Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-08-2008   #61
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Amobi Okoye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
In all honesty AO was not brought in here to be a run stopper. He was brought in to apply pressure and help Mario. Now we need a NT to help AO cus Travis isn't helping anything but his bank account. I am hoping Okam can be brought up to speed to be that guy but he looked bad in preseason.

We just can't have two DT's who can't play the run.

Oh, and get rid of Weaver too.
TJ had a much better game against the run than Okoye did.

IMO, if Okoye wants to remain a starter he'll learn to stop the run. I understand he was a great pass rusher in College, but that is not his primary job. If he can't stop the run, get someone in there that can.
Old 09-09-2008   #62
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Can you imagine if the Viking would have taken Amobi with the pick just before us - then we would have gotten Adrian Peterson - oh so close! I hope you make me regret this post Amobi - do it!
Old 09-09-2008   #63
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Okoye isn't a problem spot, but I think what they ask of him is too much. Its like asking freeney to 2 gap. Okoye should be 1 gap penetrating. They shouldve signed a big 2 gapper like grady jackson and let him 2 gap in between Mario and Okoye. That gives Mario 1 guy to beat and okoye 1 man to beat. I think its just wrong utilization of players.
Old 09-09-2008   #64
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

They have that big man but he's not starting. Or active. Or, really, anything.
Old 09-09-2008   #65
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
Can you imagine if the Viking would have taken Amobi with the pick just before us - then we would have gotten Adrian Peterson - oh so close! I hope you make me regret this post Amobi - do it!
well, Atlanta and Miami would have either taken Peterson or traded the pick but we weren't right behind Minnesota in any case..... Darrelle Revis, Patrick Willis or Lawrence Timmons were 3 very stout defenders they passed on to pick Okoye.

7 Minnesota Adrian Peterson - RB
8 Atlanta Jamaal Anderson - DE
9 Miami Ted Ginn, Jr. - WR
10 Houston Amobi Okoye - DT
11 San Francisco Patrick Willis - LB
12 Buffalo Marshawn Lynch - RB
13 St. Louis Adam Carriker - DE
14 NY Jets Darrelle Revis
15 Pittsburgh Lawrence Timmons - LB

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #66
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
TJ had a much better game against the run than Okoye did.

IMO, if Okoye wants to remain a starter he'll learn to stop the run. I understand he was a great pass rusher in College, but that is not his primary job. If he can't stop the run, get someone in there that can.
Honestly, TJ and Okoye are supposed to be the same kind of player. An undersized 1-Technique defensive tackle that is supposed to shoot the gap, and head upfield to get the QB. TJ is seriously miscast in his role as a run stopping DT, because that's not what he is. He is entirely too small to be playing NT in a 4-3. Same with Okoye. Okoye has shown MUCH more as a DT pass rusher than Travis Johnson ever has.

Now I think that if I had to get rid of one of these two players, or sentence one of them to the depth chart, then TJ would be going down, but only because in 4 years, TJ really hasn't shown the work ethic or the talent to really stick around on this team. Okoye, is more of an unknown, but I think pretty much Okoye's rookie season showed more production than any season TJ has had.

Yes Okoye needs to step it up and play better, but you're talking about a 2nd year interior defensive lineman. Hell, even Fat Albert, which is universally despised and wanted, didn't start blowing people up until his 4th year, and that was a contract year! I think that this is going to be a dead horse argument (Like TJ has been for the past few years) because the coaching staff is going to give him his entire rookie contract to prove that he's not just a pile of shit that any street FA could take over for (Anthony Maddox). I think Okam is going to probably not be on the inactive list for Baltimore, but, he probably won't play many if any snaps during the game. If Okoye is too new, that guy is waaaaay too new.
Old 09-09-2008   #67
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Yes Okoye needs to step it up and play better, but you're talking about a 2nd year interior defensive lineman. Hell, even Fat Albert, which is universally despised and wanted, didn't start blowing people up until his 4th year, and that was a contract year!
Hainsworth played very well at times before last season. He just became more consistent last year. He was already a difference maker....just not consistent. Okoye needs to prove he can be a difference maker let alone a consistent one.

Old 09-09-2008   #68
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Hainsworth played very well at times before last season. He just became more consistent last year. He was already a difference maker....just not consistent. Okoye needs to prove he can be a difference maker let alone a consistent one.
Getting 5 sacks as a rookie alread proved he can be a difference maker, if not consistently.
Old 09-09-2008   #69
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Getting 5 sacks as a rookie alread proved he can be a difference maker, if not consistently.
that doesn't tell you he is consistent as a dt...it tells you he had 5 sacks and had at least one-dimensional upside at worst. Watching him play tells me he gets blocked and redirected easily and only really flashes when the ball is run away from him and he shows his speed in pursuit.

Old 09-09-2008   #70
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think there are a lot of people who will contend that Haynesworth's on/off play and his penchant for getting really really dumbass suspensions really did not leave any fan of Haynesworth with a great idea of how good he could be up until last year.

I think Amobi really has a long leash because everybody thinks that it takes a little time for DT's to rule their opposition, much like most offensive linemen take a little while as well*

*Joe Thomas need not apply.
Old 09-09-2008   #71
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
much like most offensive linemen take a little while as well*

*Joe Thomas need not apply.
You can add Marcus McNeil to that list as well.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #72
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
well, Atlanta and Miami would have either taken Peterson or traded the pick but we weren't right behind Minnesota in any case..... Darrelle Revis, Patrick Willis or Lawrence Timmons were 3 very stout defenders they passed on to pick Okoye.

That's right - my bad. I remember at the time thinking we had the 8th pick but we swapped first rounders with atlanta for schaub.
Old 09-09-2008   #73
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

quite a few people wanted Willis over Okoye. I thought we needed Revis myself since DeMeco turned out so well and DB was still an issue; but I wasn't disappointed in the Okoye pick.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #74
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

We also need to remember that the kid is really young. At his age I think most guys are still juniors in college. He is still growing into being a man. If he is still being pushed around at age 24, then we probably have a problem.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #75
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
We also need to remember that the kid is really young. At his age I think most guys are still juniors in college. He is still growing into being a man. If he is still being pushed around at age 24, then we probably have a problem.
so we wait three more years for him to maybe develop into Warren Sapp?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #76
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Well at least we didn't take Jamal Anderson

Willis, Timmons, Beason, Revis would have all be good players at the spot
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #77
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honestly, TJ and Okoye are supposed to be the same kind of player. An undersized 1-Technique defensive tackle that is supposed to shoot the gap, and head upfield to get the QB. TJ is seriously miscast in his role as a run stopping DT, because that's not what he is. He is entirely too small to be playing NT in a 4-3. Same with Okoye. Okoye has shown MUCH more as a DT pass rusher than Travis Johnson ever has.

Now I think that if I had to get rid of one of these two players, or sentence one of them to the depth chart, then TJ would be going down, but only because in 4 years, TJ really hasn't shown the work ethic or the talent to really stick around on this team. Okoye, is more of an unknown, but I think pretty much Okoye's rookie season showed more production than any season TJ has had.

Yes Okoye needs to step it up and play better, but you're talking about a 2nd year interior defensive lineman. Hell, even Fat Albert, which is universally despised and wanted, didn't start blowing people up until his 4th year, and that was a contract year! I think that this is going to be a dead horse argument (Like TJ has been for the past few years) because the coaching staff is going to give him his entire rookie contract to prove that he's not just a pile of shit that any street FA could take over for (Anthony Maddox). I think Okam is going to probably not be on the inactive list for Baltimore, but, he probably won't play many if any snaps during the game. If Okoye is too new, that guy is waaaaay too new.
Well, there's a freaking problem then. How long will this franchise continue to pull bone-headed crap like that and get shoved around on both sides of the line? Why hasn't this problem been addressed? If Okam is the answer, why is his big butt on the sideline?

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #78
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I think iif they let him 1 gap, he would be ok. If they asked sapp to 2 ggap like sam adams, he wouldn't be a future hof.
Old 09-10-2008   #79
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Well at least we didn't take Jamal Anderson

Willis, Timmons, Beason, Revis would have all be good players at the spot
Willis had my vote. Maybe still does.....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read