Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2008   #81
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defense TOO TALENTED to be THIS BAD? . . . umm NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Moves should be done whenever it is need to alow the team to win.

And we should try to win at all cost.
I'm in total agreement with this.

As a season ticket holder since 2003 if they are not trying to do everything possible to win they need to let me know so I can quit wasting my money on the team.

I would just as soon buy Rocket season tickets but I feel like I have so much emotionally invested I don't want to do this.

Mr. McNair it's time to spend some of the money you have made on some big name FA pickups.

Even though I don't trust Bobby Greir to make the call on which FA's we need to pick up.

Greirs track record of picking up FA's is horrible.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #82
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Maybe Kubiak doesn't think Smith is doing as bad a job as some here think...

I think it's rather obvious Kubiak doesn't know half as much about football as those who post on internet boards do. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #83
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Moves should be done whenever it is need to alow the team to win.

And we should try to win at all cost.
No, I don't like rooting for the Redskins, so why would I want that sort of philosophy here?

Winning at all cost is great and all, but I don't see the coach (kubiak) dismissing his coordinator (Smith) in the middle of the season, with no chance at landing anybody who is not already on the staff.

I don't think I want anybody that is currently here to coach the defense. I hear Rob Ryan is probably going to be fired at the end of this year from Oakland. His defenses are terrible too, but it will be different.

Too bad we didn't jump on Gregg Williams leaving the 'Skins this offseason.
Old 09-09-2008   #84
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
No, I don't like rooting for the Redskins, so why would I want that sort of philosophy here?

Winning at all cost is great and all, but I don't see the coach (kubiak) dismissing his coordinator (Smith) in the middle of the season, with no chance at landing anybody who is not already on the staff.

I don't think I want anybody that is currently here to coach the defense. I hear Rob Ryan is probably going to be fired at the end of this year from Oakland. His defenses are terrible too, but it will be different.

Too bad we didn't jump on Gregg Williams leaving the 'Skins this offseason.
Ron Rivera had the no.1 rated defense when the Bears went to the SB & got fired before the start of the next season but Richard Smith is to valuable to be let go this off season. Let alone during the season.

LOL

Fire Riley, Dick Smith, Greir. Finish cleaning out the old regime.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #85
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just to address the overall talent issue. While the current administration seems to have a better handle on middle rounds (3-5) over the seven drafts, the round that is killing the Texans from a talent standpoint ins the 2nd. Let's review.

2008- none (schuab trade)
2007- none (schaub trade)
2006- Ryans- (perfect pick, you want to get a guy who your team rate as a first rounder)
2005- none (P. Buch trade)
2004- None (Babin trade)
2003 Joppru (Witten was a 1st guess and Joppru could not stay healthy)
2002- Gaffney (has turned into a decent professional, just not with long-term the Texans)
2002 Pitts (actually what you expect at least, a starting type player)

The 2nd round is where teams should be getting either Ryans or Pitts. either a first rounder who slips or a solid professional player. In terms of overall talent, i think this spot has killed us more than any other. on the low end, a team should be hitting 50 % starters in the 2nd round, and we have only two (maybe three on how you want to figure out Schaub) out of eight chances. We have traded 4 of the 8 picks. that's why the overall talent is not that good; the organization should have been trying add 2nd rounders..i.e. the place where you get good players. This spans both administrations unless Schaub turns into an at least a Matt Hasslebeck level QB.

BTW, when the Chronicle writers pull out the Texans have only whatever number of defensive starters drafted before the 4th round, please remind them that is is the organization's fault. you don't even have to credit me.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #86
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I got no proof, but I think McNair won't spend the money that's needed on this.

Which, might be due to getting absolutely HAMMERED on the $8 million David Carr extension, as well as taking a hit on those dead money players. McNair has one of the most profitable franchises in all of SPORTS, let alone in the NFL...how do you think he achieves this, especially when the Texans do not have the fan base and national following as that of the Cowboys? He keeps costs down.

I think Kubiak is asking for as much as he can ask for, and only at certain times and under certain conditions. I actually think Kubiak might be doing the best that the owner will allow on this one. Just my gut feeling on it.

Off the beaten path: I am getting thoroughly PI$$ED whenever I hear CBS analysts during the Texans games talk about how old Casserly really knew what he was doing when he had the Texans select Mario Williams. Pffttt...he was d-o-n-e by that time, and was a lame duck GM at that stage. ONe of the biggest con jobs is that Casserly chose Mario over the other two "no miss" draft choices. No owner in his right mind is going to allow an outgoing GM to make those sorts of selections or have too much say in it. There, got it out of my system.

Last edited by GP; 09-09-2008 at 11:48 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #87
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I got no proof, but I think McNair won't spend the money that's needed on this.

Which, might be due to getting absolutely HAMMERED on the $8 million David Carr extension, as well as taking a hit on those dead money players. McNair has one of the most profitable franchises in all of SPORTS, let alone in the NFL...how do you think he achieves this, especially when the Texans do not have the fan base and national following as that of the Cowboys? He keeps costs down.

I think Kubiak is asking for as much as he can ask for, and only at certain times and under certain conditions. I actually think Kubiak might be doing the best that the owner will allow on this one. Just my gut feeling on it.

Off the beaten path: I am getting thoroughly PI$$ED whenever I hear CBS analysts during the Texans games talk about how old Casserly really knew what he was doing when he had the Texans select Mario Williams. Pffttt...he was d-o-n-e by that time, and was a lame duck GM at that stage. ONe of the biggest con jobs is that Casserly chose Mario over the other two "no miss" draft choices. No owner in his right mind is going to allow an outgoing GM to make those sorts of selections or have too much say in it. There, got it out of my system.
I have been told by more than one person with the Texans coaching staff that McNair gives them all they ask for. Kubiak has said this publicly as well.

Agree on the Cass thing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read