Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-29-2005   #41
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

i think if one of the top 3 runners falls to uswe take him. Then worst case scenario next year we place the transition tag on DD and get at worst a 4th round pick for him. We can go into the season with 2 capable backs which can take pressure off a mediocre line because the runner will at least always be fresh.

I just dont see us giving him a franchise back contract, if he doesn't ask for it then we can easily keep 2 backs in the backfield which will only improve our team
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005   #42
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
i think if one of the top 3 runners falls to uswe take him. Then worst case scenario next year we place the transition tag on DD and get at worst a 4th round pick for him. We can go into the season with 2 capable backs which can take pressure off a mediocre line because the runner will at least always be fresh.

I just dont see us giving him a franchise back contract, if he doesn't ask for it then we can easily keep 2 backs in the backfield which will only improve our team
What makes you think DD isnt waiting for another 1,000 yard season before he asks for that big contract, and actually has the stats to back it up?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005   #43
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

thats my worst fear, that he has another 1000-1200 yard season in which he was good, but not dominant, and asks for a contract that a all-pro would want.

he is in the last year of his contract, so he should have his best year, plus so far the offensive line is exactly the same, so the consistancy should help.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005   #44
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
thats my worst fear, that he has another 1000-1200 yard season in which he was good, but not dominant, and asks for a contract that a all-pro would want.

Lamont Jordan signed a five year 27.5 million dollar contract, and he has never rushed for over 500 yards in a season. I would imagine that DD's production would warrant a bigger contract than Lamont Jordan.
Old 03-29-2005   #45
bigtex77
Veteran

DD will be one of the best runners if he can stay healthy. He's shown that he's one of the best when he's on the field. I think the Texans will draft a WR with the 13th pick which should take some pressure off of 'Dre, and ultimately take pressure off of Carr. It should keep the defense from having team meetings in our backfield. I think that DD's rushing ability along with defenses not being able to double cover Dre and the o-line having another year to gel should give Carr alot more time to throw. What do you think?
Old 03-29-2005   #46
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been thinking about the idea that teams schemed to double AJ because they thought DD couldn't beat them. I'm not sure that is entirely correct. That they wanted to shutdown AJ is without doubt, but I think that may be the result of that none of the other WR scared them and they knew that the O-line was so crappy that they could sack David at will and that they didn't block well enough for DD to really run well. It's not that DD didn't scare them, it's that NOTHING else we had scared them. I am looking forward to seeing if the O-line performs as well as it SEEMED to towards the end of the season. If they do, and we develope some sort of secondary passing threat (a WR or TE threat), I suspect that DD will be much more of a concern for the defenses.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Then worst case scenario next year we place the transition tag on DD and get at worst a 4th round pick for him.
Neither the transition tag (which gets zero compensation by the way, just an option to match) nor the franchise tag will be used on DD next year. While his contract will be up, he will be a RFA which means the Texans will have four options (a) not tender an offer (won't happen) (b) tender the low RFA offer which means the offer to match any offer or get his original draft pick, i.e. a 4th rounder back, (c) give a mid offer and have the option to match or get a 1st rounder or (d) give a high offer and have the option to match or get 1st and 3rd round picks. The high offer this year was about $1.3 mil.
Old 03-29-2005   #48
outofhnd
All Pro

The Worst Scenario is that another team signs him and then he puts up 2000yd numbers.

I hope DD sleeps in a hyperbaric chamber all year so he doesnt get hurt. that being said, I would like to put up Franchise back numbers, But if he lands in the middle of the pack again next year, something is wrong.

With the way defenses gameplan us DD should explode in the first half for around 50 yds and a TD. If the O line is effective. What I want from DD is a gameplan altering performance every game. I want to see Defenses put 8 in the box to contain him opening up Carr and the passing game. I want to see him step up and take on a blitzing LB. I want to see him moving the chains or getting us into manageable down situations.

Big Plays from DD not really looking for that but im looking for longevity and late game effectiveness. If the other team is down by 3 with 3 min left I want DD to milk the clock and keep the ball and not allow them a possession.

That is a franchise back to me.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005   #49
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Neither the transition tag (which gets zero compensation by the way, just an option to match) nor the franchise tag will be used on DD next year. While his contract will be up, he will be a RFA which means the Texans will have four options (a) not tender an offer (won't happen) (b) tender the low RFA offer which means the offer to match any offer or get his original draft pick, i.e. a 4th rounder back, (c) give a mid offer and have the option to match or get a 1st rounder or (d) give a high offer and have the option to match or get 1st and 3rd round picks. The high offer this year was about $1.3 mil.

Unless he has a breakout year.. I could see us doing C.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #50
Mr Shush
Veteran

No, we'll make the high offer. It's pretty hard to see Davis as being worth less than 1.3, almost regardless of what he does next season. That said, I can see him holding out for an unjustifiably large contract if he does have decent numbers and we don't have an obvious alternative.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #51
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont see us giving him the big payday when he still hasnt put up a full season. By doing C.. we would garuntee a first rounder for him if someone decides to make an offer we cant match... without putting ourselves in a position where we could possibly be overpaying a change of pace back.

I just think C gives us the best risk vs reward. We would not have to pay out the wazoo.. but still garuntee that if someone DOES make an offer we arent willing to match.. we get a good return for him.

I honestly dont think that anyone will offer us a first rounder for him unless he has a GREAT year this year... he just isnt dependable enough at this point.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #52
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Lamont Jordan signed a five year 27.5 million dollar contract, and he has never rushed for over 500 yards in a season. I would imagine that DD's production would warrant a bigger contract than Lamont Jordan.

Well, if Jordan produces at a high level, he will be worth the $. If he doesn't, the Texans can use that as an example of why not to (over)pay DD.
I think that the consensus on Jordan is that he will be a top quality back. I wouldn't be at all suprised if he is regarded as a higher quality back than DD. He has played behind a hall of famer and hasn't been called upon fully so far.
I think he will go off this season...

So, do you think that a 600 yd back should ask for more than Jordan? Of course not... The stats don't tell the whole story of a player...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #53
Mr Shush
Veteran

If Chester Taylor is worth 3 million, Davis is worth the high tender. It's not like that would be what he'd eventually play for anyway, in all probability.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #54
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

we dont need a runningback. when dd is healthy, he is as good as anyone...and we have two legitamite backups with hollings and wells. there are more important things to address.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read