Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2005   #41
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

DD touched the ball all 5 plays on the first drive (the only drive of the 1st qtr). He had less than half the touches in the 2nd qtr. I don't know about anyone else, but I was as much or more po'd at a defense that couldn't make a stop if their life depended on it as an offense that was one dimensional or unimaginative. Allowing an opponent to run 42 plays in one half is about as bad as it can get. An inept offense played into that somewhat, but the defense allowing itself to be dominated the way it was in the first half factored into it just as much or more.

Last edited by aj.; 03-27-2005 at 03:20 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #42
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
haha i dont even know how much they ran to pass in the game, it was fiddy who said they ran it and ran it and ran it in the first half. I think D.D is one of the best RBs in the league (no suprise)
I didnt say he ran the ball over and over, I said he touched it and he touched it 10 out of 17 times.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #43
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I didnt say he ran the ball over and over, I said he touched it and he touched it 10 out of 17 times.

sorry i was just responding to what ya said about davis in the first half, and according to AJ he only touched the ball 5 times in the first half. i'm just saying Davis is not the reason we were down so bad after the first half !!! But it was exciting to watch them come back to tie the game !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #44
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
sorry i was just responding to what ya said about davis in the first half, and according to AJ he only touched the ball 5 times in the first half. i'm just saying Davis is not the reason we were down so bad after the first half !!! But it was exciting to watch them come back to tie the game !
He touched it 5 times on rushing plays and 5 times on passing plays

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #45
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
according to AJ he only touched the ball 5 times in the first half.
Read my post again.

Quote:
i'm just saying Davis is not the reason we were down so bad after the first half !!
That I agree with.

Quote:
He touched it 5 times on rushing plays and 5 times on passing plays
A closer look shows AJ was the leading receiver in the first half of that game with 4 catches for 55 yds. DD was 3 for 25 receiving and had only 7 yards rushing on 4 carries. He was the target on 2 other pass attempts that were incomplete so he either had a touch or was targeted 9 times out of the Texans 17 plays (53%) in the first half excluding the spike which is considerably less than "every play in the first half." The only thing a bit unusual about that was he was the target via pass or run on the first six plays of the game. After that, everyone else started getting into the act.

Last edited by aj.; 03-27-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2005   #46
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

ok well i wasnt talking about him recieveing, D.D is great at catching the ball and getting yards, i'm pretty sure this all started over us talking about him running the ball !
Old 03-27-2005   #47
aj.
Hall of Fame

DD ran the ball 7 out of the first 10 plays at Jax on 12-26. That was a higher percentage than the start of the MN game. I guess that was bad too?

Last edited by aj.; 03-27-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2005   #48
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
DD ran the ball 7 out of the first 10 plays at Jax on 12-26. I guess that was bad too?
i believe D.D can be our Franchise starting back for years to come, i honestly think that it took the line a little while to adjust to the zone blocking scheme, cause Davis had 4 100 yrd games in the 2nd half of the season and none in the first half, i look for him to pick up where he left off next season and make us a pretty dominant rushing team !
Old 03-27-2005   #49
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i believe D.D can be our Franchise starting back for years to come, i honestly think that it took the line a little while to adjust to the zone blocking scheme, cause Davis had 4 100 yrd games in the 2nd half of the season and none in the first half, i look for him to pick up where he left off next season and make us a pretty dominant rushing team !
what is ironic.. as DD started to do well, Carr's production dropped off(1st of the season he was doing good until we had denver and indy back to back).. you would think that things would open up when the running game is going good.

don't read to much into this, it is a general statement about our offense..kinda weird
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #50
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

yeah i agree with you, but or last 5 games we had a pretty good running game and we were winning !
Old 03-27-2005   #51
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah i agree with you, but or last 5 games we had a pretty good running game and we were winning !

We were 2-3 in our last 5 games.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #52
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

well 2-3 is not so bad considering where the team has been the last 3 season,,i was happy when we got to 2-3 in the beginning of the season, and on the games we won D.D was very solid, and the browns game well that was just a defensive let down, so not much blame on Davis !
Old 03-27-2005   #53
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
i think capers/palmer are just scared to let our young offense run free, and i think that showed in the game against the vikings. We were down by so much so soon that they had no choice, and we scored points in a hurry and almost came back to win the game. I DONT blame D.D for the lack of us winning games or the lack of offensive production, if anything he is a good addition to the team, especially beign a forth rounder, any team would be lucky to get what we got out of a guy in the 4th !!!

Great Post! Bob McNair & Casserly have made excellent choices with few exceptions.

I cannot wait to see what the draft holds for our team this April.

As for what has been built to this point, I see all signs pointing to the Texans players and coaches having more confidence in the system, in themselves and in each other this season.....which will lead to more games like Minnesota. Plus, I am sure that our D is going continue to improve.

We should see: 1) The o-line become a cohesive unit. 2) DD stay healthy. 3) AJ be AJ. 4) Gaffney continue to improve. 5) Derrick Armstrong come on strong. 6) Joppru explode on the scence. 7) Norris stays healthy. 8) Carr stop worrying about his hair.

Perhaps not number 8, but seven out of eight is worth hoping for....
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #54
mean mark8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
Great Post! Bob McNair & Casserly have made excellent choices with few exceptions.

I cannot wait to see what the draft holds for our team this April.

As for what has been built to this point, I see all signs pointing to the Texans players and coaches having more confidence in the system, in themselves and in each other this season.....which will lead to more games like Minnesota. Plus, I am sure that our D is going continue to improve.

We should see: 1) The o-line become a cohesive unit. 2) DD stay healthy. 3) AJ be AJ. 4) Gaffney continue to improve. 5) Derrick Armstrong come on strong. 6) Joppru explode on the scence. 7) Norris stays healthy. 8) Carr stop worrying about his hair.

Perhaps not number 8, but seven out of eight is worth hoping for....
I agree that I can't wait to see what happens this year. I'm hoping that this year will be for Carr what last year was for Brees. According to Palmer, he only had about 20-25% of the offense in for the first year. I haven't really seen too much added play-wise in the next 2. I'm hoping this is the year he shows us the whole thing. I mean these guys are professionals coach Palmer, you can stop babying them. What I'm more afraid of is that his offense is unimaginative. Yeah, I know we ran 3 reverses in one game and then tried a reverse pass I think Gaffney threw in the same contest, but once is imaginative, twice maybe could catch them again, 3 and 4 times is stupid. I want to see us get a real pass protecting left tackle - please, please, pretty please. Then let's include all of the plays as eligible for a game plan. If I see Carr role out one more time to the right trying to throw to the TE w/ a WR running a deeper route, I'll run down and tackle him myself.
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #55
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

I think DD is damn good back. Last year her was 11th in the League in rushing with almost 1200 yrds (1188yrds) and 3rd in the NFL in total yards among running backs with almost 1800 (1776yrds) total yards of offense. I think we over react when it comes to asking for a back that will rush for 1500 yards and 20 TD's and have over 2000 yrds offense. Only one did that this year, Tiki Barber (2,096 yrds). DD was tied for 4th in the NFL TD's with J. Bettis, T. Barber and W. Mc Gahee with 13 TD's. The most TD's in the NFL were 17TD's with LT followed by S. Alexander with 16TD's and P. Holmes with 14TD's. DD's not too bad at all.
Old 03-30-2005   #56
Mr Shush
Veteran

Stats aren't everything.

I don't think anyone on this site is denying that Davis is a good back or that we got exceptional value in picking him up for a 4th rounder. I also think, whatever the stats say, that you really can't compare him to Thomlinson. And from a run-blocking point of view, our line's not too bad. It's only the pass-protection that sucks (in reality, we're even worse than the Giants - it ought to be a lot easier to protect Carr than Warner or a rookie).
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read