Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2008   #41
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dale Robertson article on the Texans' Defense ...or lack of

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
Hmmm , by my account the Texans spent four #1's on DL in consecutive years Mario Williams , Travis Johnson , Jason Babin and Amobe Okoye.
Throw in Dunta as a #1 and Demeco in the second , thats quite a bit invested in the defense. This years draft is the first I can recall them taking an offensive player in the first round since AJ . I dont think he can get by with the "I wasnt given premium players excuse" ....
I see this arguement all of the time....and look if they throw the DC to the mob to appease them...whatever... But don't be so disingenuous in your argument. Babins was a 3-4 tweener experiment that went terrible wrong. And T.J. is T.J.
T.J. is a prime example of the sum of the Florida State defensive line being greater than the sum of it's parts. So he's had two scouting misses....may I use the term bust now with T.J. ? Because that is what those two first round picks represent in terms of their production. And any time you bust a frist round pick it sets the club back in terms of years...not a season. You can root out the Tennessee DC if ya wanna...bring back a Glanville young guy. But even after you do the guy is still going to have the same talent at his disposal. If I were Kubes I send the house this Sunday just to shut you Smith basher guys TFU. They have what they have. They are going to play an eighty yard field and stop them at the goal line. It ain't pretty but it gives them a chance.
Old 09-02-2008   #42
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 72134 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

now I feel guilty for posting it...

Nah, sometimes you have to put up links, no matter how depressing.
Old 09-02-2008   #43
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
That was the most depressing link ever.

Compare the write ups on different teams' defenses to ours. Or who different team's coordinators are. It is sad.

It's like getting coal in your stocking or rocks in your Halloween sack or this.

The Cornhuskers have the "black shirts" on defense. Maybe Richard Smith will put these t-shirts in his players lockers...

Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #44
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 72134 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post

The Cornhuskers have the "black shirts" on defense. Maybe Richard Smith will put these t-shirts in his players lockers...

No, he would put PICTURES of those t-shirts in the lockers.

Pictures of rocks in the lockers is very very lame.

Defensive player: "What's this in my locker?"

Coach: "A picture of a rock. It is suppose to symbolize the cohesiveness of our unit."

Defensive player: "Al-right. Thanks coach."

What does player think to himself?

<Parcells wouldn't do this sort of thing>
<YAY! A picture of a rock. I will decorate my house>
<How long is my contract here? This guy is a cheeseball>
Old 09-02-2008   #45
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76785 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, he would put PICTURES of those t-shirts in the lockers.

Coach: "A picture of a rock. It is suppose to symbolize the cohesiveness of our unit."

<YAY! A picture of a rock. I will decorate my house>
<How long is my contract here? This guy is a cheeseball>
Probably a liability thing.

Just think - if Jack Del Rio had only put a picture of a tree stump and an axe in the Jaguar locker room in '03, they wouldn't have had to replace their punter mid-season.
Old 09-02-2008   #46
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

< >
Well it depends on the actual picture of the rock..I mean if it was a crack rock like LT was used to, Parcells might have done it to fire his boy up to get even more out of him....
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #47
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
T.J. is a prime example of the sum of the Florida State defensive line being greater than the sum of it's parts.
That's always true with any Florida State defense. It's true with any successful defense. You know, synergy.

That synergy shouldn't confuse you in thinking that FSU d-lineman aren't talented, or aren't successful NFL players.

Peter Boulware, Greg Spires, Corey Simon, Darnell Dockett, Broderick Bunkley, and Kamerion Wimbley all had or are having good/great NFL careers.

There's a DE (Everette Brown) on the team now that will likely be a 1st rounder when he enters the draft.

TJ is a prime example of a lazy football player.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 09-02-2008 at 02:50 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #48
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I keep reading this line from the "Fire Richard Smith" crowd . . . "We have way too much talent . . . "

Really? Where?

Other than Mario, Demeco, and maybe Amobi, where is all this exceptional talent that's being referred to?
well thats three. then you add daunta and you got 4. next is bennett who is supposedly one of the top young corners in the league. next is molden who is a rookie but they seem to think highley of him, thats 6. and both safties, i dont know how many times we have drafted the same type safety we already have so apparently these are the type of guys our team wants at that position, thats 8. you could add weaver, maybe he hasnt been tearing it up here but his previous coaches seemed to know how to use him, 9. travis johnson is at least an average lineman, 10.

im not sure but i feel that if you asked kube's he would tell you that aside from getting another pass rusher this defense is pretty much set.

i guess the glass half empty side could say we need 2 safeties, both outside linebackers. 2 more lineman, maybe another corner and we might be ready in 3 more years. i hope thats not the case.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #49
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
T.J. is a prime example of the sum of the Florida State defensive line being greater than the sum of it's parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
That's always true with any Florida State defense. It's true with any successful defense. You know, synergy.

Thank you for making my argument for me.

Why isn't OUR defense greater than the sum of its parts?
Where's the "synergy"??
Isn't the defense coordinator supposed to make that happen??

Last edited by ObsiWan; 09-02-2008 at 10:32 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read