Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2008   #61
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A. Green Restructures Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yes, but there's a chance he won't clear waivers.
That's always a possibility. But I'm not sure how much real interest or value Walker may carry for any other team, based on his past performance.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #62
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Someone please explain this complete fascination everyone has with Taylor. He did nothing during the chances he got, Slaton ran behind the same players as he did and made the most out of it. Walker got almost no playing time after the first game, which baffles me completely.
The end numbers in the third game for Slaton and Taylor are almost identical, except that Slaton had a big play and Taylor was more consistent. I don't know that Taylor played himself off the team.

I think Kubiak has made it pretty clear (this is coming out of my nethers from impressions I've gotten, rather than anywhere I can quote) that he likes Taylor more than Walker. Maybe Walker makes the team too, maybe he doesn't, but I'm pretty sure that you'll see Chris Taylor make the final 53.
Old 08-28-2008   #63
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
someone please explain to me how a football player can have incentive to stay healthy? nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
nobody is saying that. he now has incentive to PLAY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
... At least there's a little more incentive now for him to get/stay on the field - otherwise it was just easy money. It's refreshing in a way to see the organization make this move. It will be even better to see Ahman contribute before he rides off into the sunset.
to the contrary agent 281.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Incentive/disincentive performance clauses should be part of all NFL contracts.......including draft picks. The excuse of "I need to get as much money as I can, because I have a limited window to make it........and what happens if I get injured" can be addressed with LARGE INSURANCE POLICIES, that can be part of the contract or taken out by the player himself (from his given income). What happens when WE don't work?............For that matter, what happens if WE become disabled? What happens when life doesn't deal us the hand we wanted/expected?????
a performance clause that gives a player incentive to achieve certain goals such as statistical acomplishments makes sense to me. what doesn't make sense to me, and i am aware that this goes on, is "incentives" for a player to play in x number of games. what does make sense is an incentive for a player to work harder at his skill so that his achievements allows him more playing time. that sort of "incentive" to play in x number of games makes sense, but you cannot have "incentive" to stay healthy.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #64
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Classy move from Green, both from a team perspective and a knowing how to save your own a$$ perspective.
Old 08-28-2008   #65
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Originally Posted by 281
nobody is saying that. he now has incentive to PLAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
to the contrary agent 281.
If some of the previous posts are correct about the CBA considering a roster bonus an incentive, then the players union (and the team) are also calling it an incentive.

Ahman's choice was to take the restructure or likely hit the street. And then only earn the bonus money - prorated at 1/16th of the total bonus amount per week - if he's on the active 45 on game day. Sounds like a pretty incentiv-ish to me.

wrt a previous post, it just seems odd to me that a roster bonus is considered an NLTBEI (and deferable to the following cap year)... especially since most are paid in lump sums between May and the end of August of the current year if players are on rosters on certain dates. Ahman's is different in that he earns it weekly if he's on the 45.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #66
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Sooo.......

We would have eaten more (in CAP) if we had cut him, right?

Am I wrong when I say that Ahman is NOT going to play a down of football for us, and therefore we're keeping him at a reduced salary just to keep from having a larger CAP hit if we had cut him outright?

I am a-w-f-u-l at all this contract stuff. LOL. I'd make a great GM, see?
Old 08-29-2008   #67
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

Imagine if you will, Ahman Green stays healthy and plays all 16 (hopefully 17 or more) games and produces some good rushing numbers. It may be unlikely, but it could happen. This contract gives him some incentive to stay healthy for the season. He has been a Pro-Bowler in the past and has to have some pride in that accomplishment. I don't think anyone would want for this to be a good season more than him. Maybe pride adds something to the equation. I'm not saying it's likely, but it would be great if he really rebounded this season. Stranger things have happened.
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #68
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a great read about Green and his contract........the guy didnt post a link tho

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...offseason.html
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
The end numbers in the third game for Slaton and Taylor are almost identical, except that Slaton had a big play and Taylor was more consistent. I don't know that Taylor played himself off the team.
to add to that, their ypc were about the same. Slaton was stuffed behind the line 3 times(maybe two) where Chris Taylor never was.

This may not have as much to do with the individual runner, but if you're going to use Slaton's big runs as a plus for him, you've got to use those minuses as well.

In contrast, Taylor did not lose any yards in that game.

Same OL, against the same DL, isn't exactly true, we switched some guys, they switched some guys..... and it was only one game. A meaningless game at that.

Right now, the two are even, neither better/worse than the other, and we'll see what we've got as the year goes on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read