Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2008   #41
Polo

Default Re: Weaver, Greenwood, Reeves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I seem to recall Clark starting in the preseason game before Osi got hurt.

Edit:
last line of this story Link
This implies that Clark was the starting Will and was moved to Sam after Osi got hurt. But its not conclusive enough so I'm still looking...
Quote:
The newly-created void at strong side linebacker will be filled by Danny Clark, who is entering his ninth NFL season and first with the Giants. Clark had been battling Gerris Wilkinson for the starting weak side linebacker spot. That battle has ended prematurely, with Wilkinson gaining the weak side starting spot.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08262008...ine_126091.htm

My point stands....

He wasn't brought in with the intentions of him being a starter...
Old 08-28-2008   #42
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Reeves was definitely his idea... or the idea of his assistants. Weaver may have been his idea; don't really know if he was in place when that decision was made.

Greenwood came a year earlier.
I was moreso speaking tongue in cheek...

I don't think it was his idea to bring in any of these players...

We'll never know, but I doubt he looked at his options and decided Reeves was his guy...I'm pretty sure if he had his say he would have aimed higher...Probably signed off on it, along with everyone else, but I doubt that he was the one that targeted him...

Last edited by Polo; 08-28-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2008   #43
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08262008...ine_126091.htm

My point stands....

He wasn't brought in with the intentions of him being a starter...
Then we were discussing different things.

My point was that by the time preseason started, he was a starter. He might have been in a fight for the job, but he had worked himself into a position to be the starter. Now, I was wrong that he got the spot because the previous starter left... but you were wrong that he got the spot because Kiwanuka (sp) moved back onto the line after Osi's injury. He was already starting when the preseason started.

If your point was that he wasn't BROUGHT IN to be the starter, then that's really a totally different thing and not something I consider particularly relevant.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #44
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Then we were discussing different things.

My point was that by the time preseason started, he was a starter. He might have been in a fight for the job, but he had worked himself into a position to be the starter. Now, I was wrong that he got the spot because the previous starter left... but you were wrong that he got the spot because Kiwanuka (sp) moved back onto the line after Osi's injury. He was already starting when the preseason started.

If your point was that he wasn't BROUGHT IN to be the starter, then that's really a totally different thing and not something I consider particularly relevant.
Actually, He was never named a starter until Kiwi got hurt...

Up until that time he was just battling for the spot...

And the fact that he wasn't brought in to be a starter is relevant...

When we take guys that previously started for other teams (even if they suck/are coming of injury) they are pretty much guaranteed starting roles with our club...Most back-ups we take from other teams have legit chances at ample playing time...

When other teams take our guys that's not always the case...Most of the time they are brought in to "compete for jobs"...Alot of them end up cut...

But that's not saying much...Technically everyone there is competing for jobs...

Basically, Danny Clark wasn't some highly sought after player...

My original statement stands...

Basically he was a pretty key starter for us (an our talent laden defense [/sarcasm]) but was brought to NY to compete with Gerris Wilkerson...
Old 08-28-2008   #45
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Believe it or not, CClark had won the Will backer job and was playing better than wilkerson. Once Osi went out and they moved Mathius back to de, then they moved him to sam backer. Clark was pretty good to me, Greenwood is the weaklink. I hope Adibi makes it happen and takes his job.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #46
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me get this straight.
- Clark played for us... and we didn't try to resign him... did he suck or no?
- However, whilst playing for us, he showed the World Champion Giants enough to warrant a serious opportunity to win the starting WLB job. Not to play special teams, not a chance to be a backup, a chance to start.
- However... Richard Smith - or somebody - didn't think Clark was good enough to offer a second contract.

Is there some reason Clark wasn't good enough to hold down that spot?
Or did we think Zac Diles was progressing so fast that Clark became expendable?
And why couldn't Diles or Clark be taught to take Greenwood's place?

Enquiring minds want to know.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read