Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008   #141
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,503
Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Let's play a game, and name all the players from last year that people thought we shoulda gotten rid of, upgraded, or turned into a backup.

How many legitimate starters we had on D?
How many solid backups did we have?

No scheme can make up for such severe lack of quality in personnel!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #142
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,725
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Why ?



Amobi was a rookie last year.

TJ's hasn't lived up to his draft status.

I guess these things are Smith's fault too.



If there is a co-ordinator that could have made Amobi play like a seasoned vet last year an make Travis Johnson play like a 1st rd. DT, I'd love to have them on board. If that same D-coordinator could have made Weaver not get hurt I'd be smitten.




The talent was so great on our team that people dubbed Frank Okam...a late rd. rookie pick with questions looming about his playing habits...as the immediate answer or atleast partial solution to our run stopping game...

Talk about distorted perceptions...

I wasn't saying the talent was tremendous. I'm saying that the talent, money, and picks spent on the defense the past three seasons should show some fruit this year. If we don't turn into a solidly average to above average defense this year the defensive coordinator should be held accountable. I have doubts about him but I don't blame him for last season. I hope my doubts are proven wrong. But, if we stink this year, he's gotta go- even if we stink in September he's gotta go.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #143
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I wasn't saying the talent was tremendous. I'm saying that the talent, money, and picks spent on the defense the past three seasons should show some fruit this year. If we don't turn into a solidly average to above average defense this year the defensive coordinator should be held accountable. I have doubts about him but I don't blame him for last season. I hope my doubts are proven wrong. But, if we stink this year, he's gotta go- even if we stink in September he's gotta go.
I'm just struggling with the perception that our D-coordinator is the worst ever.

If he is, the blame should be on Kubiak for bringing him in and then keeping him for this long.

If they find someone who they feel is a definite upgrade I say go for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #144
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,725
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I'm just struggling with the perception that our D-coordinator is the worst ever.

If he is, the blame should be on Kubiak for bringing him in and then keeping him for this long.

If they find someone who they feel is a definite upgrade I say go for it.
I don't think he's the worst ever. I'm fearful that he may be below average. And certainly I blame Kubiak, particularly if he doesn't act decisively when and if it becomes apparent that Smith can't do the job well.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #145
Runner
Hubcap Diamond
 
Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,700
Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

I just think if coaches are primarily evaluated by the talent they have available, Dom and crew would still be here.
__________________
Amy glances out the window; her hair, skin, and clothes take on a pronounced reddish tinge from Doppler effect as she drops out of the conversation at relativistic velocity. - Cryptonomicon
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #146
GP 
Go Texans!
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 17,747
Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I'm just struggling with the perception that our D-coordinator is the worst ever.

If he is, the blame should be on Kubiak for bringing him in and then keeping him for this long.

If they find someone who they feel is a definite upgrade I say go for it.
Bash me for this if you desire, but...

The fault is with Bob McNair. He is the one who pays for coaches, and there's no "cap" for coaches salary. Therefore, McNair went cheap by purchasing a guy nobody else in the NFL was interested in.

You really think Kubiak thought Richard Smith was THE guy for the job? Who the hell did we have to outbid to land Richard Smith? A car lot?

LOL.

Kubiak got stuck with David Carr, and he got stuck with a low-budget d-coordinator because he couldn't pay for a big time guy out there.

I mean, come on GUYS!!!! Richard Smith is THE best guy Kubiak identified and wanted as his d-coordinator? Pffttt....

I'll say it again: "Thank you, Bob, for bringing football back to Houston. But, and it's a very big BUT...we need a home run hitter calling the plays and providing the day-to-day, game-to-game strategy. Please."

I just don't think, at the end of the day, our owner is solidly behind the concept of paying BIG bucks to BIGTIME coaches. He prolly splurged on Kubiak, and yet has a strict ceiling on the other coaches.

I just cannot see Kubiak sitting there licking his chops over the idea that he actually landed such a big time playa' in Richard Smith as d-coordinator. It was probably more of a thing where Kubiak sighed and said, "Well, I can maybe make this work. Just gotta' hold it together and then make my push for a real d-coordinator a few seasons down the road." Kubiak drank Bob's Kool Aid on David Carr, and I bet he chugged down some more of it...just biding his time for the day he could tell Bob that he NEEDS certain things if he's going to stick around. Just can't see Kubiak actually lying to himself and making himself believe that our d-coordinator was, at the time, the only option on the board. I mean, let's get real for a second.

If there isn't a cap on salaries for coaches, then Bob could have bought out any friggin' person he wanted to buy out, to become our d-coordinator.

Hate Jerry Jones all you want, but dadGUM the guy will spend the jack to do whatever he thinks is the best chance to win. I like McNair, but I think he's overly tight with the finances--There's a reason why we're one of the most profitable franchises yet we haven't even made it to the playoffs.

The LA Clippers are ran in a similar fashion: They are profitable, have a good fan base, and yet don't get over the top in terms of producing significant OUTCOMES....such as playoff appearances, playoff wins, stuff like that. Stuff a fan wants to see.

But gosh dern it, we're so nice and respectable! We got THAT going for us...

(BTW, I am seen as a bastard for having this line of reasoning...and I just am not going to change my mind on it. I love a lot of what McNair has done for us, but this is a huuuuuge blunder to have the DC that we have today. And I think it's more on the owner than on the coach. It's on the guy writing the checks, IMO).
__________________

Last edited by GP; 08-26-2008 at 10:42 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #147
GP 
Go Texans!
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 17,747
Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

BTW, Joe Marciano has done a pretty solid job with ST.

That blows up this idea that we don't have good enough talent for Richard Smith to succeed. Joe's using a patchwork of offense and defense players that either ARE playing active roles on offense/defense OR are only depth for offense/defense. Still, Joe's using the same old scrubs that our other coaches are using.

If Joe can have HIS squad playing "lights out" ball, other coaches ought to be held to the same standard. Right?

Elite teams have good talent, but they also have talented coaches at every level.
__________________
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #148
hadaad
All Pro
 
hadaad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 38
Posts: 870
Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

I'd agree with you, GP, except that they had Sherman as OC, who couldn't have been very cheap, and they've brought in another former head coach, Ray Rhodes whose salary is probably not minimal, as well as Joe Gibbs. I don't understand the loyalty to Richard Smith (other than the name similarity to the GM) but I don't think it's tight-fistedness.
__________________
New year, new attitude. Go Defense!
hadaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #149
da Bull
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 0 da Bull is a Pro Bowlerda Bull is a Pro Bowler
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

A poor analogy, but, one anyway would be a chess game:

You prepare: Chess - Study the games played by the Masters; Football - Establish techniques and tendencies of the opponent

1. Beginning Game - Positioning: Chess - Get your pieces into position; Football - Same
2. Middle Game - Countering: Chess - Counter the opponent at the same time setting up for the attack; Football - Same
3. End Game - Attacking: Chess - Out maneuvering the opponent to claim victory; Football - Same

I think the defense (Richard Smith) is lacking in the middle game (2). Richard Smith is too slow in countering the opponent, thus making it more difficult to succeed in the end. You can win a chess game with either the attributes of a queen or a pawn; but if you're not very good at countering, the pawn probably isn't going to be around at the end.

That being said, Kubiak needs to recognize the lack of countering ability and utilize other defensive staff members to compensate. Or maybe Richard Smith is the best of the bunch....like Peety was after Dunta went down. That would sure put water in the chili.
da Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #150
GP 
Go Texans!
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 17,747
Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
I'd agree with you, GP, except that they had Sherman as OC, who couldn't have been very cheap, and they've brought in another former head coach, Ray Rhodes whose salary is probably not minimal, as well as Joe Gibbs. I don't understand the loyalty to Richard Smith (other than the name similarity to the GM) but I don't think it's tight-fistedness.
See, I thought about Sherman, too.

He was only "stopping by" until a HC gig opened up. He needed a break, a year or so of separation until something opened up. I don't think his contract broke the bank. Does anybody have figures on Sherman's contract? I bet it's hard to get ahold of the lesser-recognized coaches salary numbers, though.

It was more or less an "I'll help you, you help me" arrangement with Kubiak-Sherman, IMO.

I think Ray Rhodes was brought in to eventually replace Richard Smith, maybe as soon as this coming off-season. And, it would make sense for McNair (ever the penny pincher) to structure Rhodes' deal so that his salary is low NOW but escalates somehow...the "hook" for Rhodes to come here was not his salary NOW, but rather the tease from Kubiak and McNair that the DC gig is probably headed Rhodes' way in the near future.

Alex Gibbs, IMO, would best fit under the category of "Big" salary. He was coaxed into coming here, and I bet the deal was sweetened with a nice salary figure. Kubiak has this offense running pretty well, and the addition of ZBS guru Alex Gibbs was probably at the top of his list--No more "sucking" at running the ball, in Kubiak's mind. I think Gibbs would be the only really big contract outside of Kubiak's contract. Just me thinking out loud, which is dangerous and sometimes comical.

This defense is going to finish the same way it has finished every year under Richard Smith: Middle-of-the-road, at best, and maybe less than that by the time the year's done. We've had two years, and I have seen enough. I even think DeMeco is getting tired of it. His body language and pep is a lot different than it was in year 1. I have been watching DeMeco pretty closely, and he regularly has that hands-on-the-hips, pissed off look on his face about three series into each game. He has that same sort of dissatisfied look that D-Rob had when Carr was around. DeMeco is aggressive, and he's playing for a DC who isn't. And it's eating him alive, IMO. I don't like what Richard Smith is doing, and I don't think the key players on our defense do, either.

We need a Buddy Ryan-infused style of d-coordinator...a guy who puts out hits on opposing teams' players, sends the house regularly, and forces offenses to be more timid.

What we have now, is a defense that is always on its heels and consistently relishing the bend-but-don't-break philosophy. That's absolute hogwash in the NFL. Hogwash.
__________________
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #151
Chance_C
Site Contributor
 
Chance_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Livingston Texas
Age: 43
Posts: 1,520
Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
See, I thought about Sherman, too.

He was only "stopping by" until a HC gig opened up. He needed a break, a year or so of separation until something opened up. I don't think his contract broke the bank. Does anybody have figures on Sherman's contract? I bet it's hard to get ahold of the lesser-recognized coaches salary numbers, though.

It was more or less an "I'll help you, you help me" arrangement with Kubiak-Sherman, IMO.

I think Ray Rhodes was brought in to eventually replace Richard Smith, maybe as soon as this coming off-season. And, it would make sense for McNair (ever the penny pincher) to structure Rhodes' deal so that his salary is low NOW but escalates somehow...the "hook" for Rhodes to come here was not his salary NOW, but rather the tease from Kubiak and McNair that the DC gig is probably headed Rhodes' way in the near future.

Alex Gibbs, IMO, would best fit under the category of "Big" salary. He was coaxed into coming here, and I bet the deal was sweetened with a nice salary figure. Kubiak has this offense running pretty well, and the addition of ZBS guru Alex Gibbs was probably at the top of his list--No more "sucking" at running the ball, in Kubiak's mind. I think Gibbs would be the only really big contract outside of Kubiak's contract. Just me thinking out loud, which is dangerous and sometimes comical.

This defense is going to finish the same way it has finished every year under Richard Smith: Middle-of-the-road, at best, and maybe less than that by the time the year's done. We've had two years, and I have seen enough. I even think DeMeco is getting tired of it. His body language and pep is a lot different than it was in year 1. I have been watching DeMeco pretty closely, and he regularly has that hands-on-the-hips, pissed off look on his face about three series into each game. He has that same sort of dissatisfied look that D-Rob had when Carr was around. DeMeco is aggressive, and he's playing for a DC who isn't. And it's eating him alive, IMO. I don't like what Richard Smith is doing, and I don't think the key players on our defense do, either.

We need a Buddy Ryan-infused style of d-coordinator...a guy who puts out hits on opposing teams' players, sends the house regularly, and forces offenses to be more timid.

What we have now, is a defense that is always on its heels and consistently relishing the bend-but-don't-break philosophy. That's absolute hogwash in the NFL. Hogwash.
I think you over analyze things. I definately don't think Bob McNair is cheap, and Gibbs was not coaxed into coming here. Gibbs in fact called Kubiak and told him he wanted to work.

Quote:
I mean, come on GUYS!!!! Richard Smith is THE best guy Kubiak identified and wanted as his d-coordinator? Pffttt....
No actually he wasn't. I believe it was Jerry Gray (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Do I think Richard Smith needs to go? You bet I do, but at the same time you have to be able to replace him with someone. Ray Rhodes is a good candidate if you want to play a bend but don't break defense, but isn't that what we play now?
__________________
I'm a hell bent 100% Texan till I die...
Chance_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #152
Goldensilence
hipster elite
 
Goldensilence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Posts: 5,143
Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C View Post
I think you over analyze things. I definately don't think Bob McNair is cheap, and Gibbs was not coaxed into coming here. Gibbs in fact called Kubiak and told him he wanted to work.



No actually he wasn't. I believe it was Jerry Gray (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Do I think Richard Smith needs to go? You bet I do, but at the same time you have to be able to replace him with someone. Ray Rhodes is a good candidate if you want to play a bend but don't break defense, but isn't that what we play now?
I heard Gray and Frank Bush whom is now on our staff were front runners. Jerry is a secondary coach now for Washington. Ron Rivera is a LB coach for SD.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger