Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which position would you upgrade on the defense if you could just "make it happen"?
Weaver: We need help with the pass rush to get the most out of Mario! 45 73.77%
Greenwood: We need another LB to go with DeMeco and we need him now! 5 8.20%
Reeves: As long as he's the best we have opposite Bennett we're in trouble. We need a CB 11 18.03%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2008   #21
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So which "hole" do you fill in our defense?

no offense herv, but i can't vote. CC Brown is probably the worst player in the nfl in my eyes. Legitimate safety should be list 1a

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #22
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Define small then............

Okoye and Ryans:
6'-2" 302lbs. and 6'-1" 236 lbs. seems small to me to stop the run...

Haynesworth and Fowler:
6'-6" 320lbs. and 6'-3 250lbs
We're not massive, but we aren't small either...

That's a misconception that I see has become an epedemic...

Most of the 4-3 teams around the leauge don't have 330lb DT's getting a bunch of tick...Most teams, in fact, have DT's maybe a little bigger (and in a lot of cases a bit smaller) than TJ and Okoye...

I'm not sure where you're getting those weights from, but on NFL.com they have Demeco as 250lbs...

Now I'm not saying he's 250lbs, but if the .com has Demeco listed as a little bigger than he actually is, other players weights are probably slightly exaggerated too....

Anywho...Demeco isn't much smaller than a lot of 4-3 MLB's...and our DT's aren't either...

In fact we are very average....

Everyone was drooling over Frank Okam, but not a lot of 4-3 teams have DT's that big...I don't get the obsession...

Last edited by Polo; 08-28-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2008   #23
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm just curious about how we've all kind of identified this "unholy trinity" of Weaver, Greenwood, and Reeves and I thought "If I could fix just one of those positons which one would I fix?" and that made me wonder what the general consensus is.

If you could swap out one of those players for a truly "good" player at that position which one would you fix? Ignore salary cap issues and without focusing on one particular player and tell me which level of our defense you would correct if you could do it "just like that".
Hey! This is one of those trick questions. You know, like whether you would rather be shot, stabbed or knocked upside the head.

You can easily make the case for any of those positions. Lots of great defenses with bookends, or a smart fast linebacking group, or a have to throw to the other side cornerback.

Picking an upgrade at corner, assumes that the CBs won't be told to give so much cushion.

Gun to my head, and with our current defense, I say quality DE. Lots of Super Bowl teams with great bookends.
Old 08-28-2008   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

DeMeco is at least in the 240's. the dotcom lists him at 250...but that may be soaking wet, with stuff in his pockets. Young men fill out to full muscularity till around the age of 25 and DeMeco is still 23

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #25
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I chose Weaver. I think we could get away with sub-par corners if we had the rush to make the QB make bad decisions.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #26
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

A pass rush is needed the most, that's the whole reason we took mario #1
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

you gotta be good at QB, protecting the QB, rushing the QB and defending passes from the QB...so I'd cut the dead wood first. Weaver. All I've noticed that he does well is backpedal out of a 3 point stance.

Old 08-28-2008   #28
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I voted for Weaver. He's a waste of a roster spot, and I'm hard pressed to find any other reason for him still being here other than how much he costs us. Add to it that a better pass rush would help make our secondary look good even with Reeves in it. So replacing Weaver has got to be the priority on the defensive side of the ball.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #29
Qman
Veteran

Rep Power: 390 Qman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respected

I would replace weaver first, but my next step would be a better safety.
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman View Post
I would replace weaver first, but my next step would be a better safety.
We should see a lot of Harrison tonight.

Old 08-28-2008   #31
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Weaver. If we had someone to take pressure off of Mario, our pass rush would be a legitimate, consistent threat. That added pressure would help our secondary out big time.
Old 08-28-2008   #32
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

There have been productive defensive lines that consisted of one great player and three average players. Weaver's a weakness, but I can't help but see our secondary as the weakest link on a defense full of weak links. I don't know that replacing Reeves specifically would answer any real questions, but I do know that I would like to see a CB tandem of last year's version of D-Rob before he got injured paired with the end-of-season version of Bennett.
Old 08-28-2008   #33
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
you gotta be good at QB, protecting the QB, rushing the QB and defending passes from the QB...so I'd cut the dead wood first. Weaver. All I've noticed that he does well is backpedal out of a 3 point stance.
He does that very well, though.

I agree that we should get rid of Weaver. I think we should move Mario to strong-side and plunk in a rotation of Cochrane, Kalu and Colvin (or Thompson).

But I also want CC Brown out of there.
Old 08-28-2008   #34
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

screw our secondary, man.... they've been making me want to cry since i was a baby.
Old 08-28-2008   #35
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I was pretty happy with our secondary when it was Aaron Glenn, Marcus Coleman, Dunta Robinson and ... heck, I don't even know who was SS back then... but it was pretty decent then.

Maybe Smith will find another free agent from the cuts.
Old 08-28-2008   #36
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
I was pretty happy with our secondary when it was Aaron Glenn, Marcus Coleman, Dunta Robinson and ... heck, I don't even know who was SS back then... but it was pretty decent then.
it was decent then, but when Aaron left, i turned into a baby.
Old 08-28-2008   #37
hadaad
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
it was decent then, but when Aaron left, i turned into a baby.
I thought that it was the loss of old no. 7 that made you gibber and wail.
Old 08-28-2008   #38
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Quote:
I thought that it was the loss of old no. 7 that made you gibber and wail.
don't open old wounds. please.
Old 08-28-2008   #39
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
So who was the SS back then?

/trolling
Old 08-28-2008   #40
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!! Not Matt Stevens...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read