Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2008   #21
voltdawg
BattleRed Mopar

Default Re: A. Green Restructures Contract

great job, front office,,, maybe bring in alexander on same kind of deal?????
Old 08-28-2008   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdawg View Post
great job, front office,,, maybe bring in alexander on same kind of deal?????
I don't think we need Shaun Alexander.
Taylor, Walker, and Slaton - with a motivated Green for at least some games - should suffice.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #23
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Green restructures contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Nice way of announcing that Green won't be ready to go for week 1.

What is going on? Both stories are written by McClain.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5971192.html

Texans running back Ahman Green has agreed to restructure his contract this season.

Green, who has not played since suffering a pulled goin muscle in the first preseason game, would have made a base salary of 3.8 million, and counting bonuses, could have made as much as 4.2 million.

Now, Green's base salary will be 1.8 million, which frees up 2 million in salary-cap dollars.

To get Green to agree to redo his deal, the Texans are giving him $200,000 for every game in which he's active this season, starting with the second game of the year. That means Green can make three million if he stay's healthy for every game.
By agreeing to restructure the second year of the four-year contract he signed in 2007, Green is showing that he believes he will be healthy this season.

The last two years of Green's contract were not changed. In 2009, he has a 4.8 million base and $500,000 bonus. In 2010, he has a 4.3 million base and a $500,000 bonus.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5970987.html

Running back Ahman Green agreed Wednesday to restructure the 2008 portion of his four-year contract, reducing his base salary from $3.8 million to $1.8 million.

The deal frees up $2 million in salary cap money for the Texans.

Green, who hasn’t played since suffering a groin injury on the first play of preseason against Denver, is expected to start the first regular-season game at Pittsburgh.

In the deal negotiated by general manager Rick Smith and agent Joby Branion, Green agreed to give up $2 million in base salary and a $500,000 bonus for a chance to make $3 million in per-game bonuses.

In addition to his $1.8 million base, beginning with the second game — the home opener against Baltimore — Green will get $200,000 for every game in which he’s active. If he’s active for the last 15 games, he’ll make $3 million, bringing his income to $4.8 million.

The last two years of the four-year contract won’t change. His base salary next year is $4.8 million. His base salary in 2010 is $4.3 million. He receives $500,000 bonuses each year.

Last year, when Green suffered a knee injury in the first game and was limited to 260 yards rushing, he received a $5 million signing bonus, a base salary of $1.5 million and a roster bonus of $1.5 million

Last edited by mussop; 08-28-2008 at 03:43 AM.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #24
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In the deal negotiated by general manager Rick Smith and agent Joby Branion, Green agreed to give up $2 million in base salary and a $500,000 bonus for a chance to make $3 million in per-game bonuses.
The 500k bonus was already a per-game bonus, and not a lump sum. They just shifted $2 million of his base (that was previously guaranteed if he made the 53) to the per-game bonus bucket (which isn't guaranteed unless he's on the gameday 45).

It's not like Ahman had much leverage in this situation. I was becoming more and more bewilderered at how the team could agree to guarantee his base salary leading up to the roster cuts - given Green's inability to contribute. At least there's a little more incentive now for him to get/stay on the field - otherwise it was just easy money. It's refreshing in a way to see the organization make this move. It will be even better to see Ahman contribute before he rides off into the sunset.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #25
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Great move by the GM. Green knew that whatever deal the Texans offered him - it would be way more than he could get as a FA if the Texans were to cut him. He literally had no choice but to accept the deal.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #26
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
restructured to avoid being cut
My thought exactly.

Green is an intelligent man, he sees the writing on the wall.

I'm actually very pleased with this, now we can bring him to the regular season and fire him off, and regardless of the result it's 'affordable'.
Old 08-28-2008   #27
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

someone please explain to me how a football player can have incentive to stay healthy? nonsense.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #28
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
someone please explain to me how a football player can have incentive to stay healthy? nonsense.
you mean lack incentive?
Old 08-28-2008   #29
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Vinny you nailed it and it means Chris Brown is more than likely gone. Green knew that this would likely seal the deal so to speak as to which glass back to keep. Doesn't really matter to me because I'm excited about the Slaton/Taylor 1-2 punch.
Actually I think Brown may still make the team as well as Slaton and Taylor.

Taylor will fill the slot that went to Jameel Cook last year.
Old 08-28-2008   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Incentive/disincentive performance clauses should be part of all NFL contracts.......including draft picks. The excuse of "I need to get as much money as I can, because I have a limited window to make it........and what happens if I get injured" can be addressed with LARGE INSURANCE POLICIES, that can be part of the contract or taken out by the player himself (from his given income). What happens when WE don't work?............For that matter, what happens if WE become disabled? What happens when life doesn't deal us the hand we wanted/expected?????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #31
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

This was an obvious move that had to happen for Green to remain with the team. If he's cut for be unwilling to negotiate, I suspect what he gets with another team, if any are interested, is closer to league minimum than his amended terms with the Texans. And I'm with whoever suggested we use the cap savings by releasing Weaver.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #32
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now, Green's base salary will be 1.8 million, which frees up 2 million in salary-cap dollars.
...but it only frees it up if he doesn't earn the per-game bonus, which if I was a betting man, would appear to be a good bet.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #33
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
nobody is saying that. he now has incentive to PLAY.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #34
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really think Green lacks motivation. I think he's just past his prime and can't stay healthy. It happens. Brown may lack motivation. I don't know.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #35
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 299017 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I don't really think Green lacks motivation. I think he's just past his prime and can't stay healthy. It happens. Brown may lack motivation. I don't know.

Exactly.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #36
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
...but it only frees it up if he doesn't earn the per-game bonus, which if I was a betting man, would appear to be a good bet.
Still think his #1 goal is to sneak paychecks and ride the pine for fear of being in contact?
Old 08-28-2008   #37
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

The real question is, "what are they freeing up salary cap space for?"

I'm expecting a deal to happen in the next few days, either a trade or they have an eye on a free agent or soon to be free agent.

Then again, maybe they just created some space to re-sign and extend some of our guys.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #38
Lucky

Rep Power: 191859 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The real question is, "what are they freeing up salary cap space for?"
As aj stated earlier in the thread, there isn't any extra cap space if Green is active over the course of the season. If Green can't stay on the field, the team could release him and realize some cap savings. If so, that money could be used on a replacement at RB.

As far as an impending pickup goes, the Texans are flexible enough under the cap to make a move now. According to Keith's salary cap page, at inthebullseye.com, the Texans are about $8 million under prior to Green's restructure. Whether Green had or hadn't restructured, the Texans could bring on a big salary. If the situation presents itself.
Old 08-28-2008   #39
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What is going on? Both stories are written by McClain.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5971192.html

Texans running back Ahman Green has agreed to restructure his contract this season.

Green, who has not played since suffering a pulled goin muscle in the first preseason game, would have made a base salary of 3.8 million, and counting bonuses, could have made as much as 4.2 million.

To get Green to agree to redo his deal, the Texans are giving him $200,000 for every game in which he's active this season, starting with the second game of the year. That means Green can make three million if he stay's healthy for every game.
By agreeing to restructure the second year of the four-year contract he signed in 2007, Green is showing that he believes he will be healthy this season.

The last two years of Green's contract were not changed. In 2009, he has a 4.8 million base and $500,000 bonus. In 2010, he has a 4.3 million base and a $500,000 bonus.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5970987.html

Running back Ahman Green agreed Wednesday to restructure the 2008 portion of his four-year contract, reducing his base salary from $3.8 million to $1.8 million.

The deal frees up $2 million in salary cap money for the Texans.

Green, who hasnt played since suffering a groin injury on the first play of preseason against Denver, is expected to start the first regular-season game at Pittsburgh.

In addition to his $1.8 million base, beginning with the second game the home opener against Baltimore Green will get $200,000 for every game in which hes active. If hes active for the last 15 games, hell make $3 million, bringing his income to $4.8 million.

The last two years of the four-year contract wont change. His base salary next year is $4.8 million. His base salary in 2010 is $4.3 million. He receives $500,000 bonuses each year.

Last year, when Green suffered a knee injury in the first game and was limited to 260 yards rushing, he received a $5 million signing bonus, a base salary of $1.5 million and a roster bonus of $1.5 million

Green will play week 1. The per game bonus kicks in week 2, so that the total will be 3 mil for the year. 15 games X 200,000 = $3,000,000. If they started it week 1, it would throw everything off.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #40
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I don't think this is exactly right (at least as far as this year's cap). I think the bonuses are classified as incentives, which can either be "not likely to be earned" or "likely to be earned". I believe that deciding which category it will be is done by comparing to the previous year. Since Green was inactive so much of last year, I think these would be all or mostly "not likely to be earned."

My understanding of the salary cap is that only the likely to be earned incentives would count against this year's cap (if earned). The NLTBE incentives, if earned, would count instead against next year's cap. So, I think even if Green earns the incentives, the cap hit would be mainly next year.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read