Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-27-2008   #1
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Forcing thr ball to AJ....

This may have already been discussed, if so I apologize. After watching the game last week and seeing the show "Inside the Game" on channel 13, I couldn't help but notice that maybe part of the sloppy start to Shaub was due to him trying to only focus on getting the ball to AJ. I noticed that he finally seemed to calm down when he started to spread the ball around and get the other guys involved. So, at what point is it detrimental to the offense to force the ball to Andre? It seemed like Romo (I hate to use him as an example because I loathe the Cowboys) finds a way to get the ball to T.O. on a regular basis, but also spreads it around. Anyways, just curious to what you all are thinking about this. I couldn't help but notice the major difference between the offense from the Dallas game & the last one. The major difference I thought was forcing the ball and that lead to the horrible start IMHO. It was good to see the run game starting to roll, but the passing game is going to be our bread & butter. Feel free to chime in. I could be way off base, this was just how I saw it.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Forcing thr ball to AJ....

He might've tried to force it once or twice, but one attempt to AJ would've been smooth sailing to the endzone if he was led about 2 ft more.

Eh, can't complete them all...I guess.

Our QB's have been really good at spreading the ball around. I'm sure there might be designed plays to attack a particular weakness in the defense that might fail from time to time.

I think we're ok in that department.
Old 08-27-2008   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I had actually mentioned the same thing in another thread. I think they were just a bit out of sync and Matt was really trying to get AJ started. He still made bad throws to people not named AJ in that period. It might have been that he was looking at AJ and then having to come off quickly and go to someone else and was rushing.

Once he got in rhythm, he was OK.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #4
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
This may have already been discussed, if so I apologize. After watching the game last week and seeing the show "Inside the Game" on channel 13, I couldn't help but notice that maybe part of the sloppy start to Shaub was due to him trying to only focus on getting the ball to AJ. I noticed that he finally seemed to calm down when he started to spread the ball around and get the other guys involved. So, at what point is it detrimental to the offense to force the ball to Andre? It seemed like Romo (I hate to use him as an example because I loathe the Cowboys) finds a way to get the ball to T.O. on a regular basis, but also spreads it around. Anyways, just curious to what you all are thinking about this. I couldn't help but notice the major difference between the offense from the Dallas game & the last one. The major difference I thought was forcing the ball and that lead to the horrible start IMHO. It was good to see the run game starting to roll, but the passing game is going to be our bread & butter. Feel free to chime in. I could be way off base, this was just how I saw it.
That could well be the reason that Schaub started off poorly, but if so, it wasn't a bad idea.

AJ played a relatively short time in the Cowboys game. This wasn't as a result of injury, nor was it a result of the first team playing a short time, as most of them (Schaub included) went into the third quarter. This means they knew AJ's availability in the game was limited. They also know that the amount of time AJ and Schaub will be on the field together in the Tampa Bay game will likely be zero. My guess is neither plays again until the Pittsburgh game.

Given the limited time they had in the closest they're going to get to a live situation, it wasn't a bad idea if in fact they did make it a point to force the ball to AJ a time or three. I don't recall either Schaub or Rosefels targeting AJ to the point of being detrimental last year, and right now, that's the least of my concerns going into '08.
Old 08-27-2008   #5
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Forcing the ball to AJ....

IMO, Schaub was just off at the beginning. May have been all the falling asbestos at Texas Stadium clouding his vision. Andre Ware mentioned that Schaub actually went and starting throwing on the sideline while the defense was on the field. You hardly ever see a QB throwing during a game, so Schaub may have been trying to work out some kinks.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

predictable you try to hook up with your #1 playmaking option, forcing it happens in all sports & is a matter for game planning. need to get him untracked early, its kinda important

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I didn't notice that when I watched the game at first, but after thinking back I think you might be right. Shaub did seem a lot more comfortable once he got to where he was just spreading the ball around naturally, rather than trying to get AJ his touches early on.

BUT...... Hou Tex was right in the fact that had that one ball been just a little farther, it would have been 7 points on the board and we're not even having this discussion, and we're all stoked.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2008   #8
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ hasn't been on the field at all so I can see wanting to go to him ASAP to get him some game speed before the bell rings. They knew AJ wasn't going to play that long and like someone mentioned, I doubt either plays tomorrow night.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #9
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't the Texans have reeves on TO? It's no miracle he caught the ball a few times.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #10
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, at least we're not advertising it like Mike Tice with his "Randy Ratio".
Old 08-27-2008   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
That could well be the reason that Schaub started off poorly, but if so, it wasn't a bad idea.

AJ played a relatively short time in the Cowboys game. This wasn't as a result of injury, nor was it a result of the first team playing a short time, as most of them (Schaub included) went into the third quarter. This means they knew AJ's availability in the game was limited. They also know that the amount of time AJ and Schaub will be on the field together in the Tampa Bay game will likely be zero. My guess is neither plays again until the Pittsburgh game.

Given the limited time they had in the closest they're going to get to a live situation, it wasn't a bad idea if in fact they did make it a point to force the ball to AJ a time or three. I don't recall either Schaub or Rosefels targeting AJ to the point of being detrimental last year, and right now, that's the least of my concerns going into '08.
Agreed

They were just trying to get their timing down before the start of the regular season. This was the only time they were going to see live game action in the pre-season.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read