Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-27-2008   #1
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The SI NFL Preview just arrived

Dr. Z's predicted order of finish:

AFC South

Colts 11-5
Jags 10-6
Titans 10-6
Texans 6-10

Go thread go.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #2
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The SI NFL Preview just arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post

AFC South

Colts 11-5
Jags 10-6
Titans 10-6
Texans 6-10

Go thread go.
It's going to be like that in almost all predictions. That's fine with me. It's going to be like that until we produce on the field. When we do, it's going to be a great feeling.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Queue the 'we don't get no respect,' and 'east coast bias' comments countered by 'you have to earn respect to get respect' in 3...2...1...
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Young having a regression and the Colts starting slowly. I think the Jags win the division this year. I think Texans miss the playoffs again but win 8-9 games. We have a tough start. The Titans just don't have the team to do it again IMO, and I don't think Vince has the ability as a QB to step up and win with such obvious flaws.
Old 08-27-2008   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Cue the 'we don't get no respect,' and 'east coast bias' comments countered by the 'you have to earn respect' comments in 3...2...1...
I don't care about that stuff too much, but I do like to hear why each professional gives out a certain prediction.
Old 08-27-2008   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

And SI has a good record of prediciting these things?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #7
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I always keep my copies of the magazine predictions until after the Super Bowl. They are rarely accurate.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2008   #8
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Not too impressed with Dr Z`s predictions, although he did pick the Giants to upset the Pats.
Old 08-27-2008   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't read or cared for anything SI related since a particular Championship.

Eh, who gives a hoot about SI
Old 08-27-2008   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

In all honesty, given our schedule, and the amount of injuries we usually sustain, 6-10 is within the realm of possibility for sure.

I could easily see us going 5-11 or 11-5. Thats the beauty of the NFL

Some have predicted us to go to the playoffs. Others are giving us a 6-10 mark. We get plenty of respect from some, and none from others. So is the life of an 8-8 team
Old 08-27-2008   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

fwiw, they predicted the Texans to finish 6-10 last year too. They could predict 10-6 and I would care as much.

Speaking of.... I've used up my ration of care on this dead horse. Carry on.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I see Young having a regression and the Colts starting slowly. I think the Jags win the division this year. I think Texans miss the playoffs again but win 8-9 games. We have a tough start. The Titans just don't have the team to do it again IMO, and I don't think Vince has the ability as a QB to step up and win with such obvious flaws.
Interesting theories you have there.

The Jags could certainly drop off as well. They have no WR's at all. What if Fred Taylor's old ass finally gets hurt for a while and Jones Drew is forced to pound the ball the whole time? Things won't be as easy.

Plus, they lost that huge guy on their D line. Spears I believe, and that is a BIG loss. Then they're rookie DE Harvey just signed, so he'll have no impact at all this year. If they were to win the division, it won't be because they were a top AFC team. Plus, many people aren't aware of how tough their schedule is this year.

Now the Colts should be fine if Peydon is healthy and can do the same stuff. Even if MH is not the same, Gonzo played really well at the end of the season for them.

Then the Titans are looking great outside of their passing game. VY looks awful as a passer again this year, and they have even worse WR's than the Jags. They will have a good running game again though, and a really good defense.

Then that brings the Texans, who are the BIG Question mark. If the Texans D can over achieve, then I really like our chances. After the Dallas game though, I'm really worried about the D. And our RB's need to stay healthy which is unlikely as well. The thing that most people aren't accounting for though is that the Texans have no depth at all. If the Texans were to lose any one of out KEY players, they're done. If AJ, Demeco, or Mario Williams goes down then the Texans will have no shot at all. That is a big worry of mine, is if one of those 3 key players were to miss a lot of time. Those 3 guys are to important to this team's success this year, and they have to stay healthy to make a run at the wild card.

Now that brings the Texans who
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #13
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Lombardi's team analysis focuses entirely on the addition of Rosevelt Colvin and the team's lack of a consistent pass rush.

"The Texans only chance for their first postseason birth depends on a fearsome pass rush. And for that to happen, Colvin has to bring the house."
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #14
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 79515 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Looking at the predictions for the rest of division, he must be predicting 0-6 or 1-5 in the division and about .500 outside. Says more about the division than the Texans IMO.
Old 08-27-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't see anything wrong with the Texans record prediction. Agree that Jacksonville is really going to push Indy this year for the division- Peyton's injury seems to be more serious than first thought and that spells disaster. Tennessee is a scrappy team- they've got a great running game and good defense.

Texans... we're a much improved team, but we're still a .500 team +/- 2 games. No telling how it swings but I'm looking forward to the season. Few injuries and being positive in the turnover category will be huge for us.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #16
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post

AFC South

Colts 11-5
Jags 10-6
Titans 10-6
Texans 6-10

Go thread go.
Hardcore's predicted order of finish:

Colts 11-5
Jags 10-6
Texans 9-7
Titans 5-11

Go Texans Go!

What? Mine means just a much as theirs, especially to me.
Old 08-27-2008   #17
Ghetto D
Rookie

It may just be me, but I'm thrilled to see SI post a 6-10 prediction for us. They always seem to be so far off in these predictions that I feel like 10-6 is even MORE of a reality now.
Ghetto D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #18
Qman
Veteran

Rep Power: 390 Qman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know that this will carry over, but the Texans have not been turning the ball over in the Preseason. That is a really good habit-one that leads to overachieving.

Personally I see the Texans at 8-8 again or maybe 9-7.
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #19
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe he watched our preseason game against dallas and noticed our defense sucks?

Thats kinda the elephant in the room that none of us are talking about. How are we an above .500 team with this defense?

If I had to bet, i'd go 6-10 or 7-9

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #20
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman View Post
I don't know that this will carry over, but the Texans have not been turning the ball over in the Preseason. That is a really good habit-one that leads to overachieving.

Personally I see the Texans at 8-8 again or maybe 9-7.
Thru three games last preseason, we were plus 4 on turnovers, although I don't know what the breakdown of that number was. So I completely agree that it may or may not mean anything (how's that for going out on a limb?). It is a positive that the offense hasn't turned the ball over at all to this point - just special teams. (And yes, I know there were a couple of balls that should have been intercepted, and fumbles that could have been recovered, but they weren't).

One difference between this year and last is the passing yards given up by the D. Believe it or not, we're actually giving up about 40 yards less per game than thru the third preseason game in '07. We're giving up about 20 more rushing per game. Compared to the regular season last year, we're giving up about 15 yards a game less in total. Meaningless I realize - especially when you consider that it doesn't break down our starters vs. their starters, but at least it kind of refutes the sky is falling mentality. It may not be rising a whole lot, but our level of mediocrity seems to be stable at worst.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read