Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-25-2008   #21
Polo

Default Re: Weaver, Greenwood, Reeves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I agree that Weaver has been underwhelming, but when you are a team with minimal depth, the thought of starting 2 rookie LBs is not something I'm OK with.

I dont think Greenwood is stellar, but he's certainly not a liability. Phase someone in later in the year if you have to, but don't start Abidi and Diles with Ryans in the middle.
Diles isn't a rookie.

That said...

I'm not too excited about starting Adibi either...

I'd like to see him play a little more...

And I disagree with you about Greenwood...He is liability...
Old 08-25-2008   #22
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

ummm, Greenwood, Weaver & Reeves?..... in that order, Garbage, hot garbage & sewer line garbage. I mean its getting to the point with Weaver & Greenwood that i'm tired of screaming their names at the television set when i see them getting owned, i just want to see someone else.....even if that means they start screwing up to.

Greenwood is inconsistent....1 minute he's a beast the next minute he looks lost....
weaver has like 3 sacks in 2 years....which is god awful....

& Reeves couldn't cover a 3-legged turtle walking in sand, pathetic. I never thought i'd wish for Faggins to come back as a starter....but here i am.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #23
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Danny Clark may be an example of coaching and coaching game planning "making the man." Some of our D coaching/scheming may be
discouraging development.
Danny Clark was a starter for us...

He was brought to New York to be a back-up and is only a starter due to injury...
Old 08-25-2008   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Danny Clark was a starter for us...

He was brought to New York to be a back-up and is only a starter due to injury...
He's playing pretty well for them. I didn't know he'd gotten the job via injury. I thought he'd played his way into it after last year's starter left the team.

I'll have to check on that...
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't know what anyone ever saw in Greenwood...

He's Jay foreman with a +1 boost...

He's never been anything more than a guy who knew his assignments and had some decent quickness..

He lacks strength, aggressiveness and instinct....He can't blitz, cover, or make plays in run support...

He knows his assignments though....

how many times have we seen Greenwood make plays on the other side of the line of scrimmage since he's been here ????

Just from pre-season I've seen Diles in the opponents backfield more than Greenwood has since he's been here. Passive linebacking makes for easy picking running and passing for opposing offenses.
DE and OLB HAVE to offer something in the form of a pass rush. Greenwood and Weaver do not. As long as they are starting we will be an average defense. I have been saying this for 2 years now. I would rather see Addibi starting and giving up the occasional rookie mistake but also making an occasional big play than watching Greenwood play his very average overall game with 1 or 2 good plays a year.

Offensive line should be the only position on offense that should get any consideration on the first day of the draft next year. We must improve our pass rush if we want to become a regular playoff team.

Last edited by mussop; 08-26-2008 at 06:27 AM.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #26
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Right now they are bodies occupying space. Smith has been much better in surfing the waiver wire and with the draft than he is in off-season FA acquisitions. Leverage his competency while getting his younger players minutes is fine by me. We know what Greenwood and Weaver can't do. As much as this about money, it is about getting snaps for players to fail and eventually produce.

Lastly, a good coach or scheme can hide players' deficiencies to some degree - I don't think a master defensive coach could hide Weaver's in his current state and in this scheme. Nice guy, bad fit.
I don't know if you meant to imply that Smith has been bad at making Off-season Free Agent acquisitions or that he has just been so good at waiver wire acquisitions.

I'm sure that you know this, but just to clarify for any newcomers here, Smith is not responsible for the signings of either Weaver or Greenwood.
Old 08-26-2008   #27
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He's playing pretty well for them. I didn't know he'd gotten the job via injury. I thought he'd played his way into it after last year's starter left the team.

I'll have to check on that...

After Osi got hurt, Kiwi moved back to DE and Clark was next in line at OLB.

Last edited by Polo; 08-26-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2008   #28
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86668 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the problem I was talking about. At every level on defense we have someone you should be able to pick on. How do you make up for the defficiency. I will tell you one thing, I think our team speed on defense is lacking all the way around. I am in favor of starting Molden sooner rather than later. At least when he makes a mistake he's fast enough to try and recover. At the LB level, I would run to whichever side Greenwood is on. Every time. It wouldn't be an audible, the playcall would be, run to their "Greenwood, on 3, ready, break!". With Weaver, I'm not sure. Last year I thought he was good against the run, but that hasn't helped us this year as he looks like all of the talk about sacks has gotten to him because he is losing contaion a lot more it looks like. The one hole you didn't mention was at DT. The fact that we don't have someone who is just a monster up there is a problem. Okoye, I fear, will never be that guy. That's ok because he will be the guy who slips (as much as a man of his stature can slip by someone) by his guy and gets penetration but you need that cog. That guy to keep blockers off Demeco and force the middle of the OL into the running back/QB's face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Lastly, a good coach or scheme can hide players' deficiencies to some degree - I don't think a master defensive coach could hide Weaver's in his current state and in this scheme. Nice guy, bad fit.

I know its not supposed to be a Smith debate, and again I'm not saying I'm a fan of his, but with four GLARNING deficiencies on his defense, how do you cover that up? These aren't like a guy has a weakness or two - these are serious deficiencies. Usually when you're able to hide a defficiency of someone, they have strengths that you play to. Several of the players outlined in the origional post seem to lack any real strength. At this point, I'm willing to sacrifice "talent/experience" for speed because we look far too slow on too many occasions. At least if we did that we might get a guy close to the QB when we blitz.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #29
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

When they send five no one gets there. It's been like that for a long time. Back side corner is hopefully learning and will improve. Greenwood is absolutely going to kill us matching up with running backs. I shudder to think what Criss Johnson is going to do with the lad in space.

Firing Smith is the quickest way for a change....guess what ....the same players will be here this year after he is gone.

disagree with Alex Molden....lot worse things than going eight and eight once again. Losing a high end prospect because you rushed him into the fire too quick is one of them. Slow and easy with Alex if you please. If they loose him they've got to redraft it and put RB, OLB and DE on the back burner once again. And I don't think this staff is going to change their direction with the safties...they believe what they believe.

Put lipstick on the pigs Reeves, Weaver and Greenwood and load up the wagon.

They've got a good corps of players now. Just have to be patient and hope we can catch some breaks this season. Just need a six pack of patience to let the young ones grow up. Reeves isn't dead yet....if they can teach him to turn around & locate the ball....we'll see. Everyone and his brother is going to go after him untill he does. It'll either kill him or cure him.
Old 08-26-2008   #30
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
When they send five no one gets there. It's been like that for a long time. Back side corner is hopefully learning and will improve. Greenwood is absolutely going to kill us matching up with running backs. I shudder to think what Criss Johnson is going to do with the lad in space.

Firing Smith is the quickest way for a change....guess what ....the same players will be here this year after he is gone.

disagree with Alex Molden....lot worse things than going eight and eight once again. Losing a high end prospect because you rushed him into the fire too quick is one of them. Slow and easy with Alex if you please. If they loose him they've got to redraft it and put RB, OLB and DE on the back burner once again. And I don't think this staff is going to change their direction with the safties...they believe what they believe.

Put lipstick on the pigs Reeves, Weaver and Greenwood and load up the wagon.

They've got a good corps of players now. Just have to be patient and hope we can catch some breaks this season. Just need a six pack of patience to let the young ones grow up. Reeves isn't dead yet....if they can teach him to turn around & locate the ball....we'll see. Everyone and his brother is going to go after him untill he does. It'll either kill him or cure him.
I know of no CB that was cured once teams found out that they sucked and went after them..... & "Antuwan" Molden should at least be given a look at with the 1st team at this point imo. He's gonna wind up being a nickel back anyway if dunta can come back at 80% by midseason & thereafter. You might as well let him get his feet wet now. Reeves just needs to be let go off. I'll take fletcher over him for the dime CB as well.
Old 08-26-2008   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Criss Dishman. that's one. Like it or not...for better or worse....they're going to keep running the lad out there. Up to you, might want to start pulling for the guy. He's your right Cb until Robinson gets back or Reeves gets hurt. Just guessing here, they're going to do to Molden exactly what they did with Fred Bennet. Go back and look at the boards...how many weeks did Kubiak hold fast and run Petie out there ? Four or five weeks wasn't it ? Am I a sooth sayer...no . But I know aggies and I know how this ball coach thinks.
Old 08-26-2008   #32
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Criss Dishman. that's one. Like it or not...for better or worse....they're going to keep running the lad out there. Up to you, might want to start pulling for the guy. He's your right Cb until Robinson gets back or Reeves gets hurt. Just guessing here, they're going to do to Molden exactly what they did with Fred Bennet. Go back and look at the boards...how many weeks did Kubiak hold fast and run Petie out there ? Four or five weeks wasn't it ? Am I a sooth sayer...no . But I know aggies and I know how this ball coach thinks.
Umm, he was booted out of dallas b/c he couldn't play man & now he's already under the gun in Houston b/c he can't play zone. Everyone keeps talking about "well if he can just locate the ball, he'll be okay.." That's kind of a big deal in man coverage but it should be less of a problem in zone b/c you're looking right at the frickin' Qb taking your reads.... plus, your 10 yards off the WR. He just doesn't have it imo. i'd be tremendously surprised if he came through, but i'm not holding my breath.

& you're right about bennett & kubes but we'll never know what kubes would've done had bennett not been injured so much during the preseason... he inserted Meco & Mario immediately so what's to say he wouldn't have with Bennett had he been showing more than faggins & had he not been injured alot? You know he always touts that "our best players will be on the field..". & 4 or 5 weeks is fine by me as long as he gets in there this year... after what i've seen from reeves, this is a lost cause.
Old 08-26-2008   #33
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Wrong he was supposedly let go by Dallas because he couldn't play off his man, or zone. Here he is supposed to play more man up. Of course during preseason we've been playing so much vanilla zone, that it is hard to tell if Reeves will be able to play man or not.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #34
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Umm, he was booted out of dallas b/c he couldn't play man & now he's already under the gun in Houston b/c he can't play zone. Everyone keeps talking about "well if he can just locate the ball, he'll be okay.." That's kind of a big deal in man coverage but it should be less of a problem in zone b/c you're looking right at the frickin' Qb taking your reads.... plus, your 10 yards off the WR. He just doesn't have it imo. i'd be tremendously surprised if he came through, but i'm not holding my breath.

& you're right about bennett & kubes but we'll never know what kubes would've done had bennett not been injured so much during the preseason... he inserted Meco & Mario immediately so what's to say he wouldn't have with Bennett had he been showing more than faggins & had he not been injured alot? You know he always touts that "our best players will be on the field..". & 4 or 5 weeks is fine by me as long as he gets in there this year... after what i've seen from reeves, this is a lost cause.

Well, he started for a team that went 13-3 and that was with Roy Williams playing safety behind him. He's clearly struggling right now and I would start Fletcher over him as things stand now. However, it's totally reasonable for the staff to believe he can play better than he is. He had a solid season for Dallas last year and he's got a lot of athleticism.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #35
Polo

Was it Richard Smith's idea to bring in Weaver, Greenwood and Reeves ?

If so, he needs to go.
Old 08-26-2008   #36
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Wrong he was supposedly let go by Dallas because he couldn't play off his man, or zone. Here he is supposed to play more man up. Of course during preseason we've been playing so much vanilla zone, that it is hard to tell if Reeves will be able to play man or not.
I will agree here. His problem seems not staying with his man (TO missed TD not included), but finding and reacting to the ball. I know at least twice againt the Pokes, by the naked eye he did not play a ball correctly that wound up a reception.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Was it Richard Smith's idea to bring in Weaver, Greenwood and Reeves ?

If so, he needs to go.
Reeves was definitely his idea... or the idea of his assistants. Weaver may have been his idea; don't really know if he was in place when that decision was made.

Greenwood came a year earlier.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #38
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

My solution to those three? Cochran, Adibi, Molden.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After Osi got hurt, Kiwi moved back to DE and Clark was next in line at OLB.
I seem to recall Clark starting in the preseason game before Osi got hurt.

Edit:
Quote:
Danny Clark, a nine-year veteran who was signed as a free agent in the offseason, will move from weakside linebacker to the strong side to replace Kiwanuka. Gerris Wilkinson will start at weakside linebacker
last line of this story Link
This implies that Clark was the starting Will and was moved to Sam after Osi got hurt. But its not conclusive enough so I'm still looking...

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-28-2008 at 03:00 AM.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #40
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

All three have starting NFL expereince, lets give them one regular season game before we bury them 6 feet under

Weaver has been hurt, alot but is as close to 100% as he's been since signing with Casserly via free agency. Not to mention he was brought into the mix as a 3-4 DT.

Greenwood, also signed by Casserly, was to be a 3-4 LILB. So its understandable he looks out of position @ times. Still he has been productive in his first season w/Texans in 05 he led the team by a large margin in total tackles with 112. His first season in the 4-3 (06) he finished 2nd on the team to DeMeco with 111. last year he recorded 119 tackles once again 2nd on the Texans behind DeMeco.

Reeves its kinda early don't you think? I mean be realistic here, new team & scheme with different coaches & players around him. just be patient. I know its hard but a tweak here & there (more physical @ the line of scrimmage, good hard jam/interference before the 5 yd rule, turn head & locate ball in flight & learn how to be a technically sound tackler like Bennett & Robinson) should get him straightend out when the games count.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read