Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2008   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Question about our defense

What was the starting defense for our 2003 team? Also, were they better from an individual personnel standpoint than our current starting defense?

I am of the initial opinion that Capers got more from that defense's talent level than Richard Smith is getting from what we have right now, but I'm interested in hearing people's arguments one way or another. I know from the 2003 defense, our top guys were Glenn, Sharper, Coleman, Payne, and Walker. How does that stack up against our top guys now? For argument's sake, I am including D-Rob despite the injury, because even with his stellar play last year, the defense wasn't doing much.
Old 08-26-2008   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Question about our defense

In 03 we gave up 380 yards a game, and were ranked #31 (#31 pass/#31 rush)

In 07 we gave up 340 yards a game, and were ranked #24 (#25 pass/#19 rush)
Old 08-26-2008   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
In 03 we gave up 380 yards a game, and were ranked #31 (#31 pass/#31 rush)

In 07 we gave up 340 yards a game, and were ranked #24 (#25 pass/#19 rush)
Was it 2002 then, that we finished about middle of the pack defensively?
Old 08-26-2008   #4
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Was it 2002 then, that we finished about middle of the pack defensively?
It was. We finished 16th in total defense (28th against the run and 10th against the pass). But teams played us extremely close-to-the-vest that year. With our miserable expansion offense, we needed field position to get points. So our opponents were better served to just pound away at our run defense while their defense and special teams were winning the field position battle.

Still, we fielded a credible defense that year. Hard to compare at the front sevens since we played an entirely different scheme back there. If we had a 2002-vintage Aaron Glenn and Jamie Sharper (he played a 4-3 OLB with the Ravens before we got him), it would greatly improve our current D. Otherwise, I'd still take our current unit.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

I give props to Sharper and Glenn (and Payne), but overall, I think I'm with you that I'd take our current defense. So I am left with the feeling that our current defense should be doing better than they are. Some of that has to fall on the DC.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read