Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-24-2008   #81
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Well, that was ugly as all hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
It could be worse, at least we didn't get flat shut out like the Bengals (0-13 loss to Saints) or the Chiefs (0-24 vs. the Dolphins). And the Redskins just took a hay maker of a preseason loss (if there is such a thing) losing 47-3 against the Panthers. Ouch.
AND, the Redskins allowed 2 rushers to gain over 100 yards and average more than 10 yards per carry.

Just.

Wow.

And I thought our D needed some work.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #82
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I guess I need to find a way to record the games and rewatch them.
Yes, you do. If you thought Mario Williams was being regularly manhandled by one guy, you weren't watching the same game that I watched. I watched it live, and I've reviewed significant portions of the game on dvr, paying close attention to both the offensive and defensive line play. Mario was the only guy getting regular pressure on Romo. He often beat his man but got no help from the interior, and Romo simply stepped up in the pocket to deliver the ball.

As for AJ, the part of the story that you're not being told is this: IT'S PRESEASON.

Do you really think they'd play him on the turf at Texas Stadium if he wasn't physically ready? And what did he do last year in the preseason? Nothing, really. Oh sure, he caught four passes and scored a TD against the Cowboys last year and didn't register a stat in last night's game, but you really wouldn't be worried if Schaub hadn't started out so cold. When AJ was in the game, Schaub was off his. AJ had a long TD if Schaub had simply led him with the pass.

I'm not concerned about AJ, Schaub, or pass protection. I'm not even that concerned about the running game because I'm confident this offense will move the ball. Andre Johnson will again prove to be an offensive force in the NFL.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #83
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Yes, you do. If you thought Mario Williams was being regularly manhandled by one guy, you weren't watching the same game that I watched. I watched it live, and I've reviewed significant portions of the game on dvr, paying close attention to both the offensive and defensive line play. Mario was the only guy getting regular pressure on Romo. He often beat his man but got no help from the interior, and Romo simply stepped up in the pocket to deliver the ball.

As for AJ, the part of the story that you're not being told is this: IT'S PRESEASON.

Do you really think they'd play him on the turf at Texas Stadium if he wasn't physically ready? And what did he do last year in the preseason? Nothing, really. Oh sure, he caught four passes and scored a TD against the Cowboys last year and didn't register a stat in last night's game, but you really wouldn't be worried if Schaub hadn't started out so cold. When AJ was in the game, Schaub was off his. AJ had a long TD if Schaub had simply led him with the pass.

I'm not concerned about AJ, Schaub, or pass protection. I'm not even that concerned about the running game because I'm confident this offense will move the ball. Andre Johnson will again prove to be an offensive force in the NFL.

You might want to quickly read through the MERRIMAN THREAD. You can basically equate his to AJ's injury. I would be careful to take anything for granted.

You might also want to quickly read through the 3rd and 4th pages of the intial thread posted on AJ's injury last year. Keep in mind that AJ tried to "work through" and play on his injured knee for a while before "giving it up." Now, refer to and compare yesterday's writeup on MERRIMAN'S INJURY, keeping AJ in mind.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 08-24-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: addition
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #84
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 62902 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post

I will try to watch the replay when it airs on NFL network. I will get the time in the game and the players jersey numbers the several times I thought that Mario was being handled.

I could be wrong..it won't be the first... or... last time.

Taking into consideration the past history of our teams reports on injuries, lets just say I am skeptical that they are being forthcoming about AJs' injury.

During last nights Saints game the Saints announcers referred to the Texans "potent offense"..

Old 08-24-2008   #85
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I will try to watch the replay when it airs on NFL network.
Nationally televised game.

If my understanding is correct, that translates to no re-air on NFLN.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #86
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

You are correct.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #87
Qman
Veteran

Rep Power: 390 Qman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respected

My impression is that the offense has seen everyone of our blitz's on film ten times. No one is surprised and no one is beating their man. Come to think of it I remember Okam getting penetration on one play a couple of weeks ago near the goal line but that is it.

Now for this week you don't want to show anything but for if can't get any pressure for the regular season opener then Rick Smith should be gone.
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #88
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This is a recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman View Post
....then Rick Smith should be gone.
Richard Smith. Rick is the GM.
Old 08-25-2008   #89
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman View Post
My impression is that the offense has seen everyone of our blitz's on film ten times. No one is surprised and no one is beating their man. Come to think of it I remember Okam getting penetration on one play a couple of weeks ago near the goal line but that is it.

Now for this week you don't want to show anything but for if can't get any pressure for the regular season opener then Rick Smith should be gone.
Yeah, it's concerning. However, after having a couple of days to think about it- and, to watch teams like Indianapolis, New England, Jacksonville, Tennessee all really struggle- maybe we shouldn't be freaking out just yet.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #90
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 62902 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You are correct.

Dahhmm...breaks my heart that I won't get to watch the first half of that debacle in dullass again...

If we are indeed hiding our real defensive strategy....we're doing a dahm good job of it.

And I still think I saw Mario being handled like a red headed stepchild several (as in too often) times.

And Travis....get it together or you will lose the last fan you have.

Old 08-25-2008   #91
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dahhmm...breaks my heart that I won't get to watch the first half of that debacle in dullass again...

If we are indeed hiding our real defensive strategy....we're doing a dahm good job of it.

And I still think I saw Mario being handled like a red headed stepchild several (as in too often) times.

Yeah, we seem to have the same vanilla defense every pre-season. The only problem is.....we seem to see the same defensive scheme on the field on opening day too.

IMO, our defense will not be much different than last years.

I sure hope the offense can stay healthy because we're going to have to score alot of points to win.
Old 08-25-2008   #92
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The first quarter was brutul for three or four reasons:

1. Studdard is absolutely awful. It's actually amazing how good Schaub is that he was able to move the team with this dead weight loser in the game well into the 4th quarter.

2. Weaver is almost as bad as Studdard. How many times can a DE lose outside contain on a run play, especially since defending the run is his specialty.

3. Reeves, whose signing I was very supportive of, was awful. Clearly, Fletcher, Molden, Robinson, Roberson, and Faggins should all move ahead of him in the depth chart.

4. DT play. Okoye, TJ, and company were washed out, overpursued, and totally ineffective most of the game.

I'm not sure what went in to some of the decisions to start some of these players in preseason. However, I will lose total respect for this organization (which I have a lot of respect for) if they use Studdard, Weaver, Colvin, Reeves in substantive roles with much better options being cut or sitting on the bench.
Weaver is way worse than Studdard. I thought thee line did pretty well when Dallas did blitz. If you drop your DE into a weak zone almost every play, hes a waste. Okoye was lazy and pretty worthless. Makes you watch a guy like Patrick Willis and be very sad. The secondary was pretty awful, but the scheme didnt help those guys much. Alot of the time, your pass rush was Mario, TJ and Okoye. TJ isnt a great rusher. Okoye was awful and lazy, and Weaver was in a zone. Mario had decent push, but there isnt much a one man pass rush can do.
But, lets not go all negative, this game showed some good stuff. Schaub has good chemistry with all the WR except AJ, which is understandable since they have had so little time together. They will come around. Slaton ran with speed AND power, fighting for extra yards like people said he couldnt. If he isnt the opening day starter, we are making a mistake. He and Taylor are our duo. Brown played like the anchor LT we have always needed. He held his own against Ware, which is no easy task.
All in all, there is plenty of good with the bad. We are what we are.
Old 08-25-2008   #93
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You might be thinking of Colvin #58
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #94
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Cowboys offense was just functioning very well because, surprise surprise, they do have a good offense.

Their line, Gurode comes first to mind then Flozell, made some nice blocks in space on our LBs, including Ryans.
So did their TEs and the FB, the WRs, the RB.

Except for Martellus (who didn't play every down), their whole offense had played together for a while (Leonard Davis - one yr), if I'm not mistaken.

We had Colvin in there a lot of times, and Diles, and Reeves is also new.
And neither Bennett nor Demps played all 16 games for us last yr.

It's pretty much the same on our O vs their D.
We have more new guys in there.

Briesel, how many games did he played for us last year?
Myers? Brown? Studdard? White? (Some people may think that it's all Studdard, but White was in there during the first half - as in 2st qtr - as well).

And Taylor? Anderson? Slaton?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #95
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You might be thinking of Colvin #58

Whoever it was, it was an exercise in futility...

Serves me right for being too tight to spring for DishNetworks dvd or whatever they call that thing that you can pause and replay stuff.

Old 08-25-2008   #96
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm looking for the silver lining now and I've come to the conclusion that this butt whipping was for the best. The Cowboys stunk it up the previous two weeks and so they were due to go off on somebody. At the same time we've been getting away with sloppy play and winning. Hopefully now the starters get to spend two weeks thinking of how bad they looked against the Cowboys and they go into Pittsburgh with a sense of purpose.
Old 08-25-2008   #97
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 33364 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm looking for the silver lining now and I've come to the conclusion that this butt whipping was for the best. The Cowboys stunk it up the previous two weeks and so they were due to go off on somebody. At the same time we've been getting away with sloppy play and winning. Hopefully now the starters get to spend two weeks thinking of how bad they looked against the Cowboys and they go into Pittsburgh with a sense of purpose.
To remind them, perhaps a weekly dusting of where the Govenor's Cup use to sit is in order.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read