Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2008   #61
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Marcel Shipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I don't understand bringing this guy in. It don't hurt anything and I guess we needed an extra body because of the injury situation with Green. I would like to bring somebody in a little younger and with a little more upside. That being said I will root for Shipp like any other Texan and I trust Smith&Kubes on this decision.
I think we've got all the "younger, more upside" guys we need on our roster already. Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, & Steve Slaton.

We need a seasoned veteran that we can count on. I think Shipp fits that to a T, and with Brown as proven talent, I think Kubiak is getting ready to part ways with Green.

I'm thinking they need to see him in pads, on the field, and in the locker room, to make sure he walks the walk, and talks the talk. There isn't much difference between Shipp, and Droughns, and Anderson, and Gary, before those guys went through the system.

I think Shipp will do well here.

We still need our OL to open holes...... they haven't been able to do that worth a damn. I still remember Chris Taylor looking pretty good, and Darius Walker for that matter, when we were playing teams below our level.

I don't think we'll ever see a high round draft pick in the backfield...... we knew that when Kubiak came in. I also suspect, we won't get any big name free agents. But that's okay(with me anyway), as long as the big uglies start throwing their weight around.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 08-18-2008 at 02:41 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we just signed Shipp!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #63
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I am interested to see what he has to offer.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #64
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think we've got all the "younger, more upside" guys we need on our roster already. Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, & Steve Slaton.

We need a seasoned veteran that we can count on. I think Shipp fits that to a T, and with Brown as proven talent, I think Kubiak is getting ready to part ways with Green.

I'm thinking they need to see him in pads, on the field, and in the locker room, to make sure he walks the walk, and talks the talk. There isn't much difference between Shipp, and Droughns, and Anderson, and Gary, before those guys went through the system.

I think Shipp will do well here.

We still need our OL to open holes...... they haven't been able to do that worth a damn. I still remember Chris Taylor looking pretty good, and Darius Walker for that matter, when we were playing teams below our level.

I don't think we'll ever see a high round draft pick in the backfield...... we knew that when Kubiak came in. I also suspect, we won't get any big name free agents. But that's okay(with me anyway), as long as the big uglies start throwing their weight around.
Good point, we do need a veteran to mix in with those younger guys until Green is ready to go. That being said I don't think he(Shipp) will make the opening day roster. Unless of course Green is unable to go. Shipp happens.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #65
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I want to see him in action on saturday, 4th Quarter of course.
Old 08-19-2008   #66
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Sometimes you just gotta wonder if a scheme made a RB look a lot better than he really his. Seems like Indy might have that extra special something that makes their RBs excel, much like Denver of yore. Because I don't remember Rhodes being very special after he left, and I think he was fairly productive in Indy behind Edge. Of course, all my non-Texan player knowledge comes from fantasy football, so I may be wrong.

I'm surprised we didnt take a shot at Jordan. Now he's a guy I could get a bit excited about. Pickups like C. Brown and M. Shipp are like kissing your sister, but if that's all you get, well, I guess you just gotta pucker up.
Yeah, his name is Manning... Your running lanes are alot bigger when the other team has 6 in the box.
Old 08-19-2008   #67
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Its so funny how many of you are talking about McNair's money like it was your own.

Cutting Green frees up a roster spot, sure, but thats about all the good it does. It doesn't free up cap space for us because of his prorated bonus payments. It owuld be better to cut him next year.

All it really does is save Mr. McNair 4 million bucks and give us 1 extra roster spot for a guy who most likely will play minimal minutes.

I say if Green can win us 1 game, keep him. Its not my money, so I don't really care. McNair won't go broke
What?

LOL. So he should waste $4 mill on Green AND tie up a roster spot because he might win us one game?

I'm with Vinny and Spectnatz (I can't believe I agree with Spectnatz). Brown was pushing the pile and still getting 2-3 yards even with nothing there to work with. Taylor is making all the wrong moves.

I suspect the RB depth chart might look something like this:

1. Chris Brown

2. Steve Slaton

3. Darius Walker

4. Chris Taylor

5. Ahman Green & Marcel Shipp

Brown gets the the nod at #1 due to being a crafty veteran, but I think Slaton is already knocking on that door pretty hard--I think if Slaton has a good game Friday with the 1st stringers, the No. 1 spot might be Slaton's going into the first game. His speed, and decisive running have been consistent. Just needs to show it versus defense's 1st stringers.

Darius is still a factor, IMO. He just doesn't have the speed of Slaton. Kubiak has been eerily silent about Darius for awhile, so I think that means that Darius is doing "OK" but not "Great."

Chris Taylor is sinking. Root for him all you want, but at the end of the day he has to produce. I think Taylor might even get cut with Shipp on board. Plus, we will see a whole slew of RB cuts hit the waiver wire.

Ahman Green doesn't deserve to be ranked the No. 1 guy until he makes it through a complete HALF of a game. Period.

And Marcel Shipp is very very far on the outside looking in, at least at this stage of camp. He's been brought in as the proverbial warm body. Cuz if Steve Slaton or Chris Brown are hurt, that leaves us with Walker and Taylor.

SWTbound jumped on the Slaton bandwagon. I think I'm on it, too. We need Steve Slaton to regain the form he had two seasons ago...when he was red hot and unstoppable.
Old 08-19-2008   #68
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Ahman Green doesn't deserve to be ranked the No. 1 guy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munny
Deserves got nothing to do with it.
I don't think Gary Kubiak's decision to stick by Ahman Green has anything to do with the running game. He trusts that Gibbs could get enough from the other backs to keep defense honest. I believe what's driving the move to stay with Green is Kubiak's lack of confidence in Brown, Taylor, and Slaton in picking up the blitz.

Matt Schaub needs to stay on the field, and Green is a proven pass blocker. The teams the Texans face early bring tremendous pressure on the QB. Not to mention that the Texans are starting a rookie at LT and have, other than Chester Pitts, a young offensive line. Green is Schaub's (and Kubiak's) security blanket.

I don't think it will work as Kubiak hopes. In Green, I see a broken down back who won't make it to week 5. Maybe that would buy enough time to get Slaton ready? Regardless, it appears that Green will be the opening day starter at RB. Deserved or not.
Old 08-19-2008   #69
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think Gary Kubiak's decision to stick by Ahman Green has anything to do with the running game. He trusts that Gibbs could get enough from the other backs to keep defense honest. I believe what's driving the move to stay with Green is Kubiak's lack of confidence in Brown, Taylor, and Slaton in picking up the blitz.

Matt Schaub needs to stay on the field, and Green is a proven pass blocker. The teams the Texans face early bring tremendous pressure on the QB. Not to mention that the Texans are starting a rookie at LT and have, other than Chester Pitts, a young offensive line. Green is Schaub's (and Kubiak's) security blanket.

I don't think it will work as Kubiak hopes. In Green, I see a broken down back who won't make it to week 5. Maybe that would buy enough time to get Slaton ready? Regardless, it appears that Green will be the opening day starter at RB. Deserved or not.
Dude, you're so right.
Old 08-22-2008   #70
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Will Shipp play at all tonight?
Old 08-22-2008   #71
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'er View Post
Will Shipp play at all tonight?
He hasn't had much time with the playbook. But, Shipp is reportedly a good special team player. So he might see the field in kicking situations.
Old 08-25-2008   #72
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Is Shipp going to play this week?
Old 08-25-2008   #73
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
He hasn't had much time with the playbook. But, Shipp is reportedly a good special team player. So he might see the field in kicking situations.
Just watched the game and I saw him on a special teams play late in the game.
Old 08-25-2008   #74
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, it wouldn't suprise me to see Shipp stay. You can cut Chris Brown and Shipp could fill that role of experienced back up veteran, while playing special teams. He also can do anything that Darius Walker has done for us so far, although I really like Walker.

Shipp plays special teams and has been good at it before. With the removal of Cook from the team that could make room for Shipp who would fill the void left by Cook on the special teams unit.

It could be:
Leach
Green
Taylor
Slaton
Walker
Shipp
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #75
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Just watched the game and I saw him on a special teams play late in the game.
He was in there for all the kickoffs that I saw. It was funny, on one play it looked like Okam was giving him direction on where to line up and what to do.

I like Big Frank.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #76
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He was in there for all the kickoffs that I saw. It was funny, on one play it looked like Okam was giving him direction on where to line up and what to do.

I like Big Frank.
He almost ran out of time on the short kickoff too. A half second longer reeling in that ball and it very well could've spelled the end of Shipp as a Texan.

I'm glad he was able to grab a hold of it at the last second.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read