Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2008   #61
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

They're missing

1. A good defensive coordinator
2. A decent #2 corner
3. A pass rush from the defensive line
4. Two more good linebackers

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #62
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
It's easy to draw up great schemes with good players.

I'm pretty sure that if we had a roster full of pro-bowlers a lot of people here could draw up some schemes that will work....
Again that is the point. You scheme towards strengths and away from weakness. You bring in guys who fit what you are TRYING to do and I'm not seeing this entering Smith's third year in.

Quote:
Marginal improvement compared to what ? Or offense ?

Most of the undrafted guys, free agent surprises, and late round talent has gone to offense up until this point..

We've planted some seeds over there, but I'm not really sure where you guys expected our defense to be at this point...especially compared to one of the best offenses in the leauge...playing against a top 3 QB....

And I'm not defending Smith...Honestly I don't think he's all that...

I just don't have the urge to fire him yet. I don't think our defensive problems fall on his shoulders...
Marginal improvement compared to what our offense has wanted to do vs trying to do and has achieved over the same time period including two very contrasting offensive philosophies.

I'm not saying it's ALL his fault but we should have SOME clue as to what he wants to do. He also doesn't seem to scout well or make in game adjustments quickly. Can I ask last year against Carolina it took two touchdowns for Smith to realize Dunta should be playing Steve Smith man up?

The problem isn't this preseason game solely. It's a a steady stream of concerns over the past two years flowing into this season. They're starting to get hard to ignore.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #63
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
They're missing

2. A decent #2 corner
Those three could be on this team already, and most likely they'll usurp their respected position by the end of this season.

Or by the bye week. You know, whatever happens along the way.

Last edited by J-Russ; 08-23-2008 at 12:03 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #64
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
What in Richard Smith's background convinces you that he can build a defense from scratch?
Richard Smith is no longer building anything from scratch. He was building from scratch 2 years ago.

I think what we have now answers the question about whether Richard Smith can build a defense from scratch because what we have now is what he built from scratch.

And unless this is just pre-season and what we're seeing isn't the defense we're going to see in the regular season, he hasn't built anything worth mentioning.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #65
Polo

The defense lacking talent and not being "built" up as well as offense is more on Kubiak and Rick Smith than it is on Richard Smith.

Watch people take that as a knock on Smithiak...

Honestly I think the team has been built up about as good as it could have been since they've gotten here.
Old 08-23-2008   #66
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The defense lacking talent and not being "built" up as well as offense has is more on Kubiak and Rick Smith than it is on Richard Smith.
Well that weird since the last three draft for us has been more defensive oriented then offensive.
Old 08-23-2008   #67
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Well that weird since the last three draft for us has been more defensive oriented then offensive.
What ?
Old 08-23-2008   #68
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

this guy, big time!!

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #69
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What ?
what do you mean what?

Since Smith/Kubiak took over, they spent the majority of theirr top picks getting talents for defense.

You can't tell me they focus more on offense then defense, when the top picks in the their first two draft were defensive players.
Old 08-23-2008   #70
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're missing a WILL. Greenwood is killing me.

I've always thought this, but if the Texans are going with a "smaller, quicker" personnel on the defensive side of the ball, we're going to get pushed around from time to time. Aside from Mario and Bennett(compared to other CB's)...we're a pretty small team. If we're going against mauling type offenses, like Pittsburgh, we must compensate lack of size with quickness. So far, not so good
Old 08-23-2008   #71
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the things that was upsetting me with the defense as much as the lack of pass rush was the game of "TAG" that almost all of our players were participating in. I'm not sure, but did we manage to log in 1000 missed tackles in the game??? Some of the players looked as though they were patting the offensive players on the butt as they passed them by. Others looked as though, with their arm outstretched, they were pointing the direction for the offensive player to take. Either way, they must have awakened this morning with some real sore fingers.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 08-23-2008 at 04:03 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #72
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Most of the undrafted guys, free agent surprises, and late round talent has gone to offense up until this point..

We've planted some seeds over there, but I'm not really sure where you guys expected our defense to be at this point...especially compared to one of the best offenses in the leauge...playing against a top 3 QB....

I just don't have the urge to fire him yet. I don't think our defensive problems fall on his shoulders...
I gave a answer on comparatively where I'd like to see the defense and it making strides as compared to where we are offensively. You point to the talent on defense still without any answer whatsoever we trying to accomplish defensively. Again the problem isn't necessarily the game against Dallas it's a string of concerns the past two seasons coming into the third.

I think you are being a bit self misleading with the bolded statement.Kubiak there is a large reason as to why a bunch of the late round selections and UDFA have been successful in our offense. Can you not attribute that to a HC/OC having a system and scheme in place that puts players in a position to be successful? The thing with Kubiak's side of the ball is from day one you at least saw progression from the offense despite having opposing line philosophies a categorical lack of talent across the board(much like the defense). We've known from day one what Kubiak wants to accomplish with the offense and we've seen a clear progression from year one to two and in year three we added a coach to reinforce his vision(Gibbs) and could see a top ten offense this year.

Can you point out anything in that series of events that Richard Smith has gone about in a similar fashion? I can't.
Old 08-23-2008   #73
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think you are being a bit self misleading with the bolded statement.
I think you're being auto-mislead as well....

Kubiak is an offensive guy...

I'm not surprised at all that the offense has started to take off while the defense has not...

Guess we just had different expectations...
Old 08-23-2008   #74
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Quote:
I think you're being auto-mislead as well....

Kubiak is an offensive guy...

I'm not surprised at all that the offense has started to take off while the defense has not...

Guess we just had different expectations...
So expecting a defensive coordinator in the same amount of time to have a system in place, a defensive goal/mindset and showing progression is expecting too much?

Perhaps you're in the Richard Smith school of thought. What exactly are your expectations 3 years in?
Old 08-23-2008   #75
bollocks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansam View Post
they're missing

2. A decent #2 corner
ftw.
Old 08-23-2008   #76
texanfreak
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 texanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballottexanfreak is on the Hall of Fame Ballot

what is the defence missing:

an attitude
texanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #77
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
balls!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
what is the defense missing?

A sense of purpose? Clear direction? A sense of urgency?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
What is the defense missing? A ****ing coach, that what's they're missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Texans View Post
A pass rush (other than Williams of course)

and Dunta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
They're missing

2. A decent #2 corner

I submit another element that Jimmy Johnson had right (no matter what you may think of him) S-P-E-E-D - It can't be coached, it's either there or it isn't.

Last night wa a great example of what happens when you have players that (on average) AREN'T the best physical specimens out there and rely on instinct and fail to execute the scheme correctly. The Texans simply can't win a side-to-side running contest against the Cowboys.

Football 102: This is what people talk about when they're discussing 'upside'. These are usually very PHYSICALLY gifted players who need to be 'coached up'.
Old 08-23-2008   #78
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfreak View Post
what is the defence missing:

an attitude

the announcers were saying in a chat with DeMeco before the game, that he had stated he wants the Texans Defense to have a reputation as being tough and physical. On line with the Ravens and Pittsburgh, etc.

I think he's going to have to wait awhile until he gets either more talent around him, or just the right ones.

kinda depressing as I do not want to see his prime years wasted as we build our D to what his, and I think most of our vision is for our team.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #79
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And I don't see how they don't.
Think of it this way:
On offense we wanted to better implement the ZBS to make our running game more effective. We went out and got Alex Gibbs who immediately - IMMEDIATELY - set about getting OLs who were able to execute his scheme and getting rid of those who couldn't. Spencer, McKinney, Weary, all gone because they didn't fit the scheme.

You mentioned the Titans and Giants.
The Titans get guys like Haynesworth and Van den Bosche(sp?) on the line because they want to mug you. Their M.O. is to beat the other team up. Even their DBs are hitters. And those are the kind of guys they go after. Maulers. If you won't hit and hit hard, you don't play for Jeff Fisher.
The Giants and the Colts go after speed and quickness because their defenses depend on the ability of their guys to quickly swarm to the ball or speed rush the passer. If you don't have good hands and feet and the ability to shed blocking you can't play defense for either of those teams.

Again, what's our defensive M.O.?
What does Richard Smith want in a player??

I have no clue. And we've been asking this for at least two years.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #80
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Spencer, McKinney, Weary, all gone because they didn't fit the scheme.
Really ?

That's why they're gone ?

I'm done with the Richard Smith Talk...

I disagree with you guys. No biggie.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read