Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2008   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fire richard smith!!!

If only Schaub could have one of his normal game, the D would have look better.

Ryans has been quite mediocre this whole pre-season!
He's been clearly outplayed by the "untalented" Diles.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #42
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm seeing us being like Indy offense is going look good but things are going to have to wait until the defense catches up.

The biggest problem I keep coming up with is what does our defense look like with more talent for Richard Smith like I keep hearing. What is the identity of Richard Smith's vision for our defense? I know we're not entirely the most talented defense just yet but a good coordinator could at least come up with something scheme-wise to help. Seeing our D-line drop into a zone blitz is painful.

My biggest concern is how the team can't seem to carry over where they left off the season before. Seems about a little over half way through the season they get what Richard smith supposedly wants or he gets a bit more aggressive in play calling or really I don't know. His third year it's one thing to have the fans confused at to what you are attempting to do but...when the players don't look like they get it. That's a bigger problem.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #43
Polo

I don't think hiring a new defensive co-ordinator will solve a whole lot...

Smith isn't the best guy for the job, but I'm not going to place too much of a burden on him for our defense not performing like we want them to...

I'm just happy that we're making strides to make the team better...

I think folks need to temper their expectations a bit....

Greenwood Sucks (been saying that for years and no one would listen)
Zach Diles is good. He's just not that experienced.

Reeves Sucks. Bennett will make some plays this year, but he will get beat a bunch too. He's young.

I'm not too worried about our safeties. Neither are spectacular but I think they are both solid/o.k

I'm actually o.k with our DT's. Yeah they get pushed around some but I think they make up for it with their pursuit. I mean...They did perform pretty well on the goaline last night...

On the D-line I'm more concerend with Weaver....He's nothing....Given the fact that his contract makes it difficult to cut him I'd just have him be a reserve guy for every position...

Not sure what you guys wanted Smith to do last night....I mean...The commentator even said that both teams had agreed to keep it fairly vanilla because they wanted to see where their players were at physically compared to their competition...

Besides that...he doesn't have much to work with...

Folks will complain about how sorry the entire defense is and that we really only have two players worth a damn, but then they get mad at Smith when he doesn't turn a type writer into a pentium III processor....

Like I said...He's not great...He's not terrible....

I'm more concerned with some of the players we have on the field at this point: Weaver, Greewood, Reeves are all terrible and that ain't Richard Smith's fault...
Old 08-23-2008   #44
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't think hiring a new defensive co-ordinator will solve a whole lot...

Smith isn't the best guy for the job, but I'm not going to place too much of a burden on him for our defense not performing like we want them to...

I'm just happy that we're making strides to make the team better...

I think folks need to temper their expectations a bit....

Greenwood Sucks (been saying that for years and no one would listen)
Zach Diles is good. He's just not that experienced.

Reeves Sucks. Bennett will make some plays this year, but he will get beat a bunch too. He's young.

I'm not too worried about our safeties. Neither are spectacular but I think they are both solid/o.k

I'm actually o.k with our DT's. Yeah they get pushed around some but I think they make up for it with their pursuit. I mean...They did perform pretty well on the goaline last night...

On the D-line I'm more concerend with Weaver....He's nothing....Given the fact that his contract makes it difficult to cut him I'd just have him be a reserve guy for every position...

Not sure what you guys wanted Smith to do last night....I mean...The commentator even said that both teams had agreed to keep it fairly vanilla because they wanted to see where their players were at physically compared to their competition...

Besides that...he doesn't have much to work with...

Folks will complain about how sorry the entire defense is and that we really only have two players worth a damn, but then they get mad at Smith when he doesn't turn a type writer into a pentium III processor....

Like I said...He's not great...He's not terrible....

I'm more concerned with some of the players we have on the field at this point: Weaver, Greewood, Reeves are all terrible and that ain't Richard Smith's fault...
Why is it the Texans are the only ones that honor these gentlemen's agreements? Once Dallas came out and started blitzing and stunting, all bets should have been off at that point.

No. When you drop your linebackers back 10 yards deep for pass coverage it seems to reason that there is a a zone there ready for exploitation. That's what Dallas did.

Do the Texans have some position weaknesses? Absolutely. Is that the only problem? Definitely not! A good DC finds a way to minimize the weaknesses he has.

Last edited by Pantherstang84; 08-23-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: punctuation error
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #45
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 101 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Why is the Texans are the only ones that honor these gentlemen's agreements? Once Dallas came out and started blitzing and stunting, all bets should have been off at that point.

No. When you drop your linebackers back 10 yards deep for pass coverage it seems to reason that there is a a zone there ready for exploitation. That's what Dallas did.

Do the Texans have some position weaknesses? Absolutely. Is that the only problem? Definitely not! A good DC finds a way to minimize the weaknesses he has.
i agree with this post. he is not using our strengths well enough and can't seem to the most out of his players and talent he already has. that is what a good DC would do.
fikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #46
Polo

Quote:
Why is the Texans are the only ones that honor these gentlemen's agreements? Once Dallas came out and started blitzing and stunting, all bets should have been off at that point.

Even the best D-coordinator in the leauge would have had trouble trying to get these guys to stop THAT offense last night...

I'm not buying the hype...sorry...

Like I said...Smith ain't great and he can be upgraded....He ain't the devil either...
Old 08-23-2008   #47
Polo

Quote:
Why is it the Texans are the only ones that honor these gentlemen's agreements? Once Dallas came out and started blitzing and stunting, all bets should have been off at that point.
Listen to yourself...

That makes no sense...

We are an up and coming team trying to figure ourselves out...

We want them to throw the kitchen sink at us because we'll be facing pitt in wk 1...both teams run the 3-4 and since we don't see it often it'd only make sense for us to want them to show us as much as possible...

And as far as us not blitzing much it only makes sense that we'd want to see what our guys can do physically without having to scheme someone to death..

Besides that..we blitzed several times last night...But when the guys you're blitzing aren't that good at it, they normally won't get there...
Old 08-23-2008   #48
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
If only Schaub could have one of his normal game, the D would have look better.

Ryans has been quite mediocre this whole pre-season!
He's been clearly outplayed by the "untalented" Diles.
Do you even think before you post? What the heck does he have to prove in this pre-season? I think he's done enough in the last two years to be able to coast during games that doesn't count. Diles on the otherhand, is starting for the first time. If he doesn't play hard during these games then he could be endanger of being replace by Bentley, which he was early on in TC.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #49
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Listen to yourself...

That makes no sense...

We are an up and coming team trying to figure ourselves out...

We want them to throw the kitchen sink at us because we'll be facing pitt in wk 1...both teams run the 3-4 and since we don't see it often it'd only make sense for us to want them to show us as much as possible...

And as far as us not blitzing much it only makes sense that we'd want to see what our guys can do physically without having to scheme someone to death..

Besides that..we blitzed several times last night...But when the guys you're blitzing aren't that good at it, they normally won't get there...
You know this reminds of the QB or O-line arguments we had a few years ago around here. Actually, both sides were right. So you start at the top and and work your way down.

It's funny how dismal the Texans defense performed last year during the first 10 or so games. They made Joey Harrington, Trent Green and Cleo Lemon look like Pro Bowlers. Care to tell me which teams those 3 QBs are starting for this year?

Suddenly, the defense started performing better even with Dunta gone. What changed? The players or the scheme?

I'll let you ponder that one for a few minutes.

Last edited by Pantherstang84; 08-23-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2008   #50
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...He ain't the devil either...
He just may be............

Just kidding man.

I agree with you. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Dallas(actually I hate them more than any other sports franchise on Earth), they looked pretty damn good last night, a lot of teams would have had their difficulties with them. The Texans have some good talent and they don't seem to have improved from last season. Lets wait and see how they look when it comes to the games that count. If it continues to be the same way this season I think there needs to be a change.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #51
Polo

Quote:
Suddenly, the defense started performing better even with Dunta gone. What changed? The players or the scheme?

I'll let you ponder that one for a few minutes.
I'm about to stop dignifying these comments with respones....

in 1,2,.................
Old 08-23-2008   #52
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Quote:
I'm about to stop dignifying these comments with respones....

in 1,2,.................
lol
Old 08-23-2008   #53
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

the defense played like shit last night. sounds like this is something new to houston by the way you guys keep going on about it. it wasn't just the bad players either (Reeves and Weaver come to mind) Bennett missed a tackle which gained their WR an extra 15 yards for example. on the other hand we forced two turnovers on defense. im an optimist and a wait and see guy, so im hoping that there was some grander reason why i didn't see a big rush from Colvin, Williams, Thompson, and Okoye every down and if week one comes and big ben is standing in the pocket picking away our agreeably terrible secondary without any pressure than ill question Smiths ways but until then i cant and won't throw him to the dogs for a bad preseason game... and i hate Jerry Jones as much as you do
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You seem to be under the assumption that we weren't blitzing and stunting. But we WERE blitzing and stunting. We just weren't doing it successfully.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Do you even think before you post? What the heck does he have to prove in this pre-season? I think he's done enough in the last two years to be able to coast during games that doesn't count. Diles on the otherhand, is starting for the first time. If he doesn't play hard during these games then he could be endanger of being replace by Bentley, which he was early on in TC.
Obviously, you have not read all of my posts!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #56
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

No pink soap for an avatar to gather the masses, but...

OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read