Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2008   #21
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

A great big ol' fat boy right in the middle of the line. Shut down the other teams guards and center. Albert Hainsworth (sp) comes to mind. Our DT are too small.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #22
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario made some big plays, but where ae the Sacks!!!!!!!!
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We just need a few live chickens or frogs so the guys can learn to tackle!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #24
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

A good secondary
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Rabies .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'd rather see young players like Cochran, Adibi, and Molden out there, instead of vets who just don't have it. I'm tired of waiting for guys like Weaver to live up to their contract. I don't care if the young guys make mistakes. As long as they do it running.

Smith has a couple of games to get this together. I've seen coordinators replaced during the season. Right here in Houston.
Id like to see Okam mixed in this cocktail. We need some size inside....TJ and Okoye are getting manhandled and pushed around. They are good in pursuit and running to the ball but don't look all that great when run at...and they also struggle at keeping the guards off of DeMeco.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #27
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Id like to see Okam mixed in this cocktail. We need some size inside....TJ and Okoye are getting manhandled and pushed around. They are good in pursuit and running to the ball but don't look all that great when run at...and they also struggle at keeping the guards off of DeMeco.
I agree... also, I think Dejuan Robinson has to make the team. He's actually getting penetration which is something we're not getting anywhere else... My DL keepers now:

Mario
Cochran
Kalu
Okoye
TJ
Maddox
Colvin (maybe he's just doggin' it in the pre-season?)
Robinson
Okam
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #28
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My analysis of the defense.

Overall:

The Texans are missing a lot of players in the primes of their careers because we drafted defense so poorly for so long and gave away draft picks with little in return. This means that a lot of our defensive players who are promising are too young. And there are not that many very talented older accomplished mentors to help them along. We have a lot of really young players, a few ancient players, and few in the middle.

Defensive Line. As Kubiak mentioned at the end of last season, the defensive line is imbalanced. Part of that is because of the transitioning from the 3-4 and dealing with those personnel.

DE: It's Mario on one side and no good options on the other side.
DT: Amobi and TJ play the same position and when they are on the field together they are small. Okam is young but more suitable to play next to Amobi/TJ.

Linebackers. It's DeMeco and a bunch of make-dos and young guys.

Safeties. It has been the weakness of the team since the beginning. We've never seen great safety play. Call it the Matt Stevens curse, if you will.

CBs. They are the most inexperienced group the Texans have ever fielded. That means it would take a miracle for them to be really really good even if they will be some day. I still have a hard time seeing Robinson shaking off rust and coming back full speed this season.

Depth. Lots of players doesn't mean lots of depth. In sum, Richard Justice was being disingenous or perhaps just plain ill-informed when he said,"For the first time, the Texans enter a season without a glaring weakness." I read that and went wha?

The freaking defense has been near the bottom of the league in just about every statistical category for the last three seasons. To move from bottom to even average meant that they needed some big improvement in play and coaching. What were the great acquisitions that meant that the defense was going to be all better?
Old 08-23-2008   #29
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Bigger, tougher, meaner, faster.
Old 08-23-2008   #30
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Taylor Mays

Can't help it, I'm excited about my Trojans this year.

Hope the Texans keep up.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #31
Chicagotexan1
Hall of Fame

Location: In a van down by the river next to another van down by the river
Rep Power: 52 Chicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respected

What is the Defense Missing? The ability to defend. I am officially concerned.
Old 08-23-2008   #32
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Okam needs to start. We need a big fatass in the middle and TJ is officially a bust.

Weaver is terrible and can't rush the pass or stop the run. Start someone else.

Zach Diles... starting?
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #33
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Taylor Mays

Can't help it, I'm excited about my Trojans this year.

Hope the Texans keep up.
A 6'4" 225lb Safety with incredible range that can hit like a mac truck? Wow, I think I'll put one of those on my Texans Christmas List.

As far as what the defense needs, a better DC plain and simple. Most of us want to blame the DBs, but it all starts with the poor scheming of Richard Smith. The Giants won the Super Bowl last year and none of us can name five of their DBs off the top of our head. Hell, the Titans play in our division and I can't name the starters in their secondary! But they have really good defenses because they have really good DC. Jerry Gray, Frank Bush, anybody besides Richard Smith right now. Pull the trigger KubesPLEASE GET RID OF RICHARD SMITH!!!
Old 08-23-2008   #34
Polo

Just because you can't name the players doesn't mean they aren't good...
Old 08-23-2008   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
TOUCHE!

(No offense to any individual!)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #36
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

A. the cowgirls O line is very good

B. its preseason, im sure they were told not to strain themselves and remember its practice, im not worried about our D line, or our Lbs, but i am on the fence about or DBs....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #37
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

tackles
PBUs- Play broken up
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #38
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
So am I to believe that the Giants and Titans have players in their secondaries that are that much better than the ones on the Texans? Are Aaron Ross and Courtland Finnegan that much better than Fred Bennett? Are whoever starts at safety for these teams that much better than Demps and Brown? I really don't know. One thing I do know for sure-These teams have good DCs, the Texans don't, period.
Old 08-23-2008   #39
Polo

Folks are confused around here...

"The players suck...Our entire secondary is garbage and we only have one LB and one D-lineman that do anything"

"Fire the D-coordinator"

Why? Because he can't make guys who aren't worth a damn shut down one of the best and most talented offenses in the leauge ?

Puhhhlease....
Old 08-23-2008   #40
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
So am I to believe that the Giants and Titans have players in their secondaries that are that much better than the ones on the Texans? Are Aaron Ross and Courtland Finnegan that much better than Fred Bennett? Are whoever starts at safety for these teams that much better than Demps and Brown? I really don't know. One thing I do know for sure-These teams have good DCs, the Texans don't, period.
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I'd venture to say that most NFL fans have no idea who our recievers are outside of Andre Johnson....I guess they all must suck too...And sometimes lunch pail, blue collar, play hard all the time guys just don't get the recognition...

There are a lot of obscure players around the NFL that contribute simply because the team knows how to draft/sign players that fit what they do..

And yes...I'd say Aaron Ross and Courtland Finnegan are better than Bennett..Aaron Ross is actually pretty damn good IMHO....

But besides all that...Look at the Titans and Giants Defense overall...look at their Linebackers and D-lines....

I'm pretty sure Richard Smith could do more with those defenses simply because of personnel.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read