Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2008   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What is the Defense Missing?

OK. I've seen the fire Smith thread. I completely disagree. I think what we saw today, with relatively vanila offense vs relatively vanilla defense, is that we don't have the talent yet. Our DBs were HORRIBLE. Our LBS were slow and our DL was ineffective in the pass rush. In the preseason, that's not the coordinator. That's the players. The fact is we have several HUGE holes on this defense.

First, our CBs. With the exception of a few plays, the whole group looked awful. I know Romo had time to throw, but no one was effectively covered even from the start of several plays. Bennett has potential but I didn't see anyone else that resembled NFL coverage. DC can't do that, oh and you can't really blitz effectively if you can't cover.

Our LBs. Tackling was terrible all the way around. I love Ryans, but he looked flat tonight. Very flat. Diles had a decent game, but other than the interception, he was getting drug around too.

Our DL was decent against the run, but provided NO pass rush at all. Very few times was anyone close to Romo. I'm speaking of the first team because that's really what matters from this game.

This was a bad game all around by our defense but it doesn't lie at the DCs feet. This is the preseason, and this is vanilla vs vanilla. Its quite obvious that physically we can't (or failed to if we can) compete with them physically. If someone was out there dominating physically and we then turn in a horrible season, then you know its on the DC. We really need to find someone to rush the passer opposite MW. He was getting double teamed all night long and if he's doing that, hes done his job. He's occupying 2 blockers so we should have an advantage. I really don't know how you fix this.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #2
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Fire SMITH! This is the 3rd year that we have not seen anything creative fromm the scheme. You cannot rely on 4 guys to always get pressure, especially on a PRO BOWL dominated offensive line! Fire him on Monday!
pittbull3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
what is the defense missing?
balls!

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

what is the defense missing?

A sense of purpose? Clear direction? A sense of urgency?
Old 08-22-2008   #5
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

They had no fire from the beginning of the game. They played like it was a preseason game. We'll have something to worry about if they play this way against the Steelers on opening day.
Old 08-22-2008   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

What is the defense missing? A ****ing coach, that what's they're missing.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Without a pass rush, this secondary will continue to get exposed. The secondary is already not great, so it can ill afford to go without help from the front four. With what the team has invested in the front four, there is ZERO excuse for the pathetic pass rush that we saw tonight.

The LB corps needs work, but the expectations aren't as high, outside of Ryans. The secondary has a 4th round pick that we're all high on, a scrub that the Cowboys let go, and a handful of late round picks and journeymen. The D-Line consists of three 1st round picks, a free agent signing that more was expected of, and role players that have outplayed the starters some of the time.
Old 08-22-2008   #8
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
What is the defense missing? A ****ing coach, that what's they're missing.
Could someone direct me to the hire Frank Bush thread?
Old 08-22-2008   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 161176 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather see young players like Cochran, Adibi, and Molden out there, instead of vets who just don't have it. I'm tired of waiting for guys like Weaver to live up to their contract. I don't care if the young guys make mistakes. As long as they do it running.

Smith has a couple of games to get this together. I've seen coordinators replaced during the season. Right here in Houston.
Old 08-22-2008   #10
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 26739 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Incorrect punctuation in the thread title:

What... is the defense missing?

To which the answer is clearly: yes.

I've felt optimistic all throughout the summer, but after watching all three pre-season games, it looks like we're going nowhere. This defense cannot get us to the play-offs, plain and simple.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #11
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

A coach that has a clue, and experience is what their missing. Our defense is young, but boy I hope they have short memory, cause I don't want them to remember anything that R.Smith taught them.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #13
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
what is this defense missing? some of those ^

and a skilled 2ndary...i am extremely pissed with our def
Old 08-22-2008   #14
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

A pass rush (other than Williams of course)

and Dunta.
Old 08-22-2008   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
what is this defense missing? some of those ^

and a skilled 2ndary...i am extremely pissed with our def
With as long as Romo had to throw tonight, I don't think a tandem of Deion and Champ Bailey would have helped much.

I'm probably exaggerating, but damn, I'm frustrated with this complete lack of a pass rush EVERY SINGLE F^%$&* YEAR!
Old 08-22-2008   #16
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The D-line was getting zero pressure, the D-backs were leaving Terrell-freakin-Owens wide open in the middle of the field, running into each other, etc etc, and the linebackers just seemed slow. Marion Barber got 5+ yards every carry without even trying until finally one of the safeties or dbacks got him. And the tackling was unbelievable. Who saw Bennet get punked by the wide reciever on a run after the catch. And I literally saw one of our DBs miss a tackle on a guy who just got up off the turf.

Sad.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

thing is if it is "vanilla" versus "vanilla" we should be winning the battles up front, if not this game but the other games we have played

if I am not mistaken, schemes help you hide the weaknesses
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
The D-line was getting zero pressure, the D-backs were leaving Terrell-freakin-Owens wide open in the middle of the field, running into each other, etc etc, and the linebackers just seemed slow. Marion Barber got 5+ yards every carry without even trying until finally one of the safeties or dbacks got him. And the tackling was unbelievable. Who saw Bennet get punked by the wide reciever on a run after the catch. And I literally saw one of our DBs miss a tackle on a guy who just got up off the turf.

Sad.
Yeah, exactly. Other than that, they played well.

Old 08-22-2008   #19
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Two words

Rey Maualuga
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Cowboys front seven was supposed to be very active and strong?
They brought more to the LOS than us and they didn't get squat done!

Let's keep the expectation down, folks!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read