Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-24-2008   #161
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oh man! Okam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Ya need to make up your mind about who was more disappointing (to you) and why.

I simply do not have a clear idea of what you were trying to say.
Can you try me again, please, thank you!
What are you talking about? Carr Bombed and I were discussing Wright and Okam. He never bashed either one, or said one was better than the other. I was the one that said I thought Wright had a better Senior season, and I still do. However, Carr Bombed posted their stats and it was interesting to see how close they were in stat production, which sort of made MY ARGUMENT look a little bit misinformed. You misinterpreted what he was saying.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #162
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Actually Rodrique Wright...while not as disappointing as Okam, didn't quite live up to the billing either. he was a first round lock, (just like Okam after his freshman and sophmore seasons) then after a disapointing junior and senior season (like Okam) Wright fell all the way to the 7th round in the NFL draft.

He has since come into the league and beat out everybody in front of him and is now a major piece on the Dolphins Dline and is a every down starter.
Yah, I think you kinda confuse me, when at first you said the above, which is saying "Okam was more disappointing than Wright".

But then you went on and showed the stats which says that "Okam had somewhat a better senior season than Wright".

I saw your point: Somehow, some way, Longhorns linemen seemed kinda underperformed, and got put down on draft day.

I don't follow UT football closely, so I don't know much about Wright and how they employ him in his senior season.

But I reviewed 5 of the games Okam played (the Rose bowl and 4 games in his senior year.) I don't think Okam underperformed at all.

What I'm proposing are as followed:

Falling draft status:
- Wright played with shoulder problems the last two years.
[At least three other franchises had "red flagged" Wright as a medical risk and the Carolina Panthers removed him from their draft board entirely.]
The Dolphins' MRI revealed that he had a torn rotator cuff that required surgery, for which he missed the entire rookie season.
- We all know that Okam showed up overweight at the combine and ran the slowest time of all the DT drafted ahead of him. Teams may worry that he has a weight problem??

Their play:
- Wright's number dropped the last two years because of his injury.
Also, he might have seen more double teams.
- Okam's number wasn't impressive because Wright was gone so he saw more double teams. Also in his Jr year, he missed one game and did not play on D in another game. (His production per game play was fine.)

Therefore, I don't think I can agree that they didn't reach their potential during their college career. I don't think they underperformed.

If we look at how the votes went down (mainly the coaches and AP), their accolades pretty much went up every year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #163
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Okam is a puzzling situation as noted in all the posts. My focus and hope when starting this thread is he has stated he is going to play football and a legal profession is for future. He has dropped significant weight and caught the management's attention in OTAs. He is a tremendous physical physique. He may push TJ or start and bottom line can be a solid back up while he learns. I want to watch how Richard Smith's coaches work with Okam. It is possible as somone said that he thought he was going to be a high draft pick and/or considered becoming attorney. Regardless, today Friday July 24th, he gets to show us the money as in his true skill set. I think all Texans fans will be pleased this season.
Old 07-24-2008   #164
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Therefore, I don't think I can agree that they didn't reach their potential during their college career. I don't think they underperformed.

If we look at how the votes went down (mainly the coaches and AP), their accolades pretty much went up every year.
If they reached their potential and performed up to their true ability they wouldn've gone in the 5th and 7th rounds. Almost every single player that gets drafted gets accolades from coaches and the AP, every player in the draft is talented and was one of the best players on their teams.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #165
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If they reached their potential and performed up to their true ability they wouldn've gone in the 5th and 7th rounds. Almost every single player that gets drafted gets accolades from coaches and the AP, every player in the draft is talented and was one of the best players on their teams.
How did a guy like Wright not performing well when he was named AP - All America First Team?

Perhaps your standard is way way up there, and you were expecting him to be All-World or sumthing like that!

Guys' stock slipped every year for numerous reasons, from medical to character, etc.

A guy like Okam, when he played at 320 lbs, my personal opinion was that I'd rather have him slim down a bit, I think he would be more efficient around 310 lbs. (He was very close to making some great plays.)

But no, he had to show up at the combine weighing 347 lbs.
How does that supposed to help his speed and his agility?

Two guys who were picked Big 12 First Team didn't even get drafted.
McClinton was even slower than Okam at the combine (5.47 while weighing 293 lbs)
Williams signed with the Ravens as an UDFA.

Pre-Combine, Okam was rated as the 8th best DT in the draft (which meant mid to late fourth in this draft).

Post-Combine, his stock dropped to the 5th round in several draft boards like SI, Draft Scout, Draftcountdown
Scout.com still had him mid to late fourth
And Rival.com had him 4th or 5th

So he did drop, but it wasn't as dramatic a fall as one might think.
Old 07-25-2008   #166
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How did a guy like Wright not performing well when he was named AP - All America First Team?
Stuff like that happens all the time. Just because you get accolades in college (which again, just about every player in the draft gets them, so scouts really don't give a crap about those) it doesn't mean you truly played up to your max ability. For whatever reasons pro scouts felt he underachieved and took plays off.

Again, if scouts felt he played hard and maxed out his potential he wouldn't have fell to the 7th round, honestly I really don't get what's so hard to figure out here.

Quote:
So he did drop, but it wasn't as dramatic a fall as one might think.
At one time during Okam's college career he was projected to be a top 10 to 15 draft pick, he was regarded that highly, so to have his stock slip all the way to the 5th round during his junior and senior seasons, that's a pretty big fall. Showing up to the combine 25 pounds overweight didn't really help his case, it made everybody think he's just a lazy player.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 07-25-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2008   #167
76Texan
Hall of Fame

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2437750

Sorry, I thought I've already posted that link.
Old 07-25-2008   #168
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2437750

Sorry, I thought I've already posted that link.
Yes that would be a major reason why he fell too, I forgot all about his shoulder surgery.

- Edmund Burke
Old 07-25-2008   #169
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes that would be a major reason why he fell too, I forgot all about his shoulder surgery.
I didn't know it either.
Like I told you, I am not a Longhorn fan.
I do watch some Big 12 football, but not a whole lot! (But quite a few for a casual fan. Unless there's a good game going on at the time.)
I only get some game tapes to see how Okam was doing!

I'd like to close my part of the conversation.
I think we both see each other view point.

I need to go review some more VTech games for a discussion with YoungTexanFan!
Old 08-05-2008   #170
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Is Okam still lookin' like a beast?
Old 08-22-2008   #171
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

How's Okam been looking so far?
Old 08-22-2008   #172
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'er View Post
How's Okam been looking so far?
He made a few good plays.
Steady progress!
Look to be more in shape.
Old 08-22-2008   #173
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He made a few good plays.
Steady progress!
Look to be more in shape.
I watched the saints game and i flat out didn't even see him

I don't mean that in a bad way, I just didn't notice him

Last edited by Wolf; 08-22-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #174
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

I watched him during the Broncos game I was sitting in the end zone the broncos were trying to score in. He came in a few plays and looked disruptive. I think he will turn out to be another solid late round pick up by kube/smith
Old 08-22-2008   #175
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he looked 'bad' in the Saints game. Just didn't stand out ......... as we've seen with other rookie DL's.

maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #176
76Texan
Hall of Fame

In the Broncos game he got 2 tackles (I have to go back and check but I think one of them is for loss of yardage.)

In the Saints game, he did not have anything showing up in the stat column, but he did well.

He played in at least two series in the second half, both resulting in a punt!

1. About 7:35 in the third
3-8 QB stepped up in the pocket, thinking about scrambling for the first down.
Saw Okam disengaged from blocker. Stopped and tried to lob a pass to the TE Billy Miller. He knew Okam was in the passing lane, so he lobbed the pass behind the TE (Okam jumped up to disrupt the timing.) Punt

2. About 11:53 in the 4th
Got double team on 1-10 but was able to push forward about 2 yds.
Saints run away on him next play (another 1-10)
2-6 Inc. pass
3-6 Got double team again.
And this is funny. He affected the play even while on his butt.
Brunnel was scrambling in the pocket, wanted to go outside, but saw Okam moving to that side so he changed direction and go up the middle.
#93 Bulman who went around the right edge, came back up and made the tackle. Punt.

I'm not sure whether he played the last series or not. But the two guys at DT did their job well. Forcing the Saints to turn the ball over on 4 downs.
Old 08-22-2008   #177
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

He hasn't looked like anything but a backup right now. I imagine that he is going to make the squad (Not practice squad) and probably get to play in a few games this year.

Travis Johnson

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read