Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2008   #61
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pound your chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I guess this means you're not grinning from ear to ear any more about our running game.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=30
Yeah I think that's safe to say.

If I were running for President I'd be getting called a flip-flopper right about now. I might still be but that's fine. Things change and I'm reminded time and time again that none of us know as much as we think we do (and I'm certainly no exception to that).

Turns out we're really deep at ordinary. Preseason can really bring the reality home sometimes.
Old 08-19-2008   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, we currently rank 10th in rushing yardage, 1st in 3rd down conversion (59%), 14th in First down by rushing, 5th in TOP, 7th in TD scored, 4th in rushing TD scored.

So why the gloom and doom about the running game???
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #63
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Hey, we currently rank 10th in rushing yardage, 1st in 3rd down conversion (59%), 14th in First down by rushing, 5th in TOP, 7th in TD scored, 4th in rushing TD scored.

So why the gloom and doom about the running game???
Because we've SEEN what it looks like and believe me, stats are not telling the whole story here.
Old 08-19-2008   #64
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, if we take out the runs at the end of the half (Broncos) and the end of the game (Saints) to run out the time, plus the runs toward the end the Broncos game to both kill time and kick the FG, our rushing average would be 3.92 ypc, which is not shabby at all.

And that is without Green, while Chris Brown is still getting back to playing shape.
Old 08-19-2008   #65
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Because we've SEEN what it looks like and believe me, stats are not telling the whole story here.
There were times when they load the box and we still ran.

I also knows that at times a lineman would miss his assignment here and there. The O-line is still not in sync consistently.

And the hand-off to JJ also help bring down the average (since the number of total rushing attempts is still low).

As I mentioned before I don't expect the combination of Green and Brown to play more than a total of 12 games for us this year, so I ain't worry!
Old 08-19-2008   #66
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Back on topic...

I was right for staying with my boy Mario after his rookie season. I wore my #90 jersey to several games and when someone spouted off, I always told them to come back and talk to me in a couple of seasons. I got in several arguments with a poster on here. I forget who it was, but they never came back to eat their crow.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #67
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah I think that's safe to say.

If I were running for President I'd be getting called a flip-flopper right about now. I might still be but that's fine. Things change and I'm reminded time and time again that none of us know as much as we think we do (and I'm certainly no exception to that).

Turns out we're really deep at ordinary. Preseason can really bring the reality home sometimes.
This is the product of being a lifetime Houston fan. I'm not cursed with such a history. I grew up a Cowboy fan, a Rockets fan, and an Atlanta Braves fan.

Therefore, I have some sense of optimism that just because things have been bad doesn't mean they'll always be bad. And, I can actually believe in the possibility of some good fortune and things turning out better than expected. I've learned that that muscle is severely atrophied in Houston lifers...

Yee of little faith, turn that frown upside down.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #68
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Trying, trying....ah, I can't do it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008   #69
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr being awful in April 2002
Gary Kubiak would be the next coach
Drafting Mario at #1
Drafting Winston at #2, gotta bargain

And for the future I will say that this team breaks the Texans Rushing record of 1,882 in 2004. A pre-emptive pound if you will.
Old 08-20-2008   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
This is the product of being a lifetime Houston fan. I'm not cursed with such a history. I grew up a Cowboy fan, a Rockets fan, and an Atlanta Braves fan.

Therefore, I have some sense of optimism that just because things have been bad doesn't mean they'll always be bad. And, I can actually believe in the possibility of some good fortune and things turning out better than expected. I've learned that that muscle is severely atrophied in Houston lifers...

Playing second fiddle to the Steelers in the mid-late 70s actually wasn't that hard. Hell, they only won 3 SBs in those 5 years.
If not for all the roid things that were going on in Steel Town, the Oilers would have advanced further in the play-offs.
We lost in the play-offs to the eventual SB winner 3 consecutive years, there's no shame in that.

The shame started when Bud Adams took out our legendary coach Bum Phillips in 1981.

Then he took the team out of town when we got another good coach in Fisher.

He's among the very very very small percentage of the earth populace that I would pin the term "heavily dislike" on. And I always try very hard not to even call anybody an *****!

Rant done!

But actually, I never cared for his antics.
We just kicked him out of town, bide our time, and we will rise again in football.

We have our basketball and soccer champs.
We've been very competitive in baseball for a non-hype market.
We send plenty Houstonians to the Olympics, to the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA etc.

We IS proud!
Old 08-20-2008   #71
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

No, it's really not. I'm very optimistic about any number of things about the Texans this season (just like I am every year) I'm excited about our QB play and I'm very optimistic about our DL this year. I think we're going to be better than 8-8 this year and I expect our OL to play very well. I just don't feel very good about our situation at RB right now. Going into the preseason I was hoping we would get one season out of Green and that we would be hunting a true feature RB (if Slaton didn't seize the job) in next years draft. Chris Brown I had (and still to some degree have) very high hopes for. I think he'll look pretty good in our offense if he can stay healthy.

Grew up a Cowboys fan eh? I'll be watching you.
Old 08-20-2008   #72
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Grew up a Cowboys fan eh? I'll be watching you.

Yeah but what a wonderful story of redemption. Born again in 1995! But I wandered in the fantasy football wilderness for 6 years before finding the Texans in 2001.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read