Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2008   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sunday 3:30 Kubes Press Conference

Great post, but one edit:

Quote:
On the roster spots for WRs: "We're looking at 5 WR, but Harry Williams making case to keep 6. If we go 6 he's fine, if we go 5 SOMEONE is in trouble (slight chuckle)."
Unfortunately, I missed a section in there because of wifely interference as well.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

My takes:

1. Kubiak is frustrated about JJ, but seems to want him to do well.

2. Chris Taylor has to be a ST producer to make the team, and THEN we'd see him in a FB roster spot.

3. David Anderson is on the team, likely a slot player (cha-ching!).

4. Harry Williams will be on the team, either as a 6th WR or in the 5th WR spot if "someone" doesn't make it. Hmmm....

5. Chaun Thompson is in good graces with Kubiak, but needs to be healthy

6. They are being very very cautious with AJ. Sounds like there is no contact with AJ right now. Anybody at the practices and can verify?

7. Lots of awkward chuckling and hem-hawing by Kubiak when asked about JJ. This is killing him. And McClain is picking up on it, asking about it. Makes for some good drama.

8. Slaton is the starting back thus far.
Old 08-17-2008   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Great post, but one edit:

Unfortunately, I missed a section in there because of wifely interference as well.
Good catch! Yes, it's supposed to be "if we go 5 WR then someone is in trouble..."

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008   #24
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Kubiak emphasizing the youth of our squad. I remember at the beginning of last year we were said to be the youngest team in the league. I wonder if this is still the case. I know KC has a lot of youth after their last draft haul, but I wonder if we are still statistically so young compared to the rest of the league.

I am pointing this out as a positive of course fwiw.

one thing I like is that we have stability at QB. having two quality NFL QBs is a luxury that most teams dont have and it can save a season. it practically did last year (though we still didn't have a winning year)
Old 08-17-2008   #25
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
6. They are being very very cautious with AJ. Sounds like there is no contact with AJ right now. Anybody at the practices and can verify?
I don't mind them being cautious with AJ but considering the Texans recent history about not coming out fully about a players injury it makes me kind of worried.

Didn't Kubiak say that AJ could probably have played last week?

I think they're just letting him rest up for the regular season since they already know what they have with him.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

He was eerily silent about Tim Carter, except for the reference to Tim being dinged up from last week...and looking forward to seeing him on the field tomorrow.

I wonder if both Harry Williams AND Tim Carter might be ahead of JJ at this point?

1. AJ
2. KW
3. Andre Davis
4. David Anderson
5. Harry Williams
6. Tim Carter or Jacoby Jones

Kubiak said he MIGHT go with 6 WR...but if he only goes with 5, then someone is in trouble. This, IMO, easily implies that JJ is in trouble of missing out on a 5 WR roster.

But then where does that put Tim Carter?
Old 08-17-2008   #27
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I know he's seen and been around alot of football in his time, but I think the game has passed McClain by. He doesn't seem to ask good questions that, if any of us were in his shoes, we would probably ask.

Just my .02, but that's what I hear from him when he speaks anymore. It may be time to take John to that ol' sports journalist pasture and let him graze away his last years.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #28
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I know he's seen and been around alot of football in his time, but I think the game has passed McClain by. He doesn't seem to ask good questions that, if any of us were in his shoes, we would probably ask.
Just my .02, but that's what I hear from him when he speaks anymore. It may be time to take John to that ol' sports journalist pasture and let him graze away his last years.
I wonder if he has become such close "friends" to the organization, that he can no longer find it in himself to pose the hard questions and criticisms, and force accountability to his "friend" interviewees.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #29
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

We need better sports journalists in Houston. I'm in Dallas, and they are pretty hard on the Cowboys and other teams.

Glad to see Steve Slaton going in with the first team though. He has definitely earned it, and he may be our starting RB going into the season. Chris Brown has been just barely average I think, and Ahman is (surprise) injured.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read