Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-14-2008   #21
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will our tough opening schedule improve the team?

$5? Thats all you could muster? For a sure thing bet like that?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #22
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
$5? Thats all you could muster? For a sure thing bet like that?

OK, ten then. I'm saving for retirement, ya know. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #23
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to take a contrary position and say I like the opening schedule this year. I'm not worried about the ZBS not being up to speed early on. We are going to have a killer passing offense this season and it will carry us until we can become more balanced. Even though we have question marks on defense, we are going to be improved - in the line, the LB's and in the backfield. Going 3-2 will set up the rest of the season.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #24
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i'll be pretty happy with 3-2. I'm figuring Pittsburgh, Baltimore and one from our division, I'm going to go with a win over the Colts actually and losses to the jax and tax. just a hunch. but i'm seeing 3-2 as well.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Will it help our team.....

First and foremost, we have to play well. If our leaders do what they need to do, lead on the field, and play well, I think the first five games will help our team for the rest of the year.

Win or Lose. If everyone stays healthy, Schaub performs well, distributes the ball, keep our offense on the field... AJ make big plays, challenge the secondary, Owen Daniels holds on to the ball, and keep teams honest, make them play the middle of the field, back them off the LOS, warrant some attention from the safeties.

If Mario gets off early, he can't start slow like last year, don't worry about sacks, but he's got to creat havoc, Amobi, TJ, OKam need to create pressure in the middle, and Demeco needs to keep doing what he do, make plays.

Schaub, AJ, MArio, TJ, & Dunta, can't let this team get down. They need to play their best, against the best, then we can dominate in the remaining 11 games.
Old 08-14-2008   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

if if if......

One second later our (or theirs) best player is out for the season.

There is a reason we look at those secondary players as does everyone else

Depth is where it is at, and while we are good at that at a few positions, we are not there at all the positions.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #27
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Will it help our team.....

First and foremost, we have to play well. If our leaders do what they need to do, lead on the field, and play well, I think the first five games will help our team for the rest of the year.

Win or Lose. If everyone stays healthy, Schaub performs well, distributes the ball, keep our offense on the field... AJ make big plays, challenge the secondary, Owen Daniels holds on to the ball, and keep teams honest, make them play the middle of the field, back them off the LOS, warrant some attention from the safeties.

If Mario gets off early, he can't start slow like last year, don't worry about sacks, but he's got to creat havoc, Amobi, TJ, OKam need to create pressure in the middle, and Demeco needs to keep doing what he do, make plays.

Schaub, AJ, MArio, TJ, & Dunta, can't let this team get down. They need to play their best, against the best, then we can dominate in the remaining 11 games.
TK, I agree with most of your post, but I believe Mario started the 1st game very well with 2 sacks, a fumble recovery run back 38 yds for a TD, 4 tackles and 1 assist. If that's a slow start, I hope he has that every game! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #28
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anybody else see the Pittsburgh O-line 1st unit get manhandled by Buffalo tonight? I really thought that first game would be near impossible to win but if their O-line has yet to gel Mario and Okoye could have a field day with them.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #29
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly This comes to mind

and changing it for content of Texans (top gun quote)
Quote:
Manning: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees.
Richard Smith: Holy shit, it's Viper!
Demeco: Manning's up here, great... oh shit...
Mario: Great, he's probably saying, "Holy shit, it's Mario and Demeco."
Demeco: Yeah, I'm sure he's saying that.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092099/quotes

I might have the names wrong but Maverick and Goose are like Demeco and Mario

some might have a better quote

I don't worry about the schedule, We will be what we will be. We have to take care of business and I don't think we will go undefeated but I think we are competitive enough to wreck havok ... confidence goes along way
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #30
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsorc View Post
Did anybody else see the Pittsburgh O-line 1st unit get manhandled by Buffalo tonight? I really thought that first game would be near impossible to win but if their O-line has yet to gel Mario and Okoye could have a field day with them.
don't sell Buffalo short.
Like us, they've been making some pretty decent steps to get better.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #31
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no doubt that the tough early schedule will mean that our team improves signifacantly.

The question is will our record be good enough for us to still make the playoffs after those five games....

I certainly hope so.
Old 08-15-2008   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
TK, I agree with most of your post, but I believe Mario started the 1st game very well with 2 sacks, a fumble recovery run back 38 yds for a TD, 4 tackles and 1 assist. If that's a slow start, I hope he has that every game! JMHO!
You're right, I was thinking of his first year.

That's my story anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsorc View Post
They were doing a lot of blitzes.... from what I saw, there problem was mostly on the interior line.

It would be nice, if we blitzed more..... but I haven't seen anything from our coaching staff to make me think they are the gambling kind.

But hopefully Amobi & TJ can exploit that line, and the net results would be the same.
Old 08-15-2008   #33
Lucky

Rep Power: 161176 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
They say that competition brings out the best in people. Our opening 5 games are arguably the toughest stretch any team in the NFL has to face to open their season. Road trips to Pittsburgh, Tennessee, and Jacksonville with home games against Baltimore and Indianapolis thrown in as well.
Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Pittsburgh were tops in the league in rushing attempts in '07. Considering the QB situation in Baltimore and Manning returning from injury in Indy, it's possible that the Ravens and Colts will look to lean more on the running game than in the past.

The Texans will also be facing some pretty fierce pass rushers early in the season. In order to slow down the rush, it is very important for the running game to be productive. Really, it boils down to the Texans winning the battle up front against some tough, physical teams. If they can, that bodes well for the rest of the season.

The skill players get all the glory in this league, but winning still comes down to the trenches. That's where the Texans, under Kubiak & Smith, have put their $$$ & resources. It's time to see that investment pay off.
Old 08-15-2008   #34
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Pittsburgh were tops in the league in rushing attempts in '07. Considering the QB situation in Baltimore and Manning returning from injury in Indy, it's possible that the Ravens and Colts will look to lean more on the running game than in the past.

The Texans will also be facing some pretty fierce pass rushers early in the season. In order to slow down the rush, it is very important for the running game to be productive. Really, it boils down to the Texans winning the battle up front against some tough, physical teams. If they can, that bodes well for the rest of the season.

The skill players get all the glory in this league, but winning still comes down to the trenches. That's where the Texans, under Kubiak & Smith, have put their $$$ & resources. It's time to see that investment pay off.
I like our chances in game one. I watched the Steelers last night in their second pre season game against the Bills. Their O line looked pretty bad on run plays. They weren't opening up any holes. Big Ben looked really solid though on pass plays by moving around in the pocket. The Steelers O line will struggle this season, and I'd rather play them early on in the season rather than later in the season. I think that we will win the first game of the season.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #35
Lucky

Rep Power: 161176 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I like our chances in game one. I watched the Steelers last night in their second pre season game against the Bills. Their O line looked pretty bad on run plays. They weren't opening up any holes.
I didn't see the game, but I suspect that the addition of Marcus Stroud will really help the Bills up front. Despite the arrival of the Great One in New York, I think the Bills are still the 2nd best team in the AFC East and very much in the mix for a wild card spot.
Old 08-15-2008   #36
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I'm a homer, but I see us going 4 - 1, or even maybe 5 - 0. Maybe a loss to the Titans.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #37
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't see the game, but I suspect that the addition of Marcus Stroud will really help the Bills up front. Despite the arrival of the Great One in New York, I think the Bills are still the 2nd best team in the AFC East and very much in the mix for a wild card spot.

Yeah Stroud was a really good signing. I had wanted the Texans to go after Stroud at the time.

Edwards looked pretty good last night and so did Lynch. The Bills just might be better than I thought. Lee Evans should be a lot more consistent this year as well.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Pen 1 View Post
I guess I'm a homer, but I see us going 4 - 1, or even maybe 5 - 0. Maybe a loss to the Titans.
Sweet.....

I'd be with you, but I think I'm going to try to be negative all year, regardless what happens.

My old uber-optimism hasn't gotten the results I was hoping for, so I'm going 180, and seeing how that works out.
Old 08-15-2008   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
They also have the second easiest schedule against the run, and the 5th easiest against the pass, according to FantasyGuru.com

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read