Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008   #61
Lucky
Moderator
 
Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13,070
Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dead Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
If Weaver gets beat out I have no doubt he will be gone before his contract is up. Which has this year and one more on it.
I wish you were right. Weaver is actually signed through 2010.
__________________
“We’re looking for a coach that...works with great energy and enthusiasm and very positive in his approach.” - Bob McNair
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #62
aj.
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,769
Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dead Weight

Weaver still has a nasty dead money hit so it's not as simple as 'just cut him now.'
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #63
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dead Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
What constant? This is the very first guy Kubiak has brought in that is a pass rushing specialist.
Do you remember all those guys we had ? Charlie Anderson ? Shante Orr ? Jason Babin ? N.D Kalu ?

We kept guys like that on the roster because Weaver sucked as an all around DE...They wanted to justify it by trying to play him at DT...He couldn't handle it...His body couln't take it.....

So now, we just settle for taking him out on "passing downs"....He's not even a good pass rusher from the DT position...IMO...

Virtually that means that if a team decides to pass on 1st or 2nd down we're almost guaranteed Weaver won't do a thing as far as pressuring the passer...He's not a complete DE *For this Scheme*

It was a good signing in theory. It was a good signing before we picked Mario...We've made signings that haven't worked out before...This looks like one of them...No biggie...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #64
Specnatz
Site Contributor
 
Specnatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,620
Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dead Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Do you remember all those guys we had ? Charlie Anderson ? Shante Orr ? Jason Babin ? N.D Kalu ?

We kept guys like that on the roster because Weaver sucked as an all around DE...They wanted to justify it by trying to play him at DT...He couldn't handle it...His body couln't take it.....

So now, we just settle for taking him out on "passing downs"....He's not even a good pass rusher from the DT position...IMO...

Virtually that means that if a team decides to pass on 1st or 2nd down we're almost guaranteed Weaver won't do a thing as far as pressuring the passer...He's not a complete DE *For this Scheme*

It was a good signing in theory. It was a good signing before we picked Mario...We've made signings that haven't worked out before...This looks like one of them...No biggie...
Actually Babin, Orr and Anderson were all drafted in the same year and were here prior to Weaver signing. They were part of the C&C crappy drafting factory and trying to fit round pegs in to square holes. As far as keeping Kalu around, is it your contention that having any veterans on the team that are past their prime to start is a bad thing? Mario Williams has given a lot of credit to Kalu for helping him his rookie year and all the trials and tribulations he has gone through.

If you want to change the discussion about whether or not Weaver has lived up to his contract that would be another thing. As a run stopper Weaver does his job, if he is healthy this year I hope he can at do some sort of pass rush. But having someone of Colvin's ability is a bad thing how?
__________________
The Invisible Poster!
Cynic at work, do not mind me; move along nothing to see here!
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #65
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Age: 58
Posts: 6,644
Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dead Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually Babin, Orr and Anderson were all drafted in the same year and were here prior to Weaver signing. They were part of the C&C crappy drafting factory and trying to fit round pegs in to square holes. As far as keeping Kalu around, is it your contention that having any veterans on the team that are past their prime to start is a bad thing? Mario Williams has given a lot of credit to Kalu for helping him his rookie year and all the trials and tribulations he has gone through.

If you want to change the discussion about whether or not Weaver has lived up to his contract that would be another thing. As a run stopper Weaver does his job, if he is healthy this year I hope he can at do some sort of pass rush. But having someone of Colvin's ability is a bad thing how?
Further, Babin, Orr and Charlie Anderson were all 3-4 prospects at LB. I'm not looking up their combined # of sacks with the team...but even you, polo should see the point. Did they make twenty in three years ? Weaver is not a good pass rusher...we got it. But on the other hand he's healthy and he plays the run well....he can be complimented on third down with a pass rush guy. Got Kubes complimenting Big Earl on the other thread....I don't believe that Kubiak throws away what Weaver brings to the table for a season of snaps. We'll see.
__________________
"Everybody understands that the only way we're going to do it is by extremely hard work."
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #66
Specnatz
Site Contributor
 
Specnatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,620
Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dead Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Further, Babin, Orr and Charlie Anderson were all 3-4 prospects at LB. I'm not looking up their combined # of sacks with the team...but even you, polo should see the point. Did they make twenty in three years ? Weaver is not a good pass rusher...we got it. But on the other hand he's healthy and he plays the run well....he can be complimented on third down with a pass rush guy. Got Kubes complimenting Big Earl on the other thread....I don't believe that Kubiak throws away what Weaver brings to the table for a season of snaps. We'll see.
That is what I was saying.
__________________
The Invisible Poster!
Cynic at work, do not mind me; move along nothing to see here!
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger