Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2008   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Forget the Colts.......

I know coaches like to focus on winning the division. I'm optomistic enough to believe we can do that, but for this thread, I want to get everyone's view on the rest of our conference. Who will we have to beat, to earn one of the two wild card spots??

AFC North: The Steelers will probably win it.....

If not, then the Browns, whoever wins, the second best team will probably have 10 wins.

It's also possible that the Bengals could end up with 10 wins.

I'm not worried about the Ravens.

This division is just as likely to send three teams to the play-offs, as the AFC South is.

AFC West:
San Diego.... 'nuff said, we'll most likely have a better record than Oakland, Kansas City, & Denver.

AFC East:

New England.... Jets, Bills, Dolphins..... I think the Jets & the Bills are as talented as we are. I need to do a comparison, of strength of schedule to get an idea of how the might do, compared to us.

AFC South:
Indy/Jacksonville..... I'm not too high on the Titans, I haven't been for the last two years, and they've managed to finish better than us, regardless. I honestly believe we are more talented than the Titans.

I honestly think we're on Par with the Colts, talent wise. We haven't proven it yet, but I'm thinking this will be our year.

But in the event that the Colts win the division, we've got to win any tie breakers between us & the Jags... so, our Wildcard teams to watch, IMHO are

Browns
Bengals
Jets
Bills
Jacksonville

What do you think??
Old 08-09-2008   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Forget the Colts.......

Every year people think they know how good teams are or will be, and every year they turn out to be wrong.

If you bring this thread back in 8 months I bet you more of your assumptions will be erroneous than correct.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

You're probably going to want to throw Denver in the mix as well just because I think Cutler and Marshall will both improve quite a bit (Marshall is suspended for 3 games though).
Old 08-09-2008   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Heh, I just posted this in another thread.

Our playoff hopes just took s small hit, for sure. The AFC North is not putting out a wild card team this year, I predict. That division has to play the AFC South and the NFC East this year - the two toughest divisions in football. The Steelers have to play the Patriots and Chargers for their strength-of-schedule games. The Browns play the Broncos and Bills - two other wild card contenders.

So with the AFC North out of the equation, who's left? Well, the Jags have to be early favorites to take one of those spots, for sure. So one spot left, and maybe five teams left. The Texans, Bills Broncos, Jets, and as long as Fisher is the coach, the Tacks. I wouldn't have put the Jets very highly on that list before the Favre deal.

Still, I think we can pull it off, but we have to split with the division.
Old 08-09-2008   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Heh, I just posted this in another thread.

Our playoff hopes just took s small hit, for sure. The AFC North is not putting out a wild card team this year, I predict. That division has to play the AFC South and the NFC East this year - the two toughest divisions in football. The Steelers have to play the Patriots and Chargers for their strength-of-schedule games. The Browns play the Broncos and Bills - two other wild card contenders.

So with the AFC North out of the equation, who's left? Well, the Jags have to be early favorites to take one of those spots, for sure. So one spot left, and maybe five teams left. The Texans, Bills Broncos, Jets, and as long as Fisher is the coach, the Tacks. I wouldn't have put the Jets very highly on that list before the Favre deal.

Still, I think we can pull it off, but we have to split with the division.
The complexion of the picture may change dramatically if Peyton Manning doesn't make an uneventful recovery.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #6
Polo

If we are as talented as the Colts, and the Jets and Bills are as talented as we are...this should make for an exciting season...
Old 08-09-2008   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I know coaches like to focus on winning the division. I'm optomistic enough to believe we can do that, but for this thread, I want to get everyone's view on the rest of our conference. Who will we have to beat, to earn one of the two wild card spots??

AFC North: The Steelers will probably win it.....

If not, then the Browns, whoever wins, the second best team will probably have 10 wins.

It's also possible that the Bengals could end up with 10 wins.

I'm not worried about the Ravens.

This division is just as likely to send three teams to the play-offs, as the AFC South is.

AFC West:
San Diego.... 'nuff said, we'll most likely have a better record than Oakland, Kansas City, & Denver.

AFC East:

New England.... Jets, Bills, Dolphins..... I think the Jets & the Bills are as talented as we are. I need to do a comparison, of strength of schedule to get an idea of how the might do, compared to us.

AFC South:
Indy/Jacksonville..... I'm not too high on the Titans, I haven't been for the last two years, and they've managed to finish better than us, regardless. I honestly believe we are more talented than the Titans.

I honestly think we're on Par with the Colts, talent wise. We haven't proven it yet, but I'm thinking this will be our year.

But in the event that the Colts win the division, we've got to win any tie breakers between us & the Jags... so, our Wildcard teams to watch, IMHO are

Browns
Bengals
Jets
Bills
Jacksonville

What do you think??
I think the Bengals will implode and take themselves right out of that mix. I don't expect much out of the Bills, but them or Denver have chance IMO. And I hope the tinbreads take a step back.. So mine would look like this:

TEXANS
Browns
Jax
Jets
Denver
Bills
Old 08-09-2008   #8
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

WARNING: I'm actually making a thoughtful post.

At this point, here's what I see (neutral schedule):

Jags would go 12-4
Texans 11-5
Browns 10-6
Jets 9-7
Titans 9-7
Bills 8-8
Broncos 8-8

Now, we throw in the schedule...
Jags, Texans, Titans, Colts... yeesh. If these were the three-wildcard days of old, there would prolly be four AFC South teams in it. I'm going to say that the Jags sweep the Titans, and everybody else splits.

The Browns have a schedule from HELL...later Oranges.

Then, we have the Jets and Bills. The Jets have Favreau's redneck brother, and the Bills... I don't remember what they have. The Pats will prolly sweep them both and they'll split each other: 3-3 at best. But, then they play the NFC West... uh-oh...

And last but not least, the Denver Texacos. They play the Raiders and the Chiefs four times a year. Can I play over there? That's an almost guaranteed 3-1 division right there. And they play the NFC South... oh sure, give THEM the easy teams.

So... with the schedule included, this is the way I see things shaping up:

Jags 11-5/4-2
Texans 10-6/3-3
Jets 10-6/3-3
---------------------
Broncos 9-7/4-2
Bills 9-7/3-3
Browns 8-8/3-3
Titans 8-8/2-4

Now we have a tiebreaker between the Jets and Texans. Then we have to go to games inside the conference. Both teams have a 3-3 division, so let's look at the other 6 games:

Jets:
Chargers - nope
Broncos - coin toss
Raiders - yep
Chiefs - yep
Bengals - yep
Titans - coin toss

Texans:
Steelers - nope
Browns - coin toss
Ravens - yep
Bengals - yep
Dolphins - yep
Raiders - yep

So, the three games that should decide the 6th AFC seed are Jets/Chargers, Jets/Titans, and Texans/Browns.

Now, I will assume at this point that they stay tied, just because I'm bored.

Next up is common games, which we have four: Miami (home), Oakland, Tennessee (away), and Cincy. Yeesh, I assume that they will both be 3-1 when all's said and done.

And since I don't feel like going past there because that'll require actual math, I'll shut up.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #9
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I say we just win 12 and go 4-2 in the division and we don't have to worry about tie-breakers and math
Old 08-09-2008   #10
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I say we just win 12 and go 4-2 in the division and we don't have to worry about tie-breakers and math
Or that...
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #11
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69008 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
Sounds like a plan.

Every season there is a team that comes out of nowhere and has a good year, I'm thinking this is the Texans year. The Balls really don't scare me that much, and its going to be interesting to see what the Jets will do with Favre at the helm. Then, there is a team that everyone expects to do great and they fall on their faces, I think maybe the Browns may be that team. Thats just my opinion .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Every year people think they know how good teams are or will be, and every year they turn out to be wrong.

If you bring this thread back in 8 months I bet you more of your assumptions will be erroneous than correct.
Understood, and expected.

I'm not trying to go swami on you or anything, just going through our conference in my mind, sharing my thoughts with my friends, and seeing what they are thinking.

Is there anything wrong with that??
Old 08-09-2008   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Understood, and expected.

I'm not trying to go swami on you or anything, just going through our conference in my mind, sharing my thoughts with my friends, and seeing what they are thinking.

Is there anything wrong with that??
I think it was a very good post and sparked a thoughtful topic that we should honestly be considering as fans at this point.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read