Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-07-2008   #41
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: MARIO on JIM ROME TODAY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEO View Post
Jim Rome's Apology to Mario 12/14/07

Jim Rome / 12-14-2007

Quick shout out to Houston Texans stud, Mario Williams. Speaking on behalf the entire universe, sorry we crushed and vilified you before you had even stepped on to your first NFL field. Sorry, we annihilated you as the NFL’s Sam Bowie before you had even had a chance to rush your first NFL QB…and we’re all guilty of it.

Who amongst us didn’t jump the Texans for taking Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young. I mean, has there even been more pressure on a draft pick. Even if he succeeded, he still failed. No matter what he did, it would never be enough. Considering he went first and who he was taken over, he had to be a once in a lifetime player. Playing great wasn’t enough, he had to take over games by himself…and that’s exactly what he’s doing now. Taking over games. He hounded Jay Cutler last night like he owed him money or stole something from him…sacked him three and half times…giving him 9 in the last 5 games alone.

The guy is playing like a stronger Dwight Freeney…a faster Patrick Kerney. He’s playing like the number one pick overall…and he’s playing much better than Bush and V-Y. Bush and Young relied on their natural ability last year and both have taken big steps backwards this year. Williams, on the other hand, stayed the course and caught up with his ability, and now he dominating…and best of all, despite all the heat he took, he never once lashed out, got bent or demanded an apology. Well, here’s the apology you never asked for Mario, but deserve. You’re a beast on the field, a class act off it. You’ve blown by Bush and Young. You’re living up to the hype and it looks the Texans knew exactly what they were doing. See you in Honolulu, Mario!
Linky no worky, Tommy want wingy!
Old 08-07-2008   #42
KEO
TEXANS BABY!!!!

Section: 122 C
Rep Power: 0 KEO is a quality contributor and well respectedKEO is a quality contributor and well respectedKEO is a quality contributor and well respectedKEO is a quality contributor and well respectedKEO is a quality contributor and well respectedKEO is a quality contributor and well respectedKEO is a quality contributor and well respectedKEO is a quality contributor and well respectedKEO is a quality contributor and well respectedKEO is a quality contributor and well respectedKEO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to KEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Linky no worky, Tommy want wingy!
Fixed!
KEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #43
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEO View Post
Fixed!
Thanks! I just wanted to rub it in on some folks I know......er ....share it.
Old 08-07-2008   #44
TerribleToro
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLoveTexans View Post
Rich, Matt and the Lunchtime Eaters are the only ones i cant stand to listen to on 610..
I can stand Rich and Matt only marginally more than Adam Wexler and Danny Vera.... Honestly the only ones I do like (sometimes) is the Marc and Andre, I can even stand the new guy Adam Clanton more than the afternoon/evening guys. I still listen to them just to get information even if I do want to punch them most of the time.

And people probably will hate me for saying this because he's been around so long, but John McClain is a cancer to local sports fans. I generally hate sports writers, it's like they are the ultimate fair weather fans and then get paid for it. I know he really does want the Texans to do well, but it's like he has an elitist attitude that he has to be a "real journalist" and basically s**ts all over the team, and he's been wrong many a time. Maybe if he worked for ESPN or a national publication he would need to do that, but sometimes we NEED cheer leading in this city.
TerribleToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #45
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 84240 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleToro View Post
And people probably will hate me for saying this because he's been around so long, but John McClain is a cancer to local sports fans.
That doesn't bother me one bit. I cant stand the guy.

As far as the interview, great stuff as usual from Mario. I'm glad we have him and hes not an a-hole like some would be after what he went through with the media.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #46
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

War "Gimme back my Son!!!"

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #47
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can stand Rich and Matt only marginally more than Adam Wexler and Danny Vera.... Honestly the only ones I do like (sometimes) is the Marc and Andre, I can even stand the new guy Adam Clanton more than the afternoon/evening guys. I still listen to them just to get information even if I do want to punch them most of the time.

And people probably will hate me for saying this because he's been around so long, but John McClain is a cancer to local sports fans. I generally hate sports writers, it's like they are the ultimate fair weather fans and then get paid for it. I know he really does want the Texans to do well, but it's like he has an elitist attitude that he has to be a "real journalist" and basically s**ts all over the team, and he's been wrong many a time. Maybe if he worked for ESPN or a national publication he would need to do that, but sometimes we NEED cheer leading in this city.
I can't agree with this sentiment.

If our local boys suck - and for a while they did - I'd rather our local guys say that rather than try and sugarcoat it or spin it or cheerlead for the local team.

Its an insult to our collective intelligence for a local guy who sees the team everyday (or is supposed*) to try and paint lipstick on a pig and swear to us that its a gorgeous woman. If you don't face up to what's wrong you'll never get it fixed. See the Astros - look under "Needs More Pitching". I don't know about you, but I hate being lied to.

* My beef with McClain is this "I'm a movie star kick". He needs to decide what his career path is: either cover the team or hang out in Hollywood. As it stands he's doing a half-azz job on both fronts.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #48
TerribleToro
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I can't agree with this sentiment.
I agree with you about the Hollywood thing, but don't you think it also applies to they way he's going about being a local sports writer? Doesn't he either need to be a positive influence on the fans or totally unbiased and not "our" guy in the locker room?

How about Marc Vandermeer then? Do you say he's lying to us? Because he doesn't seem to have the same style as McClain. I see him as a positive influence on the fans, he's optimistic yet doesn't mind pointing out problems we do have. But instead of saying "Oh they aren't going to do better than 5-11 this year" he'll just speak about the problems and what we need to do to fix them and what it will take for us to get to that next level instead of just ragging on them. Basically when we have had problem, McClain would talk his garbage, then pat himself on the back for being so smart to figure out that we haven't always been the best team! Why do we NEED THAT?! We might as well have Tony Kornheiser writing the articles and coming on our talk shows.

Last edited by TerribleToro; 08-07-2008 at 09:13 PM.
TerribleToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #49
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

For example, was it necessary for Richard Justice, Rich Lord, etc. to completely trash Mario and the entire Texans organization for picking Mario? It's one thing to be critical, but if you do, have some thought and reasoning. As a reporter, I think you should speak from the head, not from the heart.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #50
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with you about the Hollywood thing, but don't you think it also applies to they way he's going about being a local sports writer? Doesn't he either need to be a positive influence on the fans or totally unbiased and not "our" guy in the locker room?

How about Marc Vandermeer then? Do you say he's lying to us? Because he doesn't seem to have the same style as McClain. I see him as a positive influence on the fans, he's optimistic yet doesn't mind pointing out problems we do have. But instead of saying "Oh they aren't going to do better than 5-11 this year" he'll just speak about the problems and what we need to do to fix them and what it will take for us to get to that next level instead of just ragging on them. Basically when we have had problem, McClain would talk his garbage, then pat himself on the back for being so smart to figure out that we haven't always been the best team! Why do we NEED THAT?! We might as well have Tony Kornheiser writing the articles and coming on our talk shows.
Where the hell have you been what I want to know!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #51
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a strong dislike for John McClain, it's just that IMO he really isn't qualified enough to be a professional sports journalist for a major league city. He's a text book example of the Peter Principle who probably maxed-out back when he was working for the Waco daily publication.
But the thing that does really annoy me about him is that he gives his Mickey-Mouse Hollywood career, Baylor, the Titans, & the Cowboys all equal billing with coverage of the Texans. As the lead NFL writer for the Houston Chronicle, there's obviously something very wrong with those priorities.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read