Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008   #21
Speedy
Yeller Dweller
 
Speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Livable Forest
Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Posts: 3,159
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking News!! Roof Closed For Sat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Keep it closed, it's friggin hot.
Amen to that!
I'll 2nd that! After 4 hours of tailgating, 5 if you count the hour wait on Main St, in the 98 degree heat, I look forward to entering Reliant icebox.

As DB said though, I go there to watch a football game, not to look up at the rafters, stars, blue sky, airplanes flying by or whatever, regardless of how aesthetically pleasing it may be to the peepers. That's what cheerleaders are for. And they would be aesthetically pleasing standing in front of a dumpster.

__________________

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #22
aj.
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,769
Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking News!! Roof Closed For Sat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
As DB said though, I go there to watch a football game, not to look up at the rafters, stars, blue sky, airplanes flying by or whatever, regardless of how aesthetically pleasing it may be to the peepers. That's what cheerleaders are for. And they would be aesthetically pleasing standing in front of a dumpster.
Like I said, it's hard to explain. I don't [a word for male appendage that it won't let me type] my head up and stare through the hole in the roof and go ooh...ahhh. It's just that from my angle (I sit in the lower bowl) I can always sense/see through the periphery if there's an open or closed roof over my head, and given the choice, any sense of outdoors to me is better than indoors - except when it's 90+ in there. Maybe the higher you sit and the farther away from the field you get, the less of this effect is apparent - at least simple geometry would suggest that... I don't know ... it's not a huge deal - I'm just saying what I like the best. I'm one of the few thousand who would get wet if the roof was open and it started raining straight down - like at the start of that game the first year when it did - and we did for a brief moment ....

Last edited by aj.; 08-06-2008 at 05:07 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #23
barrett
Hall of Fame
 
barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,666
Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking News!! Roof Closed For Sat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
tried to rep barret, had to spread it 1st, repped everyone in this thread lol, went to next thread, repped all them too, now I've hit the 24 hour limit, Ill get you tomorrow barrett
thanks for the kind attempt.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #24
barrett
Hall of Fame
 
barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,666
Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking News!! Roof Closed For Sat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
... I'm one of the few thousand who would get wet if the roof was open and it started raining straight down - like at the start of that game the first year when it did - and we did for a brief moment ....
and you're maybe thinking to yourself... "RAIN??? RAIN!?!?... There's no raining in football!!!!!"



kind of like "skylights???? There's no skylights in football!!!"

i'm with you, it's subtle but nice to have in your periphery.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #25
Double Barrel
Modified Simian
 
Double Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Onward, Upward, and back into the Trees
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Age: 47
Posts: 30,621
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking News!! Roof Closed For Sat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Like I said, it's hard to explain. I don't [a word for male appendage that it won't let me type] my head up and stare through the hole in the roof and go ooh...ahhh. It's just that from my angle (I sit in the lower bowl) I can always sense/see through the periphery if there's an open or closed roof over my head, and given the choice, any sense of outdoors to me is better than indoors - except when it's 90+ in there. Maybe the higher you sit and the farther away from the field you get, the less of this effect is apparent - at least simple geometry would suggest that... I don't know ... it's not a huge deal - I'm just saying what I like the best. I'm one of the few thousand who would get wet if the roof was open and it started raining straight down - like at the start of that game the first year when it did - and we did for a brief moment ....
I tend to agree with you in principle...except for the small detail that Reliant was not built to be an open air stadium (as I'm sure you know). If there was some sort of natural air flow, then the heat wouldn't be so bad (it's never an issue with me as I've got an a/c vent pointed at us and we're always in the shade in the south EZ 500's). As it is now, the open roof seems to let in heat from the sun and trap it, which is not conducive towards a comfortable fan experience.

Maybe it's been discussed (probably so and I have forgotten), but why was the decision made to go with a sun roof? I know the rodeo wanted a dome, so it has to be something with the NFL (perhaps so they could shoot off fireworks and get a blimp shot during our one and only Super Bowl?)
__________________
"Football is only a diversion." ~ HOUSTON TEXANS
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #26
DiapHer
GO BIG RED!!!
 
DiapHer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 52
Posts: 4,045
Rep Power: 292 DiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking News!! Roof Closed For Sat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Like I said, it's hard to explain. I don't [rooster] my head up and stare through the hole in the roof and go ooh...ahhh. ....
There's a shorter version for you aj no pun intended !!
__________________
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference."
DiapHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #27
TEXANRED
Texan-American
 
TEXANRED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 38
Posts: 7,131
Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking News!! Roof Closed For Sat!

Wait a minute now. Whats all this complaining about the heat? I thought we were Texans (and not the team but the chosen few who God chose to be from the promise land.) This is like a Northerner complaining about the cold. What happened? When did we get soft?

If you drink enough you wont even notice its hot. Open the damn roof!
__________________
I am in an abusive relationship with life and I am to cowardly to leave it. - Homer Simpson.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #28
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer
 
Texans_Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,241
Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking News!! Roof Closed For Sat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I tend to agree with you in principle...except for the small detail that Reliant was not built to be an open air stadium (as I'm sure you know). If there was some sort of natural air flow, then the heat wouldn't be so bad (it's never an issue with me as I've got an a/c vent pointed at us and we're always in the shade in the south EZ 500's). As it is now, the open roof seems to let in heat from the sun and trap it, which is not conducive towards a comfortable fan experience.

Maybe it's been discussed (probably so and I have forgotten), but why was the decision made to go with a sun roof? I know the rodeo wanted a dome, so it has to be something with the NFL (perhaps so they could shoot off fireworks and get a blimp shot during our one and only Super Bowl?)
Compromise.

NFL wanted open air and real grass.
Rodeo wanted a roof.

Unlike with the Budster, Bob McNair could work with others to get something that would work with everyone.
__________________
More? Please check out Ultimate Texans Chronicle Blog & Steph Stradley Blog & Twitter @StephStradley
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #29
barrett
Hall of Fame
 
barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,666
Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking News!! Roof Closed For Sat!

the nfl had demands about the type of stadium? cool. i'm all for that push. i wish they had won.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger