Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Flashback blog:2006

I was looking up Texan pictures and this comes up and curiosity got the best of me

Quote:
review

Texans sacks.jpg
Redskins 31 Texans 15

Oh, my.

It's only been three games, but let's face it -- the Kubiak Era is looking like an utter disaster. As noted in this earlier post, when Bob McNair replaced former general manager Charley Casserly and head coach Dom Capers, he changed the model of the football operation from a strong GM-field coach model to the strong coach-support GM model. Thus, Kubiak -- who had never been a head coach -- was a somewhat unusual choice to replace Capers.

Through three games, Kubiak looks like a marginal improvement over the Texans' previous offensive coordinators, but a fairly disastrous choice as a head coach. Indeed, there is precious little that has occurred in the first three games that indicates that this team is any better overall than the 2-14 team of last season. Although the Texans' offense has been dreadful in large parts of each of the first three games, the Texans defense is in complete disarray after giving up almost 500 yards for the third straight game and making 36-year old Redskins QB Mark Brunell look like Hall-of-Famer Steve Young. But what's most distressing is that the Texan defenders don't even look as if they have ever seen a screen pass or draw play, and don't appear to have a clue as to situations in the game when those plays are likely to be called. Talent limitations aside, such lack of preparation is a sure sign of bad coaching.

Absent a win next week against a Miami team that has a feckless offense but strong defense, the Texans will likely be 0-6 because, after their bye in Week Five, they play at Dallas and at home against Jacksonville. Thus, the next realistic chance for a victory would be in Week Eight against the Titans. Moreover, based on their performance in the first three games, the Texans appear to have a realistic chance of winning only three or four of their remaining games -- my pre-season prediction of six wins is a pipe dream at this point. Bob McNair does not deserve this.
http://blog.kir.com/archives/2006_09.asp
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Flashback blog:2006

I like the top right corner of the picture...
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't even notice that LOL

I always found it funny that people would spend hard earned money to come to a sporting game and then wear bags over their face.

It is amazing how "smart' kubiak looks after getting rid of Carr
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy who writes that blog is more of a Astros baseball guy. It talks about bad coaching--but the ugliest stuff of Kubiak's first three games were on the defensive side of the ball. The transition to the 4-3 with not much talent, plus the questionable abilities of Richard Smith to build a defense, made you wonder if this might end up being the worst defense in the history of the NFL.

I had someone run the numbers. The defense wasn't the worst ever, but it was pretty danged bad. For those first three games, the Texans defense was by far the worst in the league.

If he didn't see improvement on the offensive side of the ball, he wasn't looking carefully. Anything would be an improvement over the Pendry offensive offense. in 2006, Ocho Viejo felt more comfortable with the scripted plays at the beginning of games, and then not so much.

We should get too smug about the continuous improvement of the team. I have few worries with the offense, but the defense is still a big question mark. Intriguing young talent with nice measurables and modern NFL body types, but they have to prove that they can rush the passer as an entire unit, stop the run, and not have a secondary that resembles overdone toast. The improvement of the defense has not been as marked as the improvement of the offense since Kubiak has come on board.
Old 08-02-2008   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The guy who writes that blog is more of a Astros baseball guy. It talks about bad coaching--but the ugliest stuff of Kubiak's first three games were on the defensive side of the ball. The transition to the 4-3 with not much talent, plus the questionable abilities of Richard Smith to build a defense, made you wonder if this might end up being the worst defense in the history of the NFL.

I had someone run the numbers. The defense wasn't the worst ever, but it was pretty danged bad. For those first three games, the Texans defense was by far the worst in the league.

Well, one thing I remember about that season is that the defense immediately improved when Petey Faggins came back from a foot injury in week 7. We went from awful to mediocre. He made a couple huge plays in the Jacksonville win (was that a shutout?)
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I like the top right corner of the picture...
I do too. A beer does sound tasty right about now.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #7
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I do too. A beer does sound tasty right about now.
the beer wasn't the only thing that looked tasty

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read