Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2008   #61
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Bell is now a Texan

And the Chronic's take on it:

With concerns still surrounding the back injury to Chris Brown, the Texans signed former Broncos running back Mike Bell on Thursday.

Bell is well-versed on the zone-blocking scheme the Texans are implementing this offseason.

He is a third-year back who saw his most success as a rookie in 2006 in Denver. He posted the fourth-most rushing yards (677) and tied for the second-most rushing touchdowns (8) by an undrafted NFL rookie since the inception of the common draft in 1967. Bell battled injuries in 2007 and saw little playing time.

The 6-0, 225 pounder was released by the Broncos this offseason when he struggled as the team tried to move him to fullback.

To make room on the roster for Bell, the Texans released safety Brandon Harrison.

Chris Brown missed his fourth day of practice because of back problems Thursday. Kubiak said his return could still be two more days away.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5917600.html
Old 07-31-2008   #62
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Problem number one. Hall is still a Bronco. Enough people have replied to this that I don't need to cover it.

Problem two...here is Hall's bio from the Bronco website.

Dude must not have any potential. He was cut by Tampa and Chicago before Denver signed him.
I liked what I saw from Hall last year a lot more than what I saw from Bell.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth with people on this issue. I've already left my opinion on this, and it won't change until Bell proves me wrong. However, it doesn't matter. He is a Texan now and what I think doesn't change the situation. I will support him and hope that we get the best out of him.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #63
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
We signed him as a low tender restricted free agent.
okay, I guess that's a bit different.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #64
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Depth, Depth, Depth.

If we can sign them cheap, line them up and let the best players win.

The guy doesn't have to be the next Barry Sanders, just a solid football player that either wins some reps or pushes someone else to step it up.
Old 07-31-2008   #65
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know where they pulled the comment about Green not doing well in camp. The Chron article they linked it to doesn't mention anything about it. Someone's pulling stuff out of their ass. Green has been doing very well in camp.

From Rotoworld
Quote:
Texans signed RB Mike Bell, formerly of the Broncos.

Bell may only be insurance behind injured Chris Brown for now, but it's an ideal landing spot. The Texans' backfield is wide open and supposed starter Ahman Green has not stood out early in camp. We've got a ways to go and Bell isn't at all locked into a roster spot, but he can't be ruled out for a role. Bell can make one cut and go and excels in short-yardage situations. If Ron Dayne can be effective in Houston, Bell has a shot too.
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx
Old 07-31-2008   #66
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

It's like I said in another thread, Bell is just being brought in to save the guys we expect to make the team. Odds are, he's going to be let go. We don't expect him to improve our team because we don't expect him to make it. We just expect him to give the "real" guys a break.

He costs nothing.

We cut a safety (which I called in that other thread) because we had a glut of them. I'm sad to see Harrison go because I was hoping he'd end up being good. But he probably wasn't going to make this team, either.

So we traded one cheap guy who isn't going to make the team for another.

And if Bell comes in and does do well, so much the better.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #67
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

We cut Harrison? I thought we were grooming him to be our future FS. I read that he had a really good day on Tuesday practice, even made an INT and took it home. What a bummer.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #68
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Good, I'm all for it. The more depth at runningback the better. Let em' battle it out in camp and may the best be with our squad.

I'd rather have 4 good backs, compared to the situation we faced in 2005/2005 seasons.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #69
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

We cut a safety (which I called in that other thread) because we had a glut of them.
Yeah, you and a few of the rest of us. This ain't rocket science.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #70
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Depth, Depth, Depth.

If we can sign them cheap, line them up and let the best players win.

The guy doesn't have to be the next Barry Sanders, just a solid football player that either wins some reps or pushes someone else to step it up.
Msg for Mr. Chris Brown!
Msg for Mr. Chris Brown from a Mr. Rick Smith:
Get out of the tub and back on the field if you expect to make this team. We ain't waitin' on ya.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #71
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Msg for Mr. Chris Brown!
Get out of the tub and back on the field if you expect to make this team. We ain't waitin' on ya.

lol
Old 07-31-2008   #72
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the Bell signing due to the fact he is familiar with the Zone Blocking scheme and looked really good before his shoulder injury. Bell will make a very good #3 running back and looks like my man Steve Slaton is moving up the Depth Chart. Ahman Green has to stay healthy or our running game will suffer.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #73
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I was shocked when the texans signed him chris brown was a waste of space.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #74
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

On the titans board, they were saying Chris Brown (when healthy) can generate a lot of yards. Well, when healthy, so can Green and Bell. To be honest Bell is just another cog in the machine here as are all our running backs, with the possible exception of Green if he stay's healthy.

I'm hoping Gibbs works his magic this year, and next year we present him some RB talent to work with from the draft. This year isn't getting any better than what we already got.

Unless, of course, we get a nice suprise from one of these guys.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #75
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
if Bell didn't have potential they wouldn't have signed him. Priest Holmes wasn't drafted and bounced from the Ravens to the Chiefs until he became Priest Holmes - the best back in the league for a few years. Not comparing him to Holmes but you bring in players you think can add something and let r rip.
Vinnnnnnny....

I don't buy that line, not for a second. I like the optimism, though.

That same line could have been used to rationalize the Chris Brown signing, as well. In fact, we could look at all the journeyman RB signings...I think Kubiak averages about 2.5 per month, and say "If ___(insert name) didn't have potential they wouldn't have signed him." And the results are always the same: Dude gets signed, dude gets cut or traded.

I'd take Kevin Jones or Cedric Benson over Mike Bell any day.

But THEY aren't here. Nor does it seem they are even on the radar. Ill bet it has to do with $$$...which means we sign guys who will take low pay.

If you'll excuse me now, I have to go change our RB roster on my white dry erase board.
Old 07-31-2008   #76
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
PFT's take on it:

Mike Bell was on his way to Denver just a few months after Gary Kubiak, who gained a reputation for being able to lead any running back to 1,000 yards, left to become the head coach of the Texans in 2006. In 2008, they’ll actually share an employer.

The Texans have signed the former undrafted free agent to a contract, the terms of which aren’t yet disclosed.

Bell’s a one-cut runner familiar with the zone-blocking scheme the Texans will run this year. He had a productive rookie season, rushing for eight touchdowns and 677 yards on 4.3 yards per carry. But in 2007 he became a victim of Mike Shanahan’s revolving door at tailback and managed only three yards on six carries. The Broncos released him after he couldn’t convert to fullback.

The signing is a response on the Texans’ part to Chris Brown’s back problems. The oft-injured Brown has missed four straight days of practice and isn’t expected back soon. Despite the presence of six backs on the Texans’ roster, there is a vacuum of power where carries can be had, but Bell will be competing with Brown (eventually), Ahman Green, Steve Slaton, Chris Taylor, and Darius Walker for them.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

That sentence I bolded really jumped out at me. Not so much the missed practices, rather the allusion to him being out for a while.
I wonder if Chris Taylor reads that sentence and a light bulb goes on inside his head?

That's pretty spooky, folks. Kubiak might be doing the same thing to Taylor that Shanahan did to Bell: Trying to convert a guy to FB because he's not scoring big on the tailback exams.

LOL. I bet fantasy football people are smokin' angry at us right now. There is no way to predict who's getting the carries. Bwah-ha-hah!
Old 07-31-2008   #77
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Msg for Mr. Chris Brown!

My question is, how in the world do you miss the 1st day of camp for a wedding? When you get the invitation do you not respond and say...

aaaa...you realize I am a professional football player, right? I can't miss the 1st day of camp for your wedding. I will buy you a really cool toaster.

How close could these jokers be to him if they don't take his needing to be at camp on time into consideration?
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #78
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'd take Kevin Jones or Cedric Benson over Mike Bell any day.

But THEY aren't here. Nor does it seem they are even on the radar. Ill bet it has to do with $$$...which means we sign guys who will take low pay.

If you'll excuse me now, I have to go change our RB roster on my white dry erase board.
Cedric Benson isn't going to be on their radar because of the known behavior problems AND his lack of production AND because he's going to be asking for a lot of money. If he was as cheap as Mike Bell, he might have gotten a look-see.

And Kevin Jones is with the Bears now.

Right now, they're looking for cheap legs. Cedric Benson ain't cheap legs.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #79
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I wonder if Chris Taylor reads that sentence and a light bulb goes on inside his head?

That's pretty spooky, folks. Kubiak might be doing the same thing to Taylor that Shanahan did to Bell: Trying to convert a guy to FB because he's not scoring big on the tailback exams.

LOL. I bet fantasy football people are smokin' angry at us right now. There is no way to predict who's getting the carries. Bwah-ha-hah!
Screw the fantasy football people. I am sure as the Pre-season rolls on we'll get a more solid picture of who will be getting the bulk of the carries vs who is still healthy enough to go.

Far as Taylor goes gotta be able to be to help in blitz pickup and that has been something Kubiak has been banging since he arrived.I believe that has been a past issue with Taylor that and fumbles. Might also be indicative that Cook might not be in a good position either.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #80
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Yeah, you and a few of the rest of us. This ain't rocket science.
What? Really? Well don't tell that to Charlie Casserly and Dom Capers.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read