Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2008   #21
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Bell is now a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
[b]If he wasn't the diamond in Denver, what on earth makes you think he could come and be one over here with Salaam and a rookie at tackle? Their are better RB's that the Texans could be going after right now than Mike Bell I can assure you.
Who's better out there? Just curious.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #22
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Bell, 24, wasn't drafted out of Arizona in 2006 but produced like a first-day selection. He ran for 677 yards and scored eight touchdowns, but after a promising start to the '07 preseason, hurt his shoulder, ended up getting passed by Selvin Young on the depth chart and then was switched to fullback. He appeared in just five games at his new position and notched only six overall carries.

After a critical fumble on his lone rushing attempt in a Nov. 25 loss at Chicago, Bell was declared inactive for the remainder of the season and any trade value was diminished.
I've never figured out situations like this. Seems like teams shoot themselves in the foot sometimes with their throw-a-way attitude with players. I doesn't even look like they gave him a chance to return to form. Six carries?!?! Might as well been none.
Old 07-31-2008   #23
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Yeah too bad about Harrison...

As for Mike Bell, I like the move. The kid knows the system and if nothing else, he's a young back who still has something to prove. He's been cut once - lets see if that helps motivate him a little more now that he's here with a new team.

Its a good low risk move.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #24
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
If he wasn't the diamond in Denver, what on earth makes you think he could come and be one over here with Salaam and a rookie at tackle? Their are better RB's that the Texans could be going after right now than Mike Bell I can assure you.

Sorry but signing him didn't really help the team. It just added another so so RB to the roster that will blend in with the bunch we already have.
Name them. But dont just spout off names because you can. Give good sensible reasons. Dont forget that you have to take into account the time of year, the scheme, and the personality of the team.
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #25
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
*cough* Derek Anderson *cough*

The Ravens released him during camp last year..... he went on to become a pro-bowler and the Ravens went on to reaching on a QB with their first pick.
Now you're trying to compare a QB who had nice offensive weapons to work with to a RB who was already in RB's heaven in Denver? Sorry, different position that isn't even comparable.

You guys can think that Mike Bell is about to do great things all you want and applaud the signing. Knock yourself out. I've watched the guy quite a bit, and he wasn't even impressive in Denver's rushing offense the last two years. He wasn't able to keep the starting job either.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Not sure if he's signed for camp or if this is an option they felt might be better down the line for depth this season.

Funny I keep hearing Brown is one foot out the door but I hear nothing about Ahman Green. Perhaps I am missing something. Is he tearing it up in TC? You guys complain about bringing Bell in but aren't hesitant to set Brown out. That makes sense.

Do I think we're set at RB not really but I don't think we're dealing nearly with the shitty voltron RBBC that some people want to portray.

What Running Backs could the Texans go after Tex? Are you putting your name on the list of people that'd like Shaun Alexander?
Yeah, Green has been looking really good in TC.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If he wasn't the diamond in Denver, what on earth makes you think he could come and be one over here with Salaam and a rookie at tackle? Their are better RB's that the Texans could be going after right now than Mike Bell I can assure you.

Sorry but signing him didn't really help the team. It just added another so so RB to the roster that will blend in with the bunch we already have.
You are gonna assure me that the Texans think there are better backs out there but won't sign them because they want to "blend" (whatever that means) more than upgrade the personnel? Just what exactly are you saying?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #28
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now you're trying to compare a QB who had nice offensive weapons to work with to a RB who was already in RB's heaven in Denver? Sorry, different position that isn't even comparable.

You guys can think that Mike Bell is about to do great things all you want and applaud the signing. Knock yourself out. I've watched the guy quite a bit, and he wasn't even impressive in Denver's rushing offense the last two years. He wasn't able to keep the starting job either.
Whats not comparable? Priest and Derek's first team didn't think much of them, released them, they went on to their second team and became studs. Ironically, the team that released both of them were the Ravens.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #29
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:

I missed the post that said Bell is the next star rusher in the league who will dominate all defences and propell the Texans to 10 consecutive Super Bowl victories. See I can over exaggerate to.

Last edited by kravix; 07-31-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You guys can think that Mike Bell is about to do great things all you want and applaud the signing. Knock yourself out.
Who is making big predictions for him or acting all giddy? You're tilting at an imaginary windmill.
Old 07-31-2008   #31
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he may do pretty well, personally.
680 yards, 4.3 ypc, and 8 tds as a rookie in the exact same system we run?
Why not?
Old 07-31-2008   #32
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre Davis' been working out for us too.. go figure
Old 07-31-2008   #33
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
Name them. But dont just spout off names because you can. Give good sensible reasons. Dont forget that you have to take into account the time of year, the scheme, and the personality of the team.
Right now, I would be all for going after Andre Hall from the Broncos. Every time he touched the field last year he played well. He showed HR potential and made some big plays. He didn't get that many opportunities last year because the Broncos has Young, Bell, and Henry. When he did, he really played well though. I think the Texans could probably get him for a really late pick or something, and he does have the potential to be a starter here. He also knows the system already, and watching him run he looked way better than Bell ever has.

I also wouldn't going after Canton Kieth from the Colts. He played really well as a backup last year and when Addai went down, their running game didn't miss a beat with Kieth starting. The Colts got Rhodes back, so I could see them letting go of Kieth especially after he got arrested a few months back.

Those are two backups that I think have a lot more potential than Mike Bell.
Old 07-31-2008   #34
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Who is making big predictions for him or acting all giddy? You're tilting at an imaginary windmill.
I was about to say the same. Isn't he signed to be one of 5 back?I didn't know we just scored our game breaker.
Old 07-31-2008   #35
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
*cough* Derek Anderson *cough*

The Ravens released him during camp last year..... he went on to become a pro-bowler and the Ravens went on to reaching on a QB with their first pick.
*cough* Ryan Grant *cough*
Old 07-31-2008   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right now, I would be all for going after Andre Hall from the Broncos. Every time he touched the field last year he played well. He showed HR potential and made some big plays. He didn't get that many opportunities last year because the Broncos has Young, Bell, and Henry. When he did, he really played well though. I think the Texans could probably get him for a really late pick or something, and he does have the potential to be a starter here. He also knows the system already, and watching him run he looked way better than Bell ever has.

I also wouldn't going after Canton Kieth from the Colts. He played really well as a backup last year and when Addai went down, their running game didn't miss a beat with Kieth starting. The Colts got Rhodes back, so I could see them letting go of Kieth especially after he got arrested a few months back.

Those are two backups that I think have a lot more potential than Mike Bell.
teams don't tend to trade away their backs at this point in the season....I'd consider these suggestions a bit unrealistic even if they aren't the lead backs for their teams. If you trade away your back up players you just have to sign a FA to replace them.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I was about to say the same. Isn't he signed to be one of 5 back?I didn't know we just scored our game breaker.
1 of 6 if we include Chris "my pp hurts" Brown.
Old 07-31-2008   #38
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
teams don't tend to trade away their backs at this point in the season....I'd consider these suggestions a bit unrealistic even if they aren't the lead backs for their teams.
I've been wanting the Texans to go after these two for a while now Vinny. I'm not saying it was an awful signing. I'm saying that this isn't going to help much. All we did was sign another average back that is probably about as good as Walker.
Old 07-31-2008   #39
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Will Zoolander errr Demps was signed after the Giants cut him last year.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #40
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
*cough* Ryan Grant *cough*
Forgot about that one. This is a better example.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read