Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2008   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Actually I got the number 12 from the Texans training camp media release dated 7-22-06.

I meant to say the 2005 team - Capers' last team - the one before Kubiak took over.

More clearly stated, there are only 12 players left from the 2002-05 Dark Era. It was early this morning when I posted - give me a break - and I'll let the Justice comment slide ... this time.

2002 G/T Chester Pitts (2-b) PK Kris Brown (RFA-PIT) G Fred Weary (3-a) CB DeMarcus Faggins (6-a)

2003 WR Andre Johnson (1) LS Bryan Pittman (FA)

2004 CB Dunta Robinson (1-a) TE Mark Bruener (UFA-PIT)
7-9 SS Glenn Earl (4)

2005 DT Travis Johnson (1) LB Morlon Greenwood (UFA-MIA)
SS C.C. Brown (6)

People see different things at different times. Snapshots in time. I would expect varying opinions and observations, not just on Brown but on most everything, so because one person said it and holds that opinion doesn't make it right, wrong or otherwise - it just adds to the data point bucket.
You know how we all love Justice!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #62
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
How is that the same? Dunta can become a great FS, Okoye can become an average DE. He can make a smooth transition over to FS, Okoye on the otherhand....

Beside it isn't like Dunta is a stud a CB, wasn't the complaint that he wasn't a cover corner? That he might be better suited for FS, where he can roam more freely?
Yep same thing IMO. Do you really want an 180lb FS in the backfield? How many CBs really make that transition all that smoothy? Maybe you missed the Marcus Coleman experiment as well. I'm also not sure how much Dunta would be able to add to his frame honestly.

I think we get caught up in name tags like "Franchise" when added to a position. Is he one of the mythical "franchise" CBs? I don't think there are many you can really put in that category so probably not. IS he a solid all around corner who excels more in run support? Yeah but to me long as you are not getting routinely abused outside that's what most teams want or have.

I just don't think this staff covets that rangy FS that a lot of us would like to see in the backfield.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #63
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
The late cuts makes it tough planning fantasy drafts. How do I know if I should draft David Carr if he might not even make the Giants roster?
Projected Statline: 1-8, 12 yrd, 2 fumbles, 3 ints
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #64
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Yep same thing IMO. Do you really want an 180lb FS in the backfield? How many CBs really make that transition all that smoothy? Maybe you missed the Marcus Coleman experiment as well. I'm also not sure how much Dunta would be able to add to his frame honestly.
I really hope you weren't trying to compare Coleman to Dunta. I didn't really watch football all that much back in 04-05 and was still learning the game in 05-06, but I could tell that Coleman was a soft player. P-Burnt barely edged him as the softest player in the secondary.

Dunta already proved that he plays much bigger then his weight indicates, and he can lay a hit like a SS. He played the safety position before in college and probably started off playing it in HS too, so yea I doubt there will be a big learning curve there.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #65
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a link to a column by AP sports writer Kristie Rieken, on Frank Okam:

http://www.statesman.com/horns/conte...svc=7&cxcat=54

The big fella, by reports, isn't overweight. He's about 337, maybe less by now. "...he's a big man...he's pretty well-conditioned for as big of a person he is..." - Kubiak.

It appears he wants to play at about 330 - he should easily reach that by end of training camp.

Regarding his seeming let-down his senior season, my understanding is that the Horns changed their defensive scheme and Okam's role was not to rush or pressure the QB, but rather was to tie up blockers. People who just look at statistics and see diminished numbers do not often look at the over-all picture. Coming out of HS, Frank was a top prospect and with the right scheme, coaching and motivation, could regain this higher level of play. Kubiak is expecting this, saying, "...there's another level for Frank...".

TJ had a...not spectacular...but solid season last year. He's only starting his fourth season and appears to just now be rounding into the kind of player his draft status would indicate. It is not unreasonable to expect much of the kind of improvement this season as usually happens with a player's second season. I believe he's finally injury free and in good shape. Does anyone have any camp information?
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #66
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's another good link I just found :

http://www.battleredblog.com/2008/5/...etting-the-rec
Old 08-01-2008   #67
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Here's a link to a column by AP sports writer Kristie Rieken, on Frank Okam:

http://www.statesman.com/horns/conte...svc=7&cxcat=54

The big fella, by reports, isn't overweight. He's about 337, maybe less by now. "...he's a big man...he's pretty well-conditioned for as big of a person he is..." - Kubiak.

It appears he wants to play at about 330 - he should easily reach that by end of training camp.

Regarding his seeming let-down his senior season, my understanding is that the Horns changed their defensive scheme and Okam's role was not to rush or pressure the QB, but rather was to tie up blockers. People who just look at statistics and see diminished numbers do not often look at the over-all picture. Coming out of HS, Frank was a top prospect and with the right scheme, coaching and motivation, could regain this higher level of play. Kubiak is expecting this, saying, "...there's another level for Frank...".

TJ had a...not spectacular...but solid season last year. He's only starting his fourth season and appears to just now be rounding into the kind of player his draft status would indicate. It is not unreasonable to expect much of the kind of improvement this season as usually happens with a player's second season. I believe he's finally injury free and in good shape. Does anyone have any camp information?
I could have sworn that Okam had better stats his Senior year than all the other years.

I agree with you on TJ. Last year he played better than he ever has. I think that things are clicking for him now and he seems to come out of his shell more. Here's to hoping that he makes a huge leap this year and says "I might be a later starter, but I do have Roud 1 talent."
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #68
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
I could have sworn that Okam had better stats his Senior year than all the other years...
He did. See the second link. I've been basing my assessment from a news analysis I read several months ago, but I could have the timing of this defensive change by the Horns inaccurate. But the second link makes a good case that his collegiate career was as good as those players taken ahead of him. It seems that coming out of HS he was such an outstanding talent that expectations were way up there and it was these expectations that he didn't achieve. Regardless, it seems Kubiak does think there is a higher level for him if he only applies himself.

Doggone it- I'm an optimist - and I sure would like to see this happen. We have the pieces in place for a truly dominating DL.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read