Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2008   #41
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
With the run that was being made on OL, it's possible Duane Brown wouldn't have fallen to us in the 2nd round had we had a 2nd round selection.
It isn't just a possibility, it is a certainty Brown wouldn't have made it to the 2nd round. A San Diego Chargers guy stated they were going to take Brown with the next pick.
Old 07-31-2008   #42
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Consider this a flame if you want but where is the evidence for this? Presumably big name RB's means first two rounds of the draft since getting Slaton doesn't count. So...

1st round--only Reggie Bush was considered worthy of the #1 pick and obviously the pre-draft debate around here about his every down worthiness has proven to be a legitimate concern.
2nd round--Demeco Ryans v. Lendale White. Does taking a player they had rated in the 1st round and were shocked fell to them mean they didn't value RB?

Actually this year provides the strongest evidence available and it is against your point since Kubiak attempted to trade back into the 1st round to get DeAngelo Williams.

1st round--Okoye v. Lynch. The vast majority of pundits had both Okoye and Willis ranked as bpa over Lynch. Plus they had just signed high profile Ahman Green.
2nd round--no pick

1st round--Duane Brown v. Matt Forte. Not sure Forte qualifies as a big name RB. In any event, at best you are looking at one big need against another big need. Can't see how picking one means you don't care about the other.

Not seeing the evidence for the supposition.
I think Mendenhall, at RB, equals what we did last year with Amobi.

DL, OL, and RB are probably our greatest need over the past two years. Well, we went with Amobi last year...seems to have helped shore up the line and might have been a huge help to Mario's success last season.

And I think Mendehall is basically the RB version of Amobi: Very athletic, high motor, ranked high.

That could have left us to go OL in the 3rd, knowing that we'd take a crack at a first round OL in next year's draft.

Yes, my points are all very hypothetical and very 20/20 hindsight. But I just feel strongly that we bypassed a pretty good RB in exchange for what many people are saying is/was a tier 2 OL...whom we drafted in the first round. And that's where the lack of 2nd round picks comes into the picture, for me at least. It's why I think QB and RB are dubiously linked to each other in my mind. Schaub, IMO, has handcuffed us for two straight drafts.

LOL. Next year, when we have a 2nd round pick, us fans are going to be like excited school kids on Christmas break. I'll probably pee in my pants.
Old 07-31-2008   #43
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I pretty much stopped reading right here. this is why there were so many flames on you when you talk about Schuab. It was not his doing or his fault regarding the draft picks so why hate him for it, that is just being hateful for no reason. So the guy fails in yor eyes before he toke a smap. Brilliant!
Sounds to me like someone just wanting to be right.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #44
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I pretty much stopped reading right here. this is why there were so many flames on you when you talk about Schuab. It was not his doing or his fault regarding the draft picks so why hate him for it, that is just being hateful for no reason. So the guy fails in yor eyes before he toke a smap. Brilliant!
Oh, come off it. I don't "hate" the guy. I just don't like the circumstances through which he arrived here.

If Schaub succeeds, I'm not going to be sad. It'll mean that we're winning games, and winning games is what counts. But Sage won us games, too, though those games seem to be marginalized by most fans...as if Sage was good little boy for watching the house while Daddy Matt was away.

And once again: Sage cost us nothing. Matt cost us two straight 2nd rounders.

So if I can't point that out and say that's why the QB maneuvering is a bit of a puzzle to me, when it seems GK and RS are getting it right on virtually all the other positions...then I don't know what to say. Time will tell, and I just hope we're winning games no matter what.
Old 07-31-2008   #45
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That could have left us to go OL in the 3rd, knowing that we'd take a crack at a first round OL in next year's draft.

Yes, my points are all very hypothetical and very 20/20 hindsight. But I just feel strongly that we bypassed a pretty good RB in exchange for what many people are saying is/was a tier 2 OL...whom we drafted in the first round. And that's where the lack of 2nd round picks comes into the picture, for me at least. It's why I think QB and RB are dubiously linked to each other in my mind. Schaub, IMO, has handcuffed us for two straight drafts.
IMO Brown + Slaton + Molden + Barber >>>> Mendenhall + "a 3rd round OT"

Plus trading Schaub was a net loss of one 2nd rounder because they would have used the 2007 pick on a QB. Or, worse yet, we could have stayed at #8 and drafted the "ball hawking" QB Brady Quinn and not gotten Okoye.

Last edited by Seņor Stan; 07-31-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #46
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, please let's not get into it with GP again about the whole Sage vs Schaub deal. The only thing I would like to say, and the only thing really needs to be said about that, is watch Schaub this year.

About Mike Bell, I agree with Vinny that it is a sign that they aren't entirely happy about their group of RBs.

As Kubiak said, we need Chris Brown on the field. It looks like a situation where they just really need to get another RB out there on the practice field, and if Brown isn't going to be that guy they will try and find someone else who will. Brown is obviously not a special player, so he will get no special treatment. You've got to be active and hard working if you want to make this Texans roster as a backup. That's not something Chris Brown is doing right now.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #47
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
.....(Sigh) This is the part where I get flamed. Fire away everybody.
martyr syndrome much?

I think you have good points and I draw similarities between this "administration" with RB's and the previous administrations take on the draft where Casserly always had to be the draft-genius "Riverboat Gambler" guy who was smarter than everyone else. It's like a kind of arrogance I guess.

The one thing I'd conceed is that in the first two years of Gary Kubiaks tenure here maybe he felt like he had bigger fish to fry or that a top tier running back would be somewhat wasted if he didn't fix other things first. He did try to draft DeAngelo Williams right behind Mario in 2006. He couldn't make the trade back up into the first round and we ended up with DeMeco so I'm glad that didn't work out but it's not like he didn't try to go get a top back. They passed on Reggie Bush (much to my distress then and relief now).

Maybe we'll see them address the RB situation in the next draft. I wouldn't be shocked if that happened. We've filled so many holes since the end of the 2005 season that maybe now it's time to put a stud RB with young, fresh legs behind it all. Let the linemen learn to block for some journeymen runners and then bring someone special in to take it to the next level.
Old 07-31-2008   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Calvin Dawson is ULM's all time leading rusher and rushed for 100 yards or more against BCS schools Kansas, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, Clemson, and Texas A&M.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #49
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets not forget that sometimes nobodies turn out great.

DD was originally taken in the 4th round to be our 3rd down, pass catching guy, and eventually turned into a 1000+ yard rusher

Its not inconceivable to think that Taylor, Walker, or Slaton could have a similar surprise waiting for us
Old 07-31-2008   #50
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Maybe we'll see them address the RB situation in the next draft. I wouldn't be shocked if that happened. We've filled so many holes since the end of the 2005 season that maybe now it's time to put a stud RB with young, fresh legs behind it all. Let the linemen learn to block for some journeymen runners and then bring someone special in to take it to the next level.
That's how I see it. I think they've got a few young guys with potential to be good backups here in the future, and they've brought in these vets (Green and Brown) to get production for the short term (last year + this year). I would be suprised if we do not take a RB in the first day of the draft next year, or atleast plan on it going in.

We had the opportunity this year in Mendenhall, but then you look at all the holes we would have had to fill with only 4 picks after that. Now we've got those holes filled as you said, and we may now have the luxury of taking a RB high in the draft and not worried about glaring holes in our roster. Looking back on it I think RS and co made the right decision.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 07-31-2008 at 11:52 AM.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #51
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans had so many holes to fill the last couple of years, they couldn't possibly have filled them all. So far they've done what I would do, beef up the line on either side of the ball. I'm always for drafting good lineman.

I'm gonna take GPs side on Scuaub, he was a very expensive deal who hasn't proven himself yet. I certainly hope he does this year. I want him to become the QB most of the folks here think he can be. I DO NOT want to be in a position of I Told Ya So on Schaub, becuase that means the Texans are not where they need to be. If Schaub proves himself this year, then the deal was most certainly worth the two picks. But if not....well, I guess it's just something else we will argue over endlessly here.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #52
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Calvin Dawon 5-10, 207 lbs.

He rushed for an average of 141.7 yards against three SEC opponents. He recorded his first 100-yard game of 2006 at Alabama on a season-best 7.4 per carry, and then dominated Arkansas with a 128 yard performance and a 6.7 yards per carry average

Clemson 28-121 yd 4.32 ave., no catch
A&M 20-126yd 6.3 ave., 2 recpts-11 yd

Kansas 7-38 yd 5.43 ave., 3 recpts-37 yd
Bama 16-118 yd 7.38 ave., 2 recpts - 20 yd
Ark 19-128 yd 6.74 ave.
Kent 26-179 yd 6.88 ave., 2 recept - 18 yd

Georgia 11-43 yd 3.91 ave., 1 recpt- 6yd
Ark 10-57 yd 5.7 ave., 3 recpts -25 yd

Last edited by 76Texan; 07-31-2008 at 12:17 PM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #53
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128833 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to address this Mike Bell situation. Why are we going after him? The guy didn't show any flash at all in Denver? Is it because he's just another Denver player that Kubiak wants to add to our roster continuing his efforts to make us the Broncos 2.0?? I dunno, but I think their are better RB's to be talking to right now personally and I don't see how Mike Bell helps much.

If Kubiak wants to look at Denver RB's, then why aren't we trying to get at Hall? Hall seemed like a really good runner in that Denver offense last year when Selvin Young went down. He was very explosive, fast, and hit some HR plays as well in limited time. I think Hall could be better than any RB that we currently have right now, and with the Broncos depth chart at RB being so long, I think we could get him from Denver for a late pick like a 6th rounder. I would do it, because I think he could be better for the Texans this year than any other guy we have right now. No joke.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #54
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I hate to bring this up but, Cedric is still an unsigned RB.
I forget, did we ever take a look at him ?
Old 07-31-2008   #55
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now, we've got basically 4 guys (Green, Slaton, Walker, Taylor) taking reps at the RB position. That's too few. We need at least 5. Probably 6.

With Brown not practicing, we're just working our guys too hard. Remember that Kubes wants to work Green sparingly.

So we need some camp legs. This isn't a question of going out and making a trade for someone to improve our stable of RB's, it's a question of just bringing in some camp legs to keep us from working our main guys too much.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #56
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the Texans running game will be improved in 08 without Brown or Bell.

this whole search for another RB reflects Kubiacks unhappiness with Chris Brown not practicing, Ahman Greens injury history & general lack of quality/proven personel @ the RB position.

people around here better hope, including the powers that be within the Texans, that Rashard Mendenhall doesn't blow up in Pittsburgh like a

we'll get a chance to find out soon enough, roughly 5 weeks- September 7th against the Steelers in Pittsburgh. How's that working for ya

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #57
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting extension to the Texans Running Backs thread from a week or so ago.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #58
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Right now, we've got basically 4 guys (Green, Slaton, Walker, Taylor) taking reps at the RB position. That's too few. We need at least 5. Probably 6.

With Brown not practicing, we're just working our guys too hard. Remember that Kubes wants to work Green sparingly.

So we need some camp legs. This isn't a question of going out and making a trade for someone to improve our stable of RB's, it's a question of just bringing in some camp legs to keep us from working our main guys too much.
So who do you cut to bring in a set of camp legs? The Texans are already at the 80 player max.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #59
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
So who do you cut to bring in a set of camp legs? The Texans are already at the 80 player max.
A wideout or a safety, I think. Maybe someone off the dline.

Right now we've got... what... 8-9 safeties and we're probably going to carry 4 into the season. Wideouts... same sort of thing.

At RB, we've got 5 and we're probably going to carry 4 into the season (in one configuration or another). We have excess at some positions but RB isn't one of them.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #60
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Ha! A safety! Brandon Harrison... I'm surprised he was the one to go. I thought he was going to make the team.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read