Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008   #1
Porky
Hall of Fame
 
Porky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 12,036
Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default the Early Returns Are In....

And it appears that once again, we have had an outstanding draft.

Granted, we haven't even seen these guys in live game action, but all of the early indicators are looking good on every one of these guys. There is no talk of someone being a disapointment, or playing catch up, etc.

Here's a brief look on some of what I have seen/heard/read on each of these guys -

Duane Brown - early reports are that he appears light and nimble on his feet, with good quickness. Most importantly, he seems to be more than holding his own as a pass protector, which is job one. Might be a litle behind in the run blocking, but no reason to think he can't improve there. I don't know if he will start at Pitt, but expect him to be the starter around the quarter mark myself. We'll see.

Antwaun Molden - From multiple sources, appears to be having an exceptional camp. If he keeps it up, I could also see him pushing Reeves early in the season, and he will get plenty of PT as a rookie. Could be a 3rd rd steal.

Steve Slaton - Looks like he could be a poor mans Reggie Bush without the prima donna part. Not in his league as a pass catcher at this point, but a speed guy who seems to like to get the edge. Look for big things on 3rd down this yr.

Xavier Adibi - By all accounts, quick agile and active. Per Kubiak has very good instincts. Seems to be a nickel/dime guy at the moment who will star on ST, but I expect him to push Greenwood hard by the end of the year.

Frank Okam - Per John McClain, having an excllent camp and looks like he is totally motivated and ready to create havoc. Again, if he keeps this up, he will push for PT early on and don't be suprised if he starts at some point. Could be another steal.

Dominque Barber - I expect him to go on the practice squad, but early reports have been positive and he looks like a player too. Just think there is too much depth at safety for him to break on the 53 man roster this yr.

Alex Brink - Still the one pick that's a total head scratcher, but might be grooming him as the #2 in the likely event of Sage's departure. He seems to have some tools, and we'll see if he develops.

If any of you guys that have been at camp have anything to add, let's hear it. This way all of our rooks are in one thread and a good place to read up on them in one place.
__________________
Your local CruiseOne Vacation specialist. www.firstclasscruising.biz Visit me on Facebook.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #2
pittbull3
Veteran
 
pittbull3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 182
Rep Power: 12 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

I think what has made a world of difference, is not just the draft picks themselves, but also the coaching staff and the overall attitude of the team. The NFL has a quick learning curve. For most, if you don't grab the bull by the horns within the first couple of seasons, your career is over. A good example is David Carr. Every team thought the guy had what it took. But no leadership in the locker room, along with poor teaching and horrible coaching, never allowed this guy to progress. Hence, couple hundred sacks later and pocket shy, a shell of what could have been. But, if you come in, learn, get proper instruction, and have the proper environment to learn, you can takes leaps! That is how the good teams have stayed on top so long. Great veteran leadership and competent stability in the front office. Neither of which the Texans had either in tthe leagues existence. Now we are seeing older guys aid the younger, while at the same time, welcoming the challenge. We are seeing coaches hold players accountable on the field, not just to show up at the bank and cash a free agent check. Again. Kudos to Smith, Kubs, the remaining coaching staff, and the players buying into the system.....
pittbull3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #3
b0ng
Ooops
 
b0ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 7,518
Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

All of the draft picks from the last 3 years have looked OUTSTANDING. Between Mario, Amobi, DeMeco, Daniels, Winston, Bennett, Studdard, and now with Molden looking outstanding, and Adibi and Brown both looking like they could push for a starters job, holy ****.

Whoever is doing the drafting needs to remain a Texan for the next decade.
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
http://www.thedrawplay.com/?p=88
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #4
TexansMVP
Probowler
 
TexansMVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 32
Posts: 292
Rep Power: 9 TexansMVP is a fan favorite
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Nice pittbull. I think often times the coaching staff is under looked, but these guys have made a world of difference and helped several of our players tap into their potential. Alex Gibbs and Ray Rhodes will definitely make some of our new rooks look great down the line.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,156
Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
And it appears that once again, we have had an outstanding draft.

Granted, we haven't even seen these guys in live game action, but all of the early indicators are looking good on every one of these guys. There is no talk of someone being a disapointment, or playing catch up, etc.

Here's a brief look on some of what I have seen/heard/read on each of these guys -

Duane Brown - early reports are that he appears light and nimble on his feet, with good quickness. Most importantly, he seems to be more than holding his own as a pass protector, which is job one. Might be a litle behind in the run blocking, but no reason to think he can't improve there. I don't know if he will start at Pitt, but expect him to be the starter around the quarter mark myself. We'll see.

Antwaun Molden - From multiple sources, appears to be having an exceptional camp. If he keeps it up, I could also see him pushing Reeves early in the season, and he will get plenty of PT as a rookie. Could be a 3rd rd steal.

Steve Slaton - Looks like he could be a poor mans Reggie Bush without the prima donna part. Not in his league as a pass catcher at this point, but a speed guy who seems to like to get the edge. Look for big things on 3rd down this yr.

Xavier Adibi - By all accounts, quick agile and active. Per Kubiak has very good instincts. Seems to be a nickel/dime guy at the moment who will star on ST, but I expect him to push Greenwood hard by the end of the year.

Frank Okam - Per John McClain, having an excllent camp and looks like he is totally motivated and ready to create havoc. Again, if he keeps this up, he will push for PT early on and don't be suprised if he starts at some point. Could be another steal.

Dominque Barber - I expect him to go on the practice squad, but early reports have been positive and he looks like a player too. Just think there is too much depth at safety for him to break on the 53 man roster this yr.

Alex Brink - Still the one pick that's a total head scratcher, but might be grooming him as the #2 in the likely event of Sage's departure. He seems to have some tools, and we'll see if he develops.

If any of you guys that have been at camp have anything to add, let's hear it. This way all of our rooks are in one thread and a good place to read up on them in one place.

nice write-up, rep your way

imagine the players Smith/Kubiak will add going forward, selecting in the 2nd rd.?
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 07-30-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spread the rep around, come on mods
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #6
Spike
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 493
Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

I agree on all points. I think we see five of this year's draft picks make an impact on this team. I think the front office has done an excellent job of picking guys who (i) fit the system, (ii) fit the personality of the team and (iii) are good character.

I think another big reason of the success of these players is the willingness of the veterans on the roster to help rookies get caught up and adjust. One of the first thing we saw this new front office do is rid the team of some bad elements and replace them with solid veterans who would serve as an example to the younger players. We don't hear it mentioned much, but you have to believe that a lot of Bennet's success should be credited to Dunta...and we are seeing Dunta do the same thing with Molden. Look at Salaam and Brown. The same could be said for Sage helping Schaub get up to speed last year.

There is just a good feel about the players on this team. Guys doing what they can for the TEAM, notwithstanding the fact that they may be training the guy who will push them back on the depth chart. This sort of attitude becomes the fabric of a team and sets a tone for how this year's rookies will help along rookies to come.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,991
Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

I think we've got a ways to go before we can even form a tentitive grade for our Draft. Obviously it's more about how Duane Brown turns out than any other player, especially since we didn' have a 2nd round pick again this year making the first round choice even more important. And all indications are he is athletic with potential, but still maybe not a reasonably good bet to be a starting NL LT anytime in the near furture.
And at first I would have agreed with you about Alex Brink being the most dubious pick, but now I think it's Dominque Barber. I dunno why we needed one more safety given the many we alread have on our roster, while on the other hand Kubiak does have to seriously begin contemplating the need for a backup QB for the starter when Schaub or Sage are no longer with the team ?
And so far, based upon what I've read, I gotta think that CB Mauden is looking like the best pick, given where he was taken, the relative importance of the CB position, and early assessments of his performance in the NFL.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2008   #8
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame
 
TexanBacker93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cypress, TX
Age: 43
Posts: 1,719
Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

At some point the national talking heads should realize that maybe the people in charge down here know a little bit about the game. Until then I assume every draft pick of the Texans will be mocked.
__________________
Silver lining?
Um....we don't have to wait 3 hours to make our pick in the 1st round?
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #9
Porky
Hall of Fame
 
Porky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 12,036
Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I think we've got a ways to go before we can even form a tentitive grade for our Draft. Obviously it's more about how Duane Brown turns out than any other player, especially since we didn' have a 2nd round pick again this year making the first round choice even more important. And all indications are he is athletic with potential, but still maybe not a reasonably good bet to be a starting NL LT anytime in the near furture.
And at first I would have agreed with you about Alex Brink being the most dubious pick, but now I think it's Dominque Barber. I dunno why we needed one more safety given the many we alread have on our roster, while on the other hand Kubiak does have to seriously begin contemplating the need for a backup QB for the starter when Schaub or Sage are no longer with the team ?
And so far, based upon what I've read, I gotta think that CB Mauden is looking like the best pick, given where he was taken, the relative importance of the CB position, and early assessments of his performance in the NFL.

Whaat do you consider the near future? I would bank on him being the starting LT by the bye week at worst, and possibly as soon as opening day, although I tend to think of that as a long shot.

I think you have a valid point on Barber/Brink. I wasn't wild about either selection at the time, I am simply reporting what I have read or heard about each. At this point, I am not assessing what we should have done with the pick, only what they have done so far in camp.

On Mouldon you seem to maybe contridict yourself a bit there. First you say we cannot even fathom a tentative grade, and then go on to say he looks like the best pick based on his early camp performance.

All in all, a good post. I tend to enjoy reading what you have to say.
__________________
Your local CruiseOne Vacation specialist. www.firstclasscruising.biz Visit me on Facebook.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,991
Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Whaat do you consider the near future? I would bank on him being the starting LT by the bye week at worst, and possibly as soon as opening day, although I tend to think of that as a long shot.

I think you have a valid point on Barber/Brink. I wasn't wild about either selection at the time, I am simply reporting what I have read or heard about each. At this point, I am not assessing what we should have done with the pick, only what they have done so far in camp.

On Mouldon you seem to maybe contridict yourself a bit there. First you say we cannot even fathom a tentative grade, and then go on to say he looks like the best pick based on his early camp performance.

All in all, a good post. I tend to enjoy reading what you have to say.
My impression (granted, that's anything but a real confidant prediction), is that Mouden is atleast as close to be a starting NFL CB as Brown is to being a starting NFL LT if not more so. Now we would expect that from a 3rd rounder, but on the other hand all but one of our seven number 1 picks up to now have started from Day 1, and I don't expect either one of these guys to start against the Steelers.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #11
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

-Okam won't start as long as TJ is healthy and on the roster.

-Brink and Barber were picked becasue of where the Texans had them ranked, and the fact that they were still available--the staff felt they were too good to pass up at that point. That's from little Shanny's mouth.

-I expect Brown to start from Day 1. If Mario truly is one of the top DE's in this league (some say he's THE BEST or atleast top 3) then you kinda gotta think about it in small bites. He's doing o.k. and showing flashes against Mario and we still have a lot of camp left + 4 Pre-season games. I expect him to get a lot better in that time and to become a lot more comfortable.

Ephriam is a vet, but this is a whole new scheme....Who's been getting the most work in this scheme ??? Brown. That would be bad on the Texans part having Brown get all these reps with the first unit while they are learning and becoming acclimated with this new scheme, only to turn around and start Salaam who hasn't practiced as much. He'd be out of synch with his teammates + he wouldn't have had as many reps (reps are VERY important in ZBS). If Salaam is to be the starter for the opening, look for a terrible pre-season from Brown because that's the only way Salaam uproots him.

-I think Molden has a legit shot at being named a starter by game 1

-JMO's
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #12
painekiller
Hall of Fame
 
painekiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: On the West Belt
Age: 51
Posts: 2,050
Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
.
And at first I would have agreed with you about Alex Brink being the most dubious pick, but now I think it's Dominque Barber. I dunno why we needed one more safety given the many we alread have on our roster,
FYI At todays practice it appeared that Barber and Earl where working with the 2nd team. The Brandons where where further down the food chain.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame
 
barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Section: 636
Posts: 2,636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Ephriam is a vet, but this is a whole new scheme....Who's been getting the most work in this scheme ??? Brown. That would be bad on the Texans part having Brown get all these reps with the first unit while they are learning and becoming acclimated with this new scheme, only to turn around and start Salaam who hasn't practiced as much. He'd be out of synch with his teammates + he wouldn't have had as many reps (reps are VERY important in ZBS). If Salaam is to be the starter for the opening, look for a terrible pre-season from Brown because that's the only way Salaam uproots him.
although i agree with you on your other statements for the most part, this is a bit incorrect. this isn't a whole new scheme. Kubiak even said it today:

Quote:
“We’ve been doing it. We came in here, and we were doing it and teaching it. The calls haven’t changed a lick. We brought the expert in here to make sure we’re doing it the right way. If anything, we’ve cut back but our players are familiar with it and getting more and more familiar with it every day. The thing we want to do with running the ball, we want to back off, get simpler, cut down on plays and get good at the one’s we’re going to run.”
however, i do agree with you that reps are very important in this scheme and Gibbs is all about perfecting the timing of it so the players don't have to think about it they can react quickly. he's even advised them to change up their technique from time to time to keep the defense guessing. but that comes with doing it over and over until it's second nature. i think it's unreasonable to think that Salaam doesn't know the system just because he's working with the 2's. The timing thing may be more of an issue but in the end I think it's moot because I believe they are trying to get Brown ready for September against the Pittsburgh Pennsylvanians.

But I just wanted to point out that it's not a new scheme. They're even still running some of Sherm's plays.
__________________
Come check out our blog @ http://www.texansbullblog.com/ News, Analysis and Commentary!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #14
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Yeah, I mispoke with the whole new scheme thing...

It's not actually a "whole new scheme", but there will be a huge difference in the way we block...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #15
barrett
Hall of Fame
 
barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Section: 636
Posts: 2,636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

I wish that I had last season to review once we get into games. I'd love to A/B the two and see how different it really will be.
__________________
Come check out our blog @ http://www.texansbullblog.com/ News, Analysis and Commentary!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #16
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i think it's unreasonable to think that Salaam doesn't know the system just because he's working with the 2's. The timing thing may be more of an issue but in the end I think it's moot because I believe they are trying to get Brown ready for September against the Pittsburgh Pennsylvanians.
Salaam doesn't have to take one rep "to know the system"...He can learn the sytem by wathching and going over his play book...

Though it's not "a whole new scheme" the way that we block is going to drastically change with Gibbs on board...

If you look at Vonta Leach's comments regarding Taylor being moved to fullback he talks about how big of a difference it is for the FB while transistiong to the full fledged ZBS...He talks about how big of a difference it is from last year...It was even said the he probably won't have the new scheme down until the end of training camp...

I stand by my comments...Salaam being suddenly thrown into the starting line-up with limited repetitions in this Gibbs style system would leave us worse off than Brown, IMO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #17
barrett
Hall of Fame
 
barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Section: 636
Posts: 2,636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

funny, I was just posting about Vonta's "new role" in another thread while you were posting this!
__________________
Come check out our blog @ http://www.texansbullblog.com/ News, Analysis and Commentary!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 16,522
Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Yeah, I mispoke with the whole new scheme thing...

It's not actually a "whole new scheme", but there will be a huge difference in the way we block...
Also, remember that Salaam spent a few years in Denver. He's seen ALL of this before. He doesn't need the work.

If Brown doesn't come around before the season starts, Salaam will be ready to start.

But I have a feeling that Brown will be starting.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 43,687
Rep Power: 224612 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I stand by my comments...Salaam being suddenly thrown into the starting line-up with limited repetitions in this Gibbs style system would leave us worse off than Brown, IMO.
Ephraim played two years in Denver with Gibbs as his coach. This is a refresher course for him.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #20
Polo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: the Early Returns Are In....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I wish that I had last season to review once we get into games. I'd love to A/B the two and see how different it really will be.
The biggest differnce we'll see is the way the linemen move and how quickly they get to the second level...

ZBS is a term that a lot of folks are confused by...

Last year we zone blocked a lot, but it wasn't the same kind of zoneblocking that Gibbs is going to bring....

We ran a lot of inside/power zone...with Gibbs on board I expect to see a lot more off tackle/outside zone...

While we still are going to technically be running zone blocking, the steps and angles that linemen take are going to drastically change...The timing is going to change...The way we block will change...The only thing that will stay the same is the "zone concept" which is basically letting defenders dictate who blocks them and how they are blocked...
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger