Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2008   #61
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Running Backs

I've been one of Chris Taylors biggest critics (I always thought he got too much credit) but after watching the training camp videos and interviews, Im sold. I really hope this guy makes the team.

He's a decent runner, a really hard worker, and seems like he'll do just about anything to be part of the Texans organization. Thats the kind of attitude you need to have to be successful in this league
Old 07-29-2008   #62
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it would be really really cool if Chris Taylor was healthy all season and developed into our starter for the 2009 season, Darius Walker proved to be a solid backup for us, and Steve Slaton proved to be a homerun threat and great 3rd down back. I hope Green stays healthy this season and gives us some really good games, but we save some money going into his 3rd and 4th year of his contract by releasing him next offseason. Keep a cheap cheap backfield.

Our offensive line develops pass/run blocking perfectly and for 2009 we've got 2 undrafted free agents and a 3rd rd pick as our RB's and we are a top 5 or top 10 rushing team...
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #63
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think it would be really really cool if Chris Taylor was healthy all season and developed into our starter for the 2009 season, Darius Walker proved to be a solid backup for us, and Steve Slaton proved to be a homerun threat and great 3rd down back. I hope Green stays healthy this season and gives us some really good games, but we save some money going into his 3rd and 4th year of his contract by releasing him next offseason. Keep a cheap cheap backfield.
I don't think Darius Walker makes the team. The only way he makes the team is if one of our other RBs gets hurt. I could be wrong though. If everyone stays healthy though, it's hard to see Walker making the final cut.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #64
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I don't think Darius Walker makes the team. The only way he makes the team is if one of our other RBs gets hurt. I could be wrong though. If everyone stays healthy though, it's hard to see Walker making the final cut.
I'm starting to think more and more that if Taylor makes the team as backup FB, it really opens his (Walker's) chances ALOT. I'm more convinced Green makes the starter role and Slaton is the 3rd down back. That leaves 1 spot between Brown and Walker to fill in as back up. I've been pretty excited about Brown but am starting to get some negative vibes with the other RB's looking more impressive and Brown now somewhat injured (again). If he isn't on the field practicing soon, I can easily see him being the one that gets canned.
Old 07-29-2008   #65
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I used to think Walker was the odd man out too, but he's been pretty good in camp so far.

The fact that Chris Brown's Puh C is hurting already can only help guy's like Walker.

Brown has been the least impressive of the bunch while he was on the field and now that he's pulling a McLady it'll take a miracle for me to hop back on his bandwagon (not that I was ever on it). Couple that with his history of being injured and missing the first practice of camp....Eh....off with his head.

Old 07-29-2008   #66
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have you heard the quotes from Kubiak? Seen the videos from training camp?

Other than a few miscues, Kubiak has spoken very highly of Walker. In the last quote session he described him as developing into a "fine, fine football player"
He said Walker was the pinnacle of conditioning, and could go all practice.

It may seem like Walker is the odd man out on paper, but on the field:
1) He is the only RB on the entire team without injury concerns
2) He is the "thickest" guy we have
3) He proved himself at least capable of sustaining the team last year

I don't think he's going to be an easy cut
Old 07-29-2008   #67
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I don't think he's going to be an easy cut
Agreed.

If I had to put money on it right now, I'd bet on Chris Brown being unemployed long before our little Klingon friend is.
Old 07-30-2008   #68
Texans_Fan59
Rookie

"fine fine football player" couldnt agree more with coach kub.

botton line the line the kid always seems to find the open holes, and seems to be a perfect fit for the zone schene.
Texans_Fan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #69
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry Brown missed day 1 to go to a wedding, then on day 2 he looked pretty bad, while Walker looked like the best RB at the practice.

Next couple days, Brown sits out and Walker continues to look like an NFL player.

Brown has open the door for Walker very wide, very wide indeed and Walker is blasting through the door faster then he ran at the combine.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #70
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Brown has open the door for Walker very wide, very wide indeed and Walker is blasting through the door faster then he ran at the combine.
So... he's like... JOGGING through it?

The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #71
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

A wildcard in RB might be Mike Bell. There was a thread about him earlier and it does appear that he'll be given a tryout.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5914753.html
Quote:
On Friday, the Texans will give tryouts to some running backs, including Mike Bell, who played at Denver the last two years.

General manager Rick Smith also will bring in some cornerbacks for tryouts.

Bell was a rookie free agent from Arizona in 2006 when he rushed for 677 yards and scored eight touchdowns for the Broncos. When he failed to make a successful transition to fullback, they waived him.

“We need some fresh legs to help the other guys,” coach Gary Kubiak said about the backs. “We know he can run our scheme.”

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #72
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A wildcard in RB might be Mike Bell. There was a thread about him earlier and it does appear that he'll be given a tryout.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5914753.html
Quote:
On Friday, the Texans will give tryouts to some running backs, including Mike Bell, who played at Denver the last two years.
=========================

There are quite a few undrafted RBs and FAs out there, and it seems that Kubiak is going to take a look at whomever he feels can improve our stable.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #73
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

C'mon coach give me a tryout. I can at the very least do what Chris Brown's done so far at TC. I don't have a wedding to go to, though, so I'll come up with some other excuse.

Right now I would have to rank themas:

Green
Slaton
Taylor
Walker
Bell
Benson
TexanBacker93
Campbell
Brown

This isn't like the old Texans where if you were hurt and couldn't work they just sent a duck around to give you money. You don't practice and you won't make the team (Petey you should probably listen to this as well.)
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #74
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
=========================

There are quite a few undrafted RBs and FAs out there, and it seems that Kubiak is going to take a look at whomever he feels can improve our stable.
Or who can at least reduce the wear and tear on the four guys who are out there b/c Brown can't go.

I'd say its a very smart move. I bet Brown is gone soon and will join that long list of veteran RB's who are out of work.

FWIW, Brown is another player with a huge forehead. We've already got one huge forehead in Darius Walker and I think that two is just too creepy. Let one of them go because all the Klingons running around are starting to freak me out.
Old 07-30-2008   #75
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
FWIW, Brown is another player with a huge forehead. We've already got one huge forehead in Darius Walker and I think that two is just too creepy. Let one of them go because all the Klingons running around are starting to freak me out.
The similarities are uncanny!

TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #76
drewmar74
disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post

I rest my case.
Old 07-30-2008   #77
Toro59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
C'mon coach give me a tryout. I can at the very least do what Chris Brown's done so far at TC. I don't have a wedding to go to, though, so I'll come up with some other excuse.

Right now I would have to rank themas:

Green
Slaton
Taylor
Walker
Bell
Benson
TexanBacker93
Campbell
Brown

This isn't like the old Texans where if you were hurt and couldn't work they just sent a duck around to give you money. You don't practice and you won't make the team (Petey you should probably listen to this as well.)

I say we throw John Mclain on that list. He's "thick" and looks like he could shed some tackles...
Toro59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #78
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

I saw Cory Boyd got released. IIRC he's a big RB from South Carolina (rookie). I think he's got some potential in this league. Not sure on this team or not... apparently he may have some character issues so if those are anything serious then I doubt he comes.

I think it's a good idea to get some other RB's in camp to help save our RB's going into the season. Preseason games will be a big factor in who stays on the team.
Old 07-30-2008   #79
drewmar74
disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro59 View Post
I say we throw John Mclain on that list. He's "thick" and looks like he could shed some tackles...
John McClain > Ron Dayne

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read