Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2008   #21
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Lead Division in Coaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
it's one of those things that i kind of worry about, let's say that Richard Smith's defense doesn't show enough improvement and they decide to fire him, I'd really hate to see a new system installed. I would hate to have all this down time while the defense has to be reconfigured. (god forbid if we switched to a 3-4 and have to rearrange the personnel again.) I'd like to think that all the coaches on staff share somewhat similar philosophies, otherwise why would they be working in this system? it seems like it would make more sense to tweak the current system than to install a new one. I'm hoping that's the philosophy. lets say John Benton gets hired out from under us after Gibbs retires, I'd hope that one of the offensive assistants would promote to continue teaching the same system rather than someone new coming in with a different philosophy.
I think that Smith (GM) has been getting players that fit our team to a t (or whatever the phrase is). From Mario, Amobi, Okam, etc. Their building and identity on both Offense and Defense and looking for certain players. There is no way we're switching offensive schemes when Gibbs retires (again).

I can't see us switching out of the 4-3 either. Their getting the players (incredible players) to fit that system and would find somebody to come in and tweak it if they were to get rid of Smith (the Coordinator). No way will they make the players we're getting play out of position... they'll find coaches to fit our philosophy.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #22
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I think its great. Our old timers Alex Gibbs and Ray Rhodes are most likely short timers... so why not have our guys waiting in the wings sopping up as much as they can while they can? Thats Coach thinking about the future...
It sounds to me like Gibbs isn't planning to retire anytime soon!

Justice on Gibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Comical
His most recent attempt was after the 2006 season when the Atlanta Falcons got rid of Jim Mora, who’d lured him out of retirement.

Gibbs decided he’d had enough. He saw Broadway shows and visited the Smithsonian. He walked the streets of London and saw the beaches of Hawaii.

“I still missed it,” he told the Rocky Mountain News. “I just felt at the end of the day, ‘What did I do today?’ I promised my wife I would try, and I tried. There is no way I could do that.”
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #23
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
It sounds to me like Gibbs isn't planning to retire anytime soon!

Justice on Gibbs
I bet he retires when he's got 2 superbowl rings w/ the Texans (SB 43 & 44 )
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #24
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18754 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
it's one of those things that i kind of worry about, let's say that Richard Smith's defense doesn't show enough improvement and they decide to fire him, I'd really hate to see a new system installed. I would hate to have all this down time while the defense has to be reconfigured. (god forbid if we switched to a 3-4 and have to rearrange the personnel again.) I'd like to think that all the coaches on staff share somewhat similar philosophies, otherwise why would they be working in this system? it seems like it would make more sense to tweak the current system than to install a new one. I'm hoping that's the philosophy. lets say John Benton gets hired out from under us after Gibbs retires, I'd hope that one of the offensive assistants would promote to continue teaching the same system rather than someone new coming in with a different philosophy.
I think Kubes will continue to bring in coaches that fit his philosophy. Sherman didn't fit it and there were possibly mixed messages to the line and the running game because of it. I think he was able to learn a lot from working with him, though. Kubiak prefers the 4-3 so if Smith were to leave us I feel confident that he would only look at coaches that would run that as a base.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #25
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd hope that the hiring (assuming Rick were fired) would come from within. I guess that's what I'm really getting at. I'd like to think that our hires will be at the bottom. That we are promoting from within the current system and that new coaches are young coaches that are brought in taught what to teach and gradually promoted to keep it going.

So, theoretically, lets say Rick gets fired, Rhodes doesn't want to take on that much of a role because of his health. Some think Bush was our first choice to run the Defense when Kubiak came on anyway, So he get's promoted and the same basic philosophy continues. The same player types etc. (This is again, under the guise that Bush wouldn't be here if he didn't agree with Rick's system in the first place. Otherwise it'd be like an environmentalist taking a job as a senior assistant at a clear cutting company... unless Bush is planning to sabotage!!!!) I digress...

So Bush is the D. Cord. now and maybe Franklin, Hoke, or Holland move up to some sort of Senior assistant role and their jobs are replaced from within by a young guy who's been groomed from the beginning as a lower level assistant and so on...

Thats my dream system. Oh, except that nobody gets fired because they're doing a great job and we're winning Super Bowls and the only people we loose are to HC jobs all over the league. No! Wait! Nobody gets hired away, everyone stays here and then retires so the secret never gets out! Yeah, that's it.... That's the ticket.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read