Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-28-2008   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Lead Division in Coaches...

From Kuharsky's AFC South Blog:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth

Quote:

There are 21 coaches listed on the Texans roster, which gives the last place team in the 2007 AFC South the divisional lead:

Texans: 21
Colts: 17
Jaguars: 17
Titans: 17
Quote:
It's an example of Houston's spare-no-expense operation under owner Bob McNair and shows as the determination of coach Gary Kubiak and GM Rick Smith to ensure the system they've installed stays healthy.

"We've got a lot of young coaches on our staff," Kubiak said. "Bob's been great to let us build a good young coaching staff. In this business, you've got to prepare to lose people. You've got to understand you've got to always be bringing young guys up and teaching them your system if you're going to be consistent over the long haul."
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Lead Division in Coaches...

Is there a limit on the number of coaches a team can have?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is different but I've been thinking it would be really really interesting to take a confidental/anonymous poll of all the Head Coaches and Coordinators from every team in the NFL. Have them rank every single team in different categories like: Owner you would want to work with, Overall team, the direction the team is heading, City location, etc.

It'd have to be anonymous, of course, because if it leaked out that Fisher ranked coaching for the Titans or for Adams very low... he might get the can sooner than later. But I'd find it really interesting how the coaches would rank the organizations, those that are highly regarded vs. those that aren't.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Good question... but I guess not.
Old 07-28-2008   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
I do not think that there is.
Old 07-28-2008   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there is a limit on the number of scouts you can have, but there is no limit on the number of coaches a team may have.
Old 07-28-2008   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't think so.
Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2008   #8
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought we had 23 coaches including Kubiak! If we get the best coaching in the league, who cares how many there are.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Agree.
Old 07-28-2008   #10
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I thought we had 23 coaches including Kubiak! If we get the best coaching in the league, who cares how many there are.
I think its great. Our old timers Alex Gibbs and Ray Rhodes are most likely short timers... so why not have our guys waiting in the wings sopping up as much as they can while they can? Thats Coach thinking about the future...
Old 07-29-2008   #11
Eight Gov
Rookie

Wow is there a link to where you can find how many coaches every team has?
Eight Gov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i remember in the Gibbs 2.0 era in Washington that they had some rediculous number of coaches. it didn't help. but i don't think that they are an organization with the same long term philosophy that the Texans have. I'd be curious to see how many the colts have. I believe that we share a similar philosophy of expecting good coaches to move on and up and protecting the educational momentum by hiring more young coaches that we can mentor and feed with the type of info we want them to coach with and when their elders promote up on other teams that have key positions available we'll have a younger guy who is teaching the exact same system that the guy above him was. so you can have a revolving door of coaches and still keep consistent teaching so you don't have "rebuilding years" with coach turnover and the new coaches want a different type of player so the organization has to replace all the players and that can take years to develop. by the time you've turned over all your players the coaches are on their way out because of a slow turnaround!

one of the greatest things about this organization is that it preaches the "stay the course" philosophy and although it's maybe not as sensational as some other systems, it will prove to have longevity and as a fan i'm much more interested in that.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #13
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
This is different but I've been thinking it would be really really interesting to take a confidental/anonymous poll of all the Head Coaches and Coordinators from every team in the NFL. Have them rank every single team in different categories like: Owner you would want to work with, Overall team, the direction the team is heading, City location, etc.

It'd have to be anonymous, of course, because if it leaked out that Fisher ranked coaching for the Titans or for Adams very low... he might get the can sooner than later. But I'd find it really interesting how the coaches would rank the organizations, those that are highly regarded vs. those that aren't.
I disagree that it would have to be confidential for Jeff Fisher's sake. If Bud Adams is ever stupid enough to fire Fisher, then he will get what he deserves. The Titans would go to the bottom of the division, and meanwhile Jeff Fisher would only be out of a job as long as he wanted. Fisher would have immediate job offers.
Old 07-29-2008   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I disagree that it would have to be confidential for Jeff Fisher's sake. If Bud Adams is ever stupid enough to fire Fisher, then he will get what he deserves. The Titans would go to the bottom of the division, and meanwhile Jeff Fisher would only be out of a job as long as he wanted. Fisher would have immediate job offers.
Whether you like the Titans or not, and I certainly don't, I think one has to agree that Fisher is one of the better NFL head coachs. Not as good as Kubiak, of course.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Whether you like the Titans or not, and I certainly don't, I think one has to agree that Fisher is one of the better NFL head coachs. Not as good as Kubiak, of course.
Definitely agree with both of you, but I was just using that as an example. If I were a coach, I'd be very careful in what I say if there was the slightest chance the public or my organization would find out that I valued 20 or so other organizations better. Maybe Rod Marinelli would be a better example with the Lions. If the lions org. found out he or their defensive coordinator thought the team sucked and ranked them at like #30 or something, it would look bad for them.

However, I'd find it interesting to see how these Coaches feel about other organizations. I'd be willing to bet the Texans would be ranked very high, maybe that's homerism speaking- but it'd be kinda cool to read. What owners are really respected consistently, what teams coaches consistently feel are up and comers. Like hearing that Gibbs and Rhodes were the ones that called Kubiak and not the other way around, that hit me hard that we're a team these people want to go to now.
Old 07-29-2008   #16
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I seem to recall during the most recent collective bargaining discussions some of the smaller market owners (most likely Ralph Wilson since he's pretty vocal) wanting a limit on coaches and salaries to coaches. The larger market teams like the Redskins could afford to overpay and definitely had too many coaches for their own good. I like what the Texans are doing. They have a good mix of young and old. One guy leaves (Sherman) and a young pup steps into the role (Shany II). I don't get the feeling that we are just out to accumulate the most coaches like Snyder was doing. Like Barrett said, it's a different philosophy. Let's see the results on the field now.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #17
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Coach Name Title

Kubiak, Gary Head Coach (15th NFL season, 3rd w/ Texans) Aug 15, 1961
Gibbs, Alex Assistant head coach/offense (24th NFL season, 1st w/ Texans)
Shanahan, Kyle Offensive Coordinator/QBs (5th NFL season, 3rd w/ Texans) Dec 14, 1979
Benton, John Offensive Line Coach (5th NFL season, 3nd w/ Texans)
Harris, Chick Running Backs Coach (28th NFL season, 7th w/ Texans)
Kirksey, Larry Wide Receivers Coach (12th NFL season, 2nd w/ Texans)
Pariani, Brian Tight Ends Coach (18th NFL season, 3rd w/ Texans)
Pollack, Frank Assist. Offensive Line Coach 2nd NFL season, 2nd w/ Texans)
McDaniel, Mike Offensive Assistant (3rd NFL season, 3rd w/ Texans)
LaFleur, Matt Offensive Assistant (1st NFL season, 1st w/ Texans)

Smith, Richard Defensive Coordinator (21st NFL season, 3rd w/ Texans)
Bush, Frank Senior Defensive Assistant (18th NFL season, 2nd w/ Texans)
Franklin, Jethro Defensive Line Coach (8th NFL season, 2nd w/ Texans) Oct 25, 1960
Hoke, Jon Defensive Backs Coach (7th NFL season, 7th w/ Texans)
Holland, Johnny Linebackers Coach (14th NFL season, 3rd w/ Texans) March 11, 1965
Rhodes, Ray Assistant Defensive Backs Coach (28th in NFL, 1st w/ Texans) Oct 20, 1950
Saleh, Robert Defensive Assistant (4th NFL season, 4th w/ Texans)
Carter, Perry Defensive Assistant (3rd NFL season, 3rd w/ Texans) Aug 5, 1971

Marciano, Joe Special Teams Coordinator (23rd NFL season, 7th w/Texans)
Karmelowicz, Bob Special Assist. to Head Coach (16th NFL season, 2nd w/ Texans)
Hightower, Richard Special Teams Assistant (3rd NFL season, 3rd w/ Texans)

Riley, Dan Strength and Conditioning Coach (27th NFL season, 8th w/ Texans)
Wright, Ray Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach (8th NFL season, 7th w/ Texans)
Campbell, Virgil Strength & Conditioning Assistant
Coleman, Everett Strength & Conditioning Assistant

I do not have the ages of the coaches yet I will try and find that.

Last edited by Specnatz; 07-29-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"We've got a lot of young coaches on our staff," Kubiak said. "Bob's been great to let us build a good young coaching staff. In this business, you've got to prepare to lose people. You've got to understand you've got to always be bringing young guys up and teaching them your system if you're going to be consistent over the long haul."
As more and more time passes, my belief that Kubiak was ready to be a head coach in the NFL strengthens.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

it's one of those things that i kind of worry about, let's say that Richard Smith's defense doesn't show enough improvement and they decide to fire him, I'd really hate to see a new system installed. I would hate to have all this down time while the defense has to be reconfigured. (god forbid if we switched to a 3-4 and have to rearrange the personnel again.) I'd like to think that all the coaches on staff share somewhat similar philosophies, otherwise why would they be working in this system? it seems like it would make more sense to tweak the current system than to install a new one. I'm hoping that's the philosophy. lets say John Benton gets hired out from under us after Gibbs retires, I'd hope that one of the offensive assistants would promote to continue teaching the same system rather than someone new coming in with a different philosophy.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #20
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
it's one of those things that i kind of worry about, let's say that Richard Smith's defense doesn't show enough improvement and they decide to fire him, I'd really hate to see a new system installed. I would hate to have all this down time while the defense has to be reconfigured. (god forbid if we switched to a 3-4 and have to rearrange the personnel again.) I'd like to think that all the coaches on staff share somewhat similar philosophies, otherwise why would they be working in this system? it seems like it would make more sense to tweak the current system than to install a new one. I'm hoping that's the philosophy. lets say John Benton gets hired out from under us after Gibbs retires, I'd hope that one of the offensive assistants would promote to continue teaching the same system rather than someone new coming in with a different philosophy.
That is why Iwas trying to find the ages of the coaches.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read