Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-25-2008   #81
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'm not an ESPN insider....but there was clear consenses on the Brown ranking....the only two who disagreed were the Chargers and Gibbs. I have no problem with the reach....but it was a reach.
So I guess the consensus was that he was a 2nd round talent..... are you trying to say there's never been a LT that was drafted in the 2nd round that became a franchise tackle?

It doesn't matter that we reached for him, as long as we got him, cause apparently the coaches think he is going to be the franchise LT, so I'm alright with that. Beside the "reach" was only about 15 picks from where he "should've" gone. Although in reality, SD, SF, and SEA was going to take him with their upcoming picks if we hadn't snatch him from the board. So what I'm trying to say is, there were several teams that were more then willing to "reach" for Duane Brown, it's just we got to him before they did.

Last edited by J-Russ; 07-25-2008 at 03:50 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #82
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

what does any of this matter? if he signed low and plays big he will ask for a new contract and probably get it. if just plays adequately doesnt look like what we thought? so what thats what guaranteed money and options are for. You know what I really like about being a Texan's fan?

I get to watch the damm games, enjoy all the drama and action, and I don't have to worry about where so-and-so was ranked on who's board. That's what I love. to each his own though.
Old 07-25-2008   #83
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

The Duane Brown pick is the worst pick I've seen in 3 years. 3 years ago, New Orleans drafted M.Colston early in the 7th round. He should've been an undrafted free agent. So, they reached about 25 picks. Not Good! and just because he's one of the 10 best players in the draft that doesn't justify them taking him before Mel Kiper thought they should!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #84
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care what anyone else thinks - I'm glad he's a Texan. His is now the best LT we have ever had. Hopefully he pans out or we will be spending more money on that position sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #85
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Why does all this matter anyway? He's signed and on the team. This is reminding me of all the arguments over Mario.
Preeeecisely!
Y'all should go back to April and have this argument.

he's who we could get, that fit the coaches' specs, when our turn to pick came up.
The question before this august assembly now is: "Can he play?"

I'm going tomorrow a.m. and check the big fella out.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #86
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

thank you boys.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #87
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is he really our best LT already? or did you just mean for the long term?

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #88
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
What is it ? It's a new QB with his first concussion...three left in the tank. One in '08, one in '09, Schaub is basically done. You two can argue what the rankings were. I saw them....he was the best on the board when we took him. And the point to all of this: the contract will be more in line with what Alberts and Williams got and not what Flacco got. The two OLT's should recieve more. Rivals, GBN all had him fifty or lower.... but when you're qb is being beaten to death and the franchise has never spent a high pick on one hgher than fifty you do what they did. You reach for a guy the o-line coach says can do the job. I watched him in the east-west shirners game....nothing special. Just a guy. We'll see what kind of guru Gibbs truly is. One more point, I haven't heard Tony Ugoh holding out or unhappy. If he makes all sixteen starts in '08 he is going to want to get paid in '09. They are going through that right now in Buffalo with Jason Peters. Unless Ugoh's agent is a fool he will want top five money next season.

GBN top 100: # 54 Duane Brown OT 6-5, 305 Virginia Tech
Scouts .com OT rankings: # 15

ESPN Clayton :

http://www.warroomreport.com/2008nfl...otrankings.htm
the War room : # 16 OT's.

About football top 100: 60. Duane Brown
http://football.about.com/od/nfldraf...afttoppros.htm

Rivals OT rankings:
12. Duane Brown, 6-5, 305, Virginia Tech

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/viewprora...rt=1&Year=2008

Frank Coyle has him ranked in the top 100 ..... not.

Draft stock # 76 overall
76 Duane Brown
http://www.draftstock.com/site_main/content/view/60/53/

The Huddle Report:
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/FREE_...board100.shtml
# 66 over all.

I'm not an ESPN insider....but there was clear consenses on the Brown ranking....the only two who disagreed were the Chargers and Gibbs. I have no problem with the reach....but it was a reach.
You asked for one, I gave you two!

What's the big deal with these draft sites anyway.
They all had picks that were selected 30-70 spots different from what they predicted.

On the other hand, Thewarroomreport's list you mentioned was old (December)
Their more current rankings (April 28) had 3 OTs going in the second.
Cherilus at #34, Baker at #38 and Brown @ #43
And, they were wrong on all 3 counts there (among many other wrongs.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #89
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You asked for one, I gave you two!

What's the big deal with these draft sites anyway.
They all had picks that were selected 30-70 spots different from what they predicted.

On the other hand, Thewarroomreport's list you mentioned was old (December)
Their more current rankings (April 28) had 3 OTs going in the second.
Cherilus at #34, Baker at #38 and Brown @ #43
And, they were wrong on all 3 counts there (among many other wrongs.)
Exactly... sure the concensus was we reached on Brown... but... I think everyone was wrong about everything during this draft.

Take those rankings and look at Sam Baker- he was a concensus 2nd rounder and the Falcons traded UP to get him in the early 20's.

Second, every team has players ranked differently in relation to others. Especially OL, some guys just would be horrible here but excel on another team.

Third, I'm too lazy to look at those sites.. but let's see where they had all the WR's rated. I'm pretty sure half the mocks had a WR going 11 to buffalo. 0 wr's were taken in the 1st round and the first guy taken was Donnie Avery- how big of a reach was that!? By most boards he didn't crack the top 5 wide outs.

Fourth, flacco at 18? are you serious? reach.

Fifth- players dropping like Mike Jenkins and Rashard Mendenhall? Some had Mendenhall the #1 back in the draft and Jenkins the #1 CB in the draft. If more teams thought this, they would have been drafted higher. Maybe the teams knew something about these guys that they didn't like for their particular team.

Point is: every nfl team is different and views each player differently. Sometimes "reaches" work out and become studs... it's all in how the team/scouts can evaluate that particular player/position and how well they can 'predict' if that player will succeed or fail on their team.

I have to go back to 2006 for the BEST example. 'We' thought Mario would be a better player on THIS team and help THIS team more than Bush would. General concensus was that Bush was the best player in the draft, we thought other wise. Even if every other team in the whole league would have picked Bush if they had the #1 pick, didn't mean we should have. Thankfully, so far, this pick has been a great one for us- sometimes they don't work though. Bush could have been a pro bowler for every single team but us... it would have been a good pick for every other team but us. Mario was considered a reach but its turning out to be quite a good one.

Let's hope Brown can be very similar.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read