Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-27-2008   #41
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Bell rumored to visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by checo446 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him and had him compete as a fullback in camp. The guy was okay as a fullback in Denver and could be solid depth at the position if the Taylor experiment doesn't work out there...
Although I have no problem with Bell coming in for a visit, I would in no way be able to state that he was "OK" at FB in Denver. In order to soften the blow of his demotion, Shanahan voiced that he had the potential to be a Probowl FB. It was widely publicized that Bell was resentfull of his move to that position but would "suck it up." He really never did. He was hardly used at that position (only 5 games) and carried only 6 times. His last carry resulting in an extremely critical situation.........led to his inactivation for the remainder of the season.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #42
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
what exactly do we have? A guy the Titans no longer wanted in Brown, a guy the Packers no longer wanted and hasn't produced in years in Green, an unproven back in Taylor, and an undersized situational back in Slaton....not exactly a cornucopia of talent.
I hope Duane Brown proves his worth.

Because Rashard Mendenhall was there for the taking. I think that's going to be a sore spot with some fans later in the year. It's been a sore spot with me, and it's due to the fact that Kubiak still seems OK with trusting the Shanahan philosophy that you can have lesser-talented RBs in a good zone blocking system (i.e. The System Makes The Difference philosophy).

And I know that hindsight is 20/20...but when we traded down and I saw the Steelers pick Mendenhall, I was like "Damn. Nicely done, Steelers." For Mendenhall to fall that far, when I felt like he was easily a top 15 pick...well, I just think we screwed up and could have had a feature back.

Some say Mendenhall was a one-year wonder, but I think he's going to do OK. (Sigh) Here's to hoping that Alex Gibbs really IS magical. Summon all of your powers, Mr. Gibbs.
Old 07-27-2008   #43
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Inviting Bell to workout serves several purposes:

1) If he looks to be better than someone we have on the roster now, we make a roster move.

2) This reminds everyone that they aren't just competing for spots on the final roster, they are competing for spots at camp.

3) Most importantly, this gives the staff time in advance to look at a prospective replacement in case of an injury. In a week or so, when injuries start hitting multiple teams, Bell could have to decide between several teams that are wooing him. Having already worked out for the Texans and having a little familiarity with the way they do things could be a deciding factor.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #44
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I look at it as this way

If the Texans feel that Bell can do the same thing as our other backs but for less money ..they do it.

More bang for the buck esp in a salary cap era
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #45
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I hope Duane Brown proves his worth.

Because Rashard Mendenhall was there for the taking. I think that's going to be a sore spot with some fans later in the year. It's been a sore spot with me, and it's due to the fact that Kubiak still seems OK with trusting the Shanahan philosophy that you can have lesser-talented RBs in a good zone blocking system (i.e. The System Makes The Difference philosophy).

And I know that hindsight is 20/20...but when we traded down and I saw the Steelers pick Mendenhall, I was like "Damn. Nicely done, Steelers." For Mendenhall to fall that far, when I felt like he was easily a top 15 pick...well, I just think we screwed up and could have had a feature back.

Some say Mendenhall was a one-year wonder, but I think he's going to do OK. (Sigh) Here's to hoping that Alex Gibbs really IS magical. Summon all of your powers, Mr. Gibbs.
I really hope Mendenhall could've blocked at LT for this year because with Two teams in our division choosing to revamp their DE spots and one getting a pro bowler back would've made things interesting.

I have a sick feeling in my gut Jevon Kearse has a career renaissance of sorts back in Jeff Fisher's Defense. Time will tell if the move for Derrick Harvey and Quetin Groves will pay off but in the end they look much better on paper at DE. Freeney should be back for the Colts.

Would you really feel comfortable trotting Salaam out there all year with that ahead of him?

I think Mendenhall landed in a great situation in Pitt. He won't have to step in and be the guy there. In the end I feel confident with the decision....we play in the toughest division top to bottom in the NFL and... I don't see it getting easier any time soon.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #46
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 77507 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
Inviting Bell to workout serves several purposes:

1) If he looks to be better than someone we have on the roster now, we make a roster move.

2) This reminds everyone that they aren't just competing for spots on the final roster, they are competing for spots at camp.

3) Most importantly, this gives the staff time in advance to look at a prospective replacement in case of an injury. In a week or so, when injuries start hitting multiple teams, Bell could have to decide between several teams that are wooing him. Having already worked out for the Texans and having a little familiarity with the way they do things could be a deciding factor.

Great, reasoned thinking. I never gave much thought to #2, but it's a very good point.

Old 07-27-2008   #47
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I really hope Mendenhall could've blocked at LT for this year because with Two teams in our division choosing to revamp their DE spots and one getting a pro bowler back would've made things interesting.

I have a sick feeling in my gut Jevon Kearse has a career renaissance of sorts back in Jeff Fisher's Defense. Time will tell if the move for Derrick Harvey and Quetin Groves will pay off but in the end they look much better on paper at DE. Freeney should be back for the Colts.

Would you really feel comfortable trotting Salaam out there all year with that ahead of him?

I think Mendenhall landed in a great situation in Pitt. He won't have to step in and be the guy there. In the end I feel confident with the decision....we play in the toughest division top to bottom in the NFL and... I don't see it getting easier any time soon.
While we NEED a solid person at RB, I have to agree a good left tackle in our divison was a better move.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #48
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
While we NEED a solid person at RB, I have to agree a good left tackle in our divison was a better move.
Generally speaking its always a "better move".
But it kinda makes we feel we're still one Draft away from being where we want to be in terms of personnel ? With a full Board of Draft picks in 2009 (including a 2nd rounder for the first time since 2006), we should be able to pick up a real edge rusher to play across from Mario and a corner and perhaps another young back ? But we don't need to burn a first-rounder on no stinkin running back.
Speakin of running backs, I think Slaton is primarily a special-sit type guy like Reggie Bush. BTW, anybody else notice how much Slaton looks like Bush, atleast his likeness in the pictures I've seen of him ? Since I've yet to see him play, I can only wonder if the similarities persist on the Field ? You know, fast, agile, pretty good hands but can't block and despises physical contact ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #49
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Isn't it sacreligious to cut Methusaleh?
Very funny

I was thinking the same thing.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #50
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Amobi "landed" to us, too. But we didn't try to get too smart about it.

Look, I know what the idea was: Use the trade down to grab an OL and use the 3rd for hopefully a RB. Or at least that's the way it felt, to me.

I just think we missed a golden opportunity to grab a top tier RB when he was there. Did anybody here foresee Mendenhall lasting past pick 10...or even past pick 15? I didn't.

(Sigh) That's why I am hoping Gibbs is the miracle worker that we think he is.
Old 07-28-2008   #51
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

none of the backs are proven they will stay healthy and they don't know if they can depend on Steve Slaton for an entire season so why not bring in Mike Bell.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #52
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I have to agree with GP here Golden Silence. We needed a RB really bad. The O line needs improvement, but they got a little bit better last year.

Many people forget how much DD helped the Texans when he was here at RB. He had a much worse O line, and a worse passing game under Carr that didn't help either. Mendenhall was the guy that I wanted all off season before the draft. Brown was not some guy that happened to slip to the Texans either. We reached for Brown.

It doesn't really matter now though. The Texans did what they did, and all of us fans will have to live with it, and support Brown. I just hope he ends up being what they thought he could be.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read