Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-23-2008   #41
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who else thinks Mario is going to have an absolute monster year

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Do I think the defense will get more sacks.......yes. Do I think Mario will get 14 or more again.....no. I think he will be in the 11-12 range though. I see two things happening, a more balanced rush attack so the sacks get a bit more spread out and teams really knowing that Mario is the real deal and doing a better job of planning for him which sort of plays to the more balanced sack numbers because they are using more of their efforts to keep Mario off of the QB thereby giving others an easier path.
I'm with you on this. Mario might not have the super numbers but the other guys (Colvin, Okoye) should be free to make more plays.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
That's not what they said..I am sure of that. Now how they know that I do not remember. I can't even remember WHO said it..probably John McClain. And I remember thinking that surprised me.
Even the HCs cannot say that, let alone McClain!
Now, the Texans' philosophy last year was pure to the core of football.
As a percentage, they stay with the down-and-distance philosophy.

They blitz most often on second down and long.
They stay back more on third and long.
(Now I guess I will have to go back and count them, I hope I have the time.)

Assuming that my observations are legitimate overall on that count.
Assuming that with an improved D-line and more speed in the LB-corp, we should be able to do better on first down.
That will create more second and long situations where we have the option to send the blitz.

It will never fly for me that the HC and DC would pronounce even before TC even starts that we won't blitz as much as last year.
We didn't blitz much at all last year anyway!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #43
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Do I think the defense will get more sacks.......yes. Do I think Mario will get 14 or more again.....no. I think he will be in the 11-12 range though. I see two things happening, a more balanced rush attack so the sacks get a bit more spread out and teams really knowing that Mario is the real deal and doing a better job of planning for him which sort of plays to the more balanced sack numbers because they are using more of their efforts to keep Mario off of the QB thereby giving others an easier path.
This is kind of what I am thinking. The defense is going to be better and the team's sack totals will be up because others will be getting to the QB as well. It won't capture the hearts of the simpletons who will just look at his stats, but his overall year will be tremendous. I get goose bumps thinking about the havoc he and the rest of the Steel Blue Swarm will cause.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #44
whiskeyrbl

I think Mario will have between 12 - 16 sacks this year. But I think he is going to be most effective creating havoc in the backfield on runs, dropping backs in the backfield.
Old 07-24-2008   #45
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

He must cause havoc and give the other guys some sack chances.
Old 07-24-2008   #46
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

so no pre-season play by play analysis by the MB and media this year?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #47
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about "Monster" year, but I expect him to have a VERY solid one that should give him a chance to go to his 1st Pro Bowl.

For humor, try THIS LINK to Justice's blog in early 2007. Try to find love for the Mario pick in the comments.
Old 07-24-2008   #48
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Good for him.

Last edited by brakos82; 07-24-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Can't type.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #49
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
so no pre-season play by play analysis by the MB and media this year?
Once training camp starts.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read