Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-18-2008   #1
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer
Default Autism Speaks

Here's a great story about how autism has effected the lives Texans OL Scott Jackson and STC Joe Marciano. It's a good read and if nothing else, its an article aimed at bringing awareness to the significant challenges autism poses to individuals with the disorder and their families.

Texans Tackling Autism

Say word.

Last edited by SOLIS; 07-19-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Fixed the link
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Autism Speaks

Check your link

http://ind.scout.com/a.z?s=113&p=2&c=770205
Old 07-19-2008   #3
Xetuoh1836
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Xetuoh1836 is a Pro BowlerXetuoh1836 is a Pro Bowler

See if this works:

http://hou.scout.com/2/770205.html
Xetuoh1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #4
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Thanks for the heads up. The link is fixed.

Say word.
Old 07-19-2008   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
Here's a great story about how autism has effected the lives Texans OL Scott Jackson and STC Joe Marciano. It's a good read and if nothing else, its an article aimed at bringing awareness to the significant challenges autism poses to individuals with the disorder and their families.

Texans Tackling Autism
This is an edited down version of the same article that Megan Manfull did for the Chronicle around Father's Day in June.

Special dads for special kids

Does Scout typically edit down Chronicle articles without attribution? That's really weird.
Old 07-19-2008   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
This is an edited down version of the same article that Megan Manfull did for the Chronicle around Father's Day in June.

Does Scout typically edit down Chronicle articles without attribution? That's really weird.
Honestly, I had to do a double take because I recognized the article from a month ago. Maybe Scout should be looked at more of a clearinghouse (rotoworld type site) with some opinions thrown in for good measure.

Still, if you're stealing Meagan Manfull's articles you should be ashamed of yourself and go sit in the corner.
Old 07-19-2008   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Honestly, I had to do a double take because I recognized the article from a month ago. Maybe Scout should be looked at more of a clearinghouse (rotoworld type site) with some opinions thrown in for good measure.
This is word-for-word. Not just a link dump. It doesn't say that it previously was published in some form some place else. Or that it was published with permission.

There are all sorts of parasite sites out there that take my content word for word, put it on their site, don't give me any credit except if you click on the header, it takes you back to the original website.

Scout typically doesn't do that sort of thing, so I am thinking that there is some sort of mistake.
Old 07-19-2008   #8
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

It's called blogging if you change the words around some.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #9
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is word-for-word. Not just a link dump. It doesn't say that it previously was published in some form some place else. Or that it was published with permission.

There are all sorts of parasite sites out there that take my content word for word, put it on their site, don't give me any credit except if you click on the header, it takes you back to the original website.

Scout typically doesn't do that sort of thing, so I am thinking that there is some sort of mistake.
It has to be, because scout makes money off of adverts on their site. Not that I want to be the plagarism police but I'm willing to bet the Chronicle just hasn't noticed this yet and will probably pitch a fit if they do (Or Manful will).

I misspoke when I called it a clearinghouse for rotoworld, that was my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
It's called blogging if you change the words around some.
I know you're probably being facetious, but good bloggers are what gets me my Texans information. Texans_Chick, the guys at BattleRedBlog, Diehard CHris, and DGDB&D are very creative and usually have a lot of good insights on things that I wouldn't be able to see.

But yes, some bloggers are definitley nothing more than CTRL+C and CTLR+V with a few minor things edited to make it look like their own.
Old 07-20-2008   #10
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It is Austin, we keep things weird here even the news we steal.
Old 07-22-2008   #11
SOLIS
United We Stand

Here's the explanation for the story being in two places at once:

In my dealing with Scout.com, this is what I know. When you see a story that has Scout.com as the byline, chances are they using a licensed story from TSX.

See, sportswriters from around the country sell their stories to The Sports Xchange (TSX). As per the terms of the deal, these authors are compensated, but not credited - so when a site like Scout.com purchases a license to use stories from TSX, the authors information isn't passed along. And as per the terms of the deal, between Scout and TSX, Scout has permission to put its name on the stories it uses.

The compensated writers are supposed to send DIFFERENT stories or versions to TSX, but sometimes they get lazy. Some newspapers frown on this, because their writers are essentially reselling work the newpaper has already paid for.

In order for Manfull's story to have ended up on Scout.com, she (or someone who owned the rights to her story) had to have sold it to TSX. In a case like the Autism story, my guess is that she got paid twice for the exact same article. How cool the Chronicle is with that practice is beyond me...

Hope that clears it up.

Say word.

Last edited by SOLIS; 07-22-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-22-2008   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

SOLIS,

Thanks for sharing with us that explanation. Something to think about when reading unattributed articles--that they are from moonlighting sportswriters.
Old 07-24-2008   #13
moonmoon
Rookie

good explanation.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read