Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-22-2008   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Running Backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I have never been as excited about our running game as I have been this year. We have bodies & chemistry on the OL, Gibbs, a passing game that is just scratching the surface and a cornucopia of depth at RB with guys having different things to prove.

If a 33 year old Tiki Barber can go for 1600, then why can't an incredibly fit, smart and talented Ahman Green get there? All we are looking for is that one anomaly for a RB on the plus side of 30. I think Green is as good as any cohort in trying to get there just based on talent and drive. If he can hold up, he will be in the mix for an All-Pro consideration. If he can't, then bring in Brown and repeat & stir.
Your unbridled optimism is commendable, without a doubt.

I'm just in a wait-and-see mode at the moment, because we have so many aspects of the running game to work out. We have not had any positive confirmation that any of them will be successful at this point, so my cynicism is grounded in the reality that the proof is in the pudding.
Old 07-22-2008   #22
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The possibility of having to cobble together one player-season from Green and Brown excites me to no end.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #23
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
The possibility of having to cobble together one player-season from Green and Brown excites me to no end.
Tis' the season to be optimistic. Just as I have been accused of being overtly critical, I do enjoy the homer side of things every once in a while. In the context of the Texans history, this cobble job is the best talent we have had in the backfield in my opinion.
Old 07-22-2008   #24
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have never been as excited about our running game as I have been this year. We have bodies & chemistry on the OL, Gibbs, a passing game that is just scratching the surface and a cornucopia of depth at RB with guys having different things to prove.

If a 33 year old Tiki Barber can go for 1600, then why can't an incredibly fit, smart and talented Ahman Green get there? All we are looking for is that one anomaly for a RB on the plus side of 30. I think Green is as good as any cohort in trying to get there just based on talent and drive. If he can hold up, he will be in the mix for an All-Pro consideration. If he can't, then bring in Brown and repeat & stir.

great quote. rep.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #25
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
... this cobble job is the best talent we have had in the backfield in my opinion.
Pretty sad testimony...

I'm optimistic about the team, as I was last year, but I can't wait until we have a feature RB +1. Right now we have two 0.5's and a hi-po 3rd down guy. Slow improvement. They'll get there.

I realize Alex Gibbs farts excellence but whether AG can make it through 50 tackles without getting sore is a big question in my mind. Then add CBs history and ... well ... here's hoping for one good player-season between the two.
Old 07-22-2008   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pretty sad testimony...

I'm optimistic about the team, as I was last year, but I can't wait until we have a feature RB +1. Right now we have two 0.5's and a hi-po 3rd down guy. Slow improvement. They'll get there.

I realize Alex Gibbs farts excellence but whether AG can make it through 50 tackles without getting sore is a big question in my mind. Then add CBs history and ... well ... here's hoping for one good player-season between the two.
excatly.

sad commentary indeed. wholesale changes where needed, have been instituted now lets just watch & see how it develops.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #27
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

A blog that mentions mrs Stradley's

http://blogs.suburbanchicagonews.com...chris-bro.html

Last edited by Wolf; 07-23-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #28
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pretty sad testimony...

Why does nobody mention Chris Taylor? The most exciting thing about our RB situation is its depth. We would have to lose 4 RBs to injury before we would have to trot out Ron Dayne again. Regarding Taylor, he's strong, explosive, and a one cut runner. He may be the feature back once Green is injured or is moved out.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #29
aj.
Hall of Fame

I've mentioned Taylor plenty of times ... it's just that *when healthy* Green and Brown are still ahead of him in the pecking order. Beyond a doubt Taylor and Walker will see significant action in preseason. Whether Taylor sees action at backup FB remains to be seen.
Old 07-23-2008   #30
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's what I keep coming back to in my mind. The guys we have back there just have me grinning ear to ear this season. Remember when we started and there wasn't a Texan RB who could even make another team? We had nobody and now I am certain that we're going to be cutting guys who can play.

Depth is a wonderful thing.
Old 07-23-2008   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with KT that our running game should be more effective this year.
It would be foolish to make any kind of guarantee, but the following are my observations:

1. We have two more guys with the ability to release to the next level and take on a defender there (Myers and Brown).
IMO, they both are better at that than any guys we have last year, including Winston.

Let's assume that we will be able to do that on five more running plays.
Whether it's Green or Brown or Slaton at RB, we should gain 3-4 more yards on those running plays. That will add about 15-20 yards overall.

2. The addition of Brown/Brown and Slaton will give the Texans the opportunity to run the stretch play to the outside more.
One successful stretch play could add ten-fifteen yards.
With AJ and Walter blocking downfield, there's always the chance of a jail-break for our RBs, especially Slaton.

3. These 3 RBs all have the ability to make something out of a screen pass.
The opponents will also have to worry about our draw play.
This will open up our passing game.
And when the defense has to wacth for our play action pass, the running game in turn will open up.

We averaged 99 yd rushing and 234 yd passing last year.
My guesstimate for this year is 120-130 yd rushing and 225-235 yd passing.
That will be between top 10 and top 5 in the league.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I agree with KT that our running game should be more effective this year.
It would be foolish to make any kind of guarantee, but the following are my observations:

1. We have two more guys with the ability to release to the next level and take on a defender there (Myers and Brown).
IMO, they both are better at that than any guys we have last year, including Winston.

Let's assume that we will be able to do that on five more running plays.
Whether it's Green or Brown or Slaton at RB, we should gain 3-4 more yards on those running plays. That will add about 15-20 yards overall.

2. The addition of Brown/Brown and Slaton will give the Texans the opportunity to run the stretch play to the outside more.
One successful stretch play could add ten-fifteen yards.
With AJ and Walter blocking downfield, there's always the chance of a jail-break for our RBs, especially Slaton.

3. These 3 RBs all have the ability to make something out of a screen pass.
The opponents will also have to worry about our draw play.
This will open up our passing game.
And when the defense has to wacth for our play action pass, the running game in turn will open up.

We averaged 99 yd rushing and 234 yd passing last year.
My guesstimate for this year is 120-130 yd rushing and 225-235 yd passing.
That will be between top 10 and top 5 in the league.
I,too think the draw play will get a lot of calls this season.
Old 07-23-2008   #33
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Why does nobody mention Chris Taylor? The most exciting thing about our RB situation is its depth. We would have to lose 4 RBs to injury before we would have to trot out Ron Dayne again. Regarding Taylor, he's strong, explosive, and a one cut runner. He may be the feature back once Green is injured or is moved out.
Because he has yet to do anything in the league. Yes he has promise but a lot of players come in with a lot more promise than Taylor and it is not developed or showed. Until he gets on the field and in game situations that matter and does something he is just a bench warmer.
Old 07-23-2008   #34
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
You never know.

With this group, whoever survives camp looking like the dependable option is going to get the rock.

Terrell Davis almost didn't make the roster with the Broncos, and with his preseason play ended up being one of the best backs in Bronco history.

We need some luck, and we need for them to make their own luck.
Old 07-23-2008   #35
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

I agree with Schaub that any one of the backs could probably be productive in the rushing game. Slaton should not see too much action his rookie year, but he provides good depth along with Walker and/or Taylor. Hopefully C. Brown will stay healthy because he represents the best option for our running attack this year, i think he will surprise a lot of people. Green might still be useful for short yardage and moderate gains, but I think its clear he has lost the breakaway speed he once possessed and this is going to limit his ability to a great extent. He wont break long touchdowns because he cant run away from the linebackers and defensive backs like he did back in his prime with Green Bay.
Old 07-23-2008   #36
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

hell we could end up with mike bell as our starting RB by the time camp is over. He was released by Denver this week. Anything is possible in this plug 'em in system.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Because he has yet to do anything in the league. Yes he has promise but a lot of players come in with a lot more promise than Taylor and it is not developed or showed. Until he gets on the field and in game situations that matter and does something he is just a bench warmer.
Right, until Green or Brown get injured (and none of us want that to happen), Taylor will just languish on the bench.

Why would we sign Brown in the first place?
'Cause he's very familiar with the ZBS, and he's proven.

The only thing that will stop Slaton is if he puts the ball on the ground more than Kubiak would like to see.
The guy is made for the WCO/ZBS marrriage. He's the most versatile of all the backs we have.

He can run between tackles.
He has the vision and the quickness to make the cut back.
He can take the ball outside on a stretch play.
He can line up in the slot and take a pass, whether it's a dump-off to the flat or a quick slant.
He can turn a screen pass into a good gain.
He has the elusiveness, once an Olineman can give a decent block on the next level, he might be gone!

NOT TO SAY that he can't be stopped.
Overall, I'll just say that we don't have to pay Reggie Bush's salary.
(They are not in the same mold really. Slaton is better than Bush between tackles. Bush is more elusive in the open field. Something like that.)
The difference is definitely not worth those gazillion dollars!!!

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if Slaton sits on the bench either.
For it means that Green and Brown are healthy. And I'm cool with that!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #38
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219123 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though Kubiak earlier made statements that Chris Taylor would not be entertained in the FB position, I found this quote from Kubiak on HT.com TC Quotes
Quote:
(on if he feels if RB Chris Taylor is back to where he was and where he fits in) “I felt that way the last four or five days of OTAs. I did not feel that way initially. It looked like he was definitely not the same. But he came out of OTAs very good. He looked good this morning. We are also going to work him a little bit at fullback. So, he’s a big part of this team and he needs to have a good camp and stay healthy.”
If it indeed occurs, it may allow for more, or at least consolidated RB/FB roster.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Enjoyed the article but that picture's cold Steph!
LOL
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #40
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Even though Kubiak earlier made statements that Chris Taylor would not be entertained in the FB position, I found this quote from Kubiak on HT.com TC Quotes

If it indeed occurs, it may allow for more, or at least consolidated RB/FB roster.

As I've been saying, they are going to have to keep 4 RBs this year. This is the first clue to that. With all the injuries at RB and the focus on running the ball this year, we can't go to war with AGreen, CBrown- too many injury concerns and a rookie... CTaylor will make the team unless he's seriously injured.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read