Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-21-2008   #21
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AFC South Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I think it's a little premature to say the titans qb has the same skillset as the '99 version of Steve McNair. Skillset includes what's between the ears which translates to game managment, seeing the entire field, and being able to reliably make all the throws without pulling it down and running every other pass attempt. Being able to read a playbook might help (according to his teammates). We'll see how he performs but it's not a given that they will automatically replicate the success they had in '99. The century ended at the end of 2000, not the end of '99, btw.

Some may remember a native Texan (actually a native Houstonian), Dexter Manley. Manley was totally illiterate, yet a fearsome bull rusher. But a QB, as opposed to a bull rushing DE, have requirements far beyond brute strength. A sprinkling of brain matter between the ears would help. It is unlikely in the NFL that if a QB cannot read or take in the playbook, that plays requiring the coordination of a "team" with split second analysis are likely to occur............thus the constant reverting to brute strength and legs that eventually wear out. In the QB position, brute brain over brute strength, will always prevail...................of course, a brain must be present to begin with.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 07-21-2008 at 04:26 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #22
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The Titans were 5th in the NFL in rushing last season (132 ypg) so they are currently at the top of the league despite not having an elite back.
However, they were 20th in yards per attempt. I guess it depends on whether you want quantity or quality.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #23
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
I am not buying into this yet because after watching our quarterbacks last year i do not think they showed the kind of accuracy with there passes that are needed.
Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels were only both top ten in the league as far as comp% goes.... They are accurate enough to run this system (Jake Plummer anyone?). What they need to avoid is just the "bad throws/reads" and that just comes with more experience on the field and time in the pocket.....and a improved running game won't hurt either.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #24
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels were only both top ten in the league as far as comp% goes.... They are accurate enough to run this system (Jake Plummer anyone?). What they need to avoid is just the "bad throws/reads" and that just comes with more experience on the field and time in the pocket.....and a improved running game won't hurt either.
What that stat does not show is all the catches ( completions ) made by the receiver on bad throws . When you watch a receiver jump into the air do a 180 to catch a pass behind him on a crossing pattern it only appears as a completion by a quarterback . This is not a accurate throw , and if they had been accurate it may have been better yardage and certainly less injuries .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #25
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
What that stat does not show is all the catches ( completions ) made by the receiver on bad throws . When you watch a receiver jump into the air do a 180 to catch a pass behind him on a crossing pattern it only appears as a completion by a quarterback . This is not a accurate throw , and if they had been accurate it may have been better yardage and certainly less injuries .
Please LOL..

c'mon, Andre Johnson was out for most of the season, do you really want me to beleive that our banged up rag tag group of receivers just became all pros (capable of "180" spin catches) over night. Every good passing offense has plays where receivers make great catches every now and them......Peyton's receivers bail him out every now and then and so do Tom Brady's.

As for longer completions, Matt Schaub and Sage also had one of the highest YPA averages (especially Schaub), so I don't understand what your gripe is there....and where do you get this "less injuries" thing....now it's the QBs fault also that our team was so injured?

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #26
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think the Texan's success this year will be tied to how healthy they can stay as it seems to be every year they show signs of promise. I think alot of the pieces are there, it's only the consistency that's lacking. I love this team. Iv'e cheered and hoped for them from day one but its the abundance of health question marks every year that holds them back. Green, AJ, Dunta, Chris Brown, Salaam, Schaub, etc. That's alot of question marks at key positions. It's not just the question of are they healthy NOW, its a durablility issue. I hope this is the year we finally push through that and maybe keep our IR number in acceptable single digit numbers. The promise is definately there and I am truly excited. I pray for the Team's collective health this year more than ever. Go Texans!
Old 07-22-2008   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I think the Texan's success this year will be tied to how healthy they can stay as it seems to be every year they show signs of promise. I think alot of the pieces are there, it's only the consistency that's lacking. I love this team. Iv'e cheered and hoped for them from day one but its the abundance of health question marks every year that holds them back. Green, AJ, Dunta, Chris Brown, Salaam, Schaub, etc. That's alot of question marks at key positions. It's not just the question of are they healthy NOW, its a durablility issue. I hope this is the year we finally push through that and maybe keep our IR number in acceptable single digit numbers. The promise is definately there and I am truly excited. I pray for the Team's collective health this year more than ever. Go Texans!
And when they do come back, you have to add the ultimate question at what level can they truly perform now.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read