Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2005   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Signings mean competition!!!

With all the recent signings for the Texans on the defensive side of the ball, and release of foreman and possible trade of Sharper, the Texans are showing one thing........Competition. It appeared to me, and most likely to the defensive staff, that the Linebacking corp, Sharper included became content with thier personal situations and were not being pushed to keep their job secure. If you look at some of the best teams with excellent defense, they have depth and the depth pushes starters to maintain their spots on the field. I for one love the signings, bringing in youth and speed. This will give guys like Peak and opportunity to put up or shut up! Wong, hit hard, or don't hit at all. This defense will be faster, more agressive and energetic. Even the D-line needs pushed more. DeLoach knows he's not starting. Bring in some guys that will push Walker, who too can be very lazy during games! I hope the Texans draft or pick up another #2 or #3 Wr. This too will push a WR corp that beleives they will just slide up into the rotation! Wrong! The more competition in camp will make this team better!
Old 03-18-2005   #2
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

You got a point, up until now has any player had to worry about losing his starting job in any other season?
Old 03-18-2005   #3
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

I agree 220% bring a back to push Davis maybe he'll get better!
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
You got a point, up until now has any player had to worry about losing his starting job in any other season?
Charlie Clemmons
Jonathan Wells
James Allen
Stacy Mack
Billy Miller
Jerry DeLoach
Fred Weary
Everyone on the 2002 OL except Pitts and McKinney
Matt Stevens
Marlon McCree
Marcus Coleman in a fashion
Jarrod Baxter
Todd Washington

That's all I can think of off the top of my head--I am sure there were more.
Old 03-18-2005   #5
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

eric brown.

corey bradford?
----------------------

factors in the change at the linebacker postion:

discontent (sharper)

overpriced (sharper/foreman)

unproductive (pass rush! run defense)

scheme shortcommings (if you dont have linebackers that can help in coverage -foreman- you cant blitz nearly as effectivley. we have yet to see what a true capers defense is meant to be here in houston)---i think greenwood and charlie anderson are indicators of the emphasis placed on linebackers with the flexibility to cover te's etc....

youth and longterm security for the defenses' most prized postion.
-sharper wong and peek are in the last years of their contracts...sharper couldnt prove to the team he would be here long term by signing a contract now.-foreman isnt a young guy (along with sharper and i think wong)

we do need to retool the linebacker postion...while they havent been horrible they havent all earned their check and i think a lot of them signed in that first year never really fit into that "idea backer" for capers defense. competition is a great thing...and this should be a wake up call to everyone in every postion on the team...nobody is safe -produce at a reasonable cost or risk being replaced.
Old 03-18-2005   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

in house competition is the best thing to bring out the best players we have...i think peek will push for a starting position...i think babin and greenwood are locks...wong, anderson, and everyone else i think will be fighting for that last ILB position next to greenwood...i see wong winning it but in all it should be a very interesting training camp...if we draft a ILB on the first day we could see a very very young linebacking corp starting for us
Old 03-20-2005   #7
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i wouldn't write peek off just yet...capers has said that peek is one of our best athletes and you just don't let one of your best off like that...peek will start this season and open a lot of eyes...i'll put money on that...as for pollack...you gotta love the kids attitude...i think he'll get picked up by green bay and make a real difference in a 4-3 defense...he'll add about 20lbs which he needs to do and will still perform great
Old 03-20-2005   #8
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I think Peek is going to have the light turn on inside his head and start playing well.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #9
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Peek will be a big impact starting for the defense this season !! I expect our sack total to go way up with him and babin on the outside !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #10
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

we cant count on peek to be anything more than unrestrained passion and agression.....i dont know how long that will sit in this organization.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #11
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
we cant count on peek to be anything more than unrestrained passion and agression.....i dont know how long that will sit in this organization.

i think as long as he produces the organization will keep him around, just like TO, and C. Johnnson ! he still has character which is what our organization looks for in guys !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read