Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-14-2008   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It's Time To Sign

Football is right around the corner, and for the rookies, they have less than a week to be signed to be able to participate in TC. I donít see holdout occurring for any of our players, especially since we donít have any top 10 picks. However, with Rick Smith et al, I may have expected Okam and Adibi on a sheet by now.

Houston Texans (2/7)

1. 26 - T, Duane Brown - unsigned
3. 79 - CB, Antwaun Molden - unsigned
3. 89 - RB, Steve Slaton - unsigned
4. 118 - LB, Xavier Adibi - unsigned
5. 151 - DT, Frank Okam - unsigned
6. 173 - S, Dominique Barber - Signed (Undisclosed)
7. 223 - QB, Alex Brink - Signed (Undisclosed)

Here is a comprehensive LIST of how all the other NFL teams fare in their rookie signings (updated 7/13/08)

Hereís a summary of that list:

Overall: 93/252
Round 1: 3/31
Round 2: 2/32
Round 3: 11/36
Round 4: 15/36
Round 5: 14/31
Round 6: 23/41
Round 7: 25/45
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's Time To Sign

This is the one part of football season I hate; getting picks signed. I really wish there was a predetermined tier so we could skip this part.

Looks like we are on par with the rest of the league (bottom picks signed). Hopefully something breaks through this week; we need this guy in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #3
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't we always sign rookies on time except for Travis Johnson which is like a day after TC or something close to it? Anyway, we usually sign our rookies on time so I don't worry about that much and expecting the same for this year.

GO TEXANS!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #4
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 79917 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
This is the one part of football season I hate; getting picks signed. I really wish there was a predetermined tier so we could skip this part.
Same here. I really hope a rookie wage scale is part of the next CBA (fat chance).
Old 07-14-2008   #5
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Same here. I really hope a rookie wage scale is part of the next CBA (fat chance).
My thoughts exactly!! I think they should be signed before they put on a Texan jersey and walk into our facitlities. The Texans would not have picked them in the first place if they didn't already have some faith in their abilities, so, why go through all the mini camps, etc, and stress out one week before TC trying to get them signed. JMO!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody know who Brown's agent is? Sounds like Smith has been working on getting an extension for Demeco in place too. I think we've got the coaching/staff pretty much in place and are really great at drafting players/picking free agents. Now all we have to do is keep the allstar's we have (AJ extension, Demeco, Mario, etc.) Hope we never lose these guys
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Anybody know who Brown's agent is? Sounds like Smith has been working on getting an extension for Demeco in place too. I think we've got the coaching/staff pretty much in place and are really great at drafting players/picking free agents. Now all we have to do is keep the allstar's we have (AJ extension, Demeco, Mario, etc.) Hope we never lose these guys
I agree that a Rookie wage-scale is needed, both for reducing/eliminating holdouts and to encourage teams to pay the money to the vets who've earned it rather than an unproven 22 year old with a fairly high bust potential.

Still, I've actually enjoyed certain holdouts over the past few years. Brady Quinn and Jamarcus Russell come to mind quickly. It will also be interesting to see what happens with the Raiders signing McFadden. I say that based on nothing more than the fact that Al Davis will be calling the shots for the Raiders, and who knows what's going to happen when that's the case. Did he learn a lesson from Russell's holdout last year (Does he remember Russell's holdout last year), or does he really have buyers remorse for all the dollars he's already spent this off-season, and views McFadden as an opportunity to make up for it?

The one nice thing is that given past history, whatever holdout drama develops, it's unlikely to involve us, so we can just sit back and enjoy it.

Edit: Nevermind about McFadden - completely forgot he'd already signed.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 07-14-2008 at 10:33 AM.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2008   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The rookie wage scale is really only needed at the top half (or so) of the first round, i.e., where all the ridiculous bonus money is being spent.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm all for the rookie wage scale.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i'm all for the rookie wage scale.

commie b*stard!
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

-- More Delays Facing NFL Teams Trying to Sign Draft Picks --
Sun Jul 13, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com

The Sun Sentinel reports some draft pick signings could be delayed because of a grievance filed by the NFL Players' Association against the NFL Management Council based on some inconsistency in the Collective Bargaining Agreement language. That grievance will be heard by a Special Master next week.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

That my friends, is the first salvo.
the problem in all of this is: the interpretation of what an uncapped year would mean to these guys in terms of revenue loss in 2010. The market is what it will bare. You should realize that every time you pull up to a gas pump now. I'm wondering how messy this will be ? Smith has his work cut out for him.
Old 07-15-2008   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

The Sun Sentinel reports some draft pick signings could be delayed because of a grievance filed by the NFL Players' Association against the NFL Management Council based on some inconsistency in the Collective Bargaining Agreement language. That grievance will be heard by a Special Master next week.

If I understand the controversy, with the loss of cap in 2010, there would essentially not be a problem with 3rd-7th rounders, but there could be with 2nd rounders, and most certainly 1st rounders. The problem will be to reach a long term agreement (5-6 years). With the "unknown" factor, 1st rounders may not be willing to extend their contracts into the uncapped year.
Old 07-15-2008   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
commie b*stard!
BlaHaHaHa

+1 Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO the union will not risk the wrath of veterans over the salaries of maybe 20 guys(if that) entering the league annually. Now is the time for the union to step up and say common sense should apply on rookies. This kind of reminds me in a way of the bidding war between the NFL and various upstart competitors. Teams and players need to reign this part of salary structure and get something sweet in return. Say an increase in retirment $ for present and past players?
Old 07-15-2008   #16
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If I understand the controversy, with the loss of cap in 2010, there would essentially not be a problem with 3rd-7th rounders, but there could be with 2nd rounders, and most certainly 1st rounders. The problem will be to reach a long term agreement (5-6 years). With the "unknown" factor, 1st rounders may not be willing to extend their contracts into the uncapped year.
Anybody got a link to more detail about this? I haven't been able to find much more than the info. in this thread.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Anybody got a link to more detail about this? I haven't been able to find much more than the info. in this thread.
Somewhat of an overview of the controversy......ProFootballTalk

Hope that helps.
Old 07-15-2008   #18
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Special Master? Huh? do they meet in a dungeon in red hooded capes sacrificing babies?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read