Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-12-2008   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [Chron]Texans still flying well under NFL radar

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Campbell
THE harsh, slap-in-the-
face reality is that America doesn't think much of Bob McNair's little NFL team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Campbell
Instead of bristling at the low profile the Texans take into training camp, which begins July 25, take joy in discovering something before the rest of the world.

Any sloth could jump on the Beatles bandwagon after they appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. None of those John Lennon-come-latelys could possibly know the joy and fun of being in Liverpool's Cavern Club in the early 1960s.

Remember, the Texans don't get bonus points for appearances on magazine covers or buzz generated in other outposts. Why should the season-ticket holder or the faithful fan who considers a Texans game must-see television fret over any lack of respect for the Texans? The more under the radar the Texans travel, the better their chances of ambushing some of the heavy hitters on the early-season schedule.
Why hasn't this guy been writing the football articles, and not John McClain? Either way, I like the piece, and it makes for good off-season filler. I don't know about making the playoffs this year (Although that would be keen), but I do think that the over/under being at 7.5 is a little insulting. I guess that's what I get for liking all of our off-season moves.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Chron]Texans still flying well under NFL radar

good keep it that way

but to me Most teams know who the AFC SOuth teams are and dont take them lighty
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #3
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did you read the "Reader's Comments"?
Dang, even after all the progress we've made, there are still some closet we-shouldda-drafted-whatshisname folks out there who will hate on our Texans until Smithiak drafts an over-hyped "Flava-or-the-year" RB or QB.

oh well, who needs 'em.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy's writing style is very similar to mine...I like it.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Did you read the "Reader's Comments"?
Dang, even after all the progress we've made, there are still some closet we-shouldda-drafted-whatshisname folks out there who will hate on our Texans until Smithiak drafts an over-hyped "Flava-or-the-year" RB or QB.

oh well, who needs 'em.
I hate reading the reader comments on any Chronicle story. Too many naive, stupid people making idiotic statements.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

go ahead then & put your money where your mouth is- take advantage of the favorable odds
  • 30-1 odds on the Texans reaching the Super Bowl
  • over-under for the Texans regular season victory total at 7 1/2

I'm certainly up for the latter

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

When a guy mentions a Las Vegas odd as a media member, tying in the story, I have to disregard anything he has to say.

Guy just got to find a different angle, I'm not sorry to say!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2008   #8
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
go ahead then & put your money where your mouth is- take advantage of the favorable odds
  • 30-1 odds on the Texans reaching the Super Bowl
  • over-under for the Texans regular season victory total at 7 1/2

I'm certainly up for the latter
Heck I just might drop a c-note on both of those. The return on the SB would be nice!!!
Old 07-13-2008   #9
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I hate reading the reader comments on any Chronicle story. Too many naive, stupid people making idiotic statements.
QFTMFT.

I hate Chron.com comments, too. It's like this people do no research at all and just post anything.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

So....say I put 50 dollars on the "over" of the 7 1/2 win total. If they surpass that, what is my return?
Old 07-13-2008   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
So....say I put 50 dollars on the "over" of the 7 1/2 win total. If they surpass that, what is my return?
Probably a money line more so that odds on that one.
Old 07-13-2008   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I am done with these sorts of stories. How many times can the Chronicle write the story that goes:

1. Punchline punchline punchline boy these Texans have sucked over the years.
2. Nationally nobody knows about them.
3. Hey maybe this year they turn the corner.

I have had more than one national writer tell me that one reason why the Texans don't get more national pub is that the stories that come from the Chronicle are so puffy.

ProFootballTalk does a regular link dump of NFL stories from around the league year round. They struggle to find Texans stories that are worth putting in their link dump.

Compare and contrast.

One of the best players in the NBA,Yao Ming goes down last season, and not only does the Chronicle put detailed information about the injury on their site, but they also detail what his doctors and independant doctors say about the injury.

One of the best players in the NFL, Andre Johnson goes down with a knee injury last season and it takes a while before the Chronicle even reports which knee it is.

Why should the national media take the Texans seriously when the Chronicle doesn't report on them seriously either? I'm not saying they need to cheerlead or dump on them. I am just talking doing basic reporting.
Old 07-13-2008   #13
Xetuoh1836
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Xetuoh1836 is a Pro BowlerXetuoh1836 is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Personally I am done with these sorts of stories. How many times can the Chronicle write the story that goes:

1. Punchline punchline punchline boy these Texans have sucked over the years.
2. Nationally nobody knows about them.
3. Hey maybe this year they turn the corner.

I have had more than one national writer tell me that one reason why the Texans don't get more national pub is that the stories that come from the Chronicle are so puffy.

ProFootballTalk does a regular link dump of NFL stories from around the league year round. They struggle to find Texans stories that are worth putting in their link dump.

Compare and contrast.

One of the best players in the NBA,Yao Ming goes down last season, and not only does the Chronicle put detailed information about the injury on their site, but they also detail what his doctors and independant doctors say about the injury.

One of the best players in the NFL, Andre Johnson goes down with a knee injury last season and it takes a while before the Chronicle even reports which knee it is.

Why should the national media take the Texans seriously when the Chronicle doesn't report on them seriously either? I'm not saying they need to cheerlead or dump on them. I am just talking doing basic reporting.
TC, that post spells it out quite plainly and loud! When the only written media in the 4th largest city in the USA (thus, no competetion or competence) give the fans and city of Houston, such crap coverage of the local team, it's no wonder the "national" press ignores us!
Jabba McLame, lil Dick (in)Justice, and the bumbling baffons at the comical.com are an embarassment to Houston sports reporting. If you pry Jabba from the buffet line and lil Dick from VY atheletic supporter, maybe we could get something resembling reporting!?
Xetuoh1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Part of my daily reading is redzone.org and I used to (back in '03) send the Chron Sports director (Cunningham at the time) copies of webpages showing how the Chronicle performed so miserably in terms of the volume of articles about the Texans vs other NFL cities news coverage of their teams. I was focusing on volume and not quality at the time -- quality and insight is another story .. Anyway he basically told me that I didn't know what I was talking about and to shut up and go away. They're the experts you know, and we're just fans that don't know anything. Jacksonville, Carolina and Buffalo were putting out more articles about their teams than our illustrious rag. - edit .. a quick count of the number of articles in the Florida Times Union about the Jags since June 1... [37]. The number of Chron articles about the Texans [19].

I'm sure they're 'gearing up' for a lot of coverage now with camp starting, but based on past history it's not going to be compelling reading.

I was in Cleveland on business about a month ago and the Plain Dealer had 3-4 articles in their paper every day about the Browns. Our guys were on vacation.

Chronicle coverage of the Texans is way below average in quantity and quality. I wish they had competition. Their writers have no motivation to dig for that extra fact or to write anything new and they don't realize that their institutional laziness has cheapened their products to the point where none of our 'serious' fans notice them any longer either. There are never any new angles - ever - it's the same old cookbook, quote sheet reiteration crap every year. I see articles that are boring, repetitive and lacking in passion. Manfull is a robot. McClain's blog is unreadable because he has become the figurative Verizon Guy with his network of titans and cowboys fans following him around. The columnists write so rarely that when they do decide to write something it's usually sounding off on old news or in the 'so-what, who cares about your opinion because you don't follow the team that closely anyway' category. Lance's blog is very good, but he's not a chron employee. Other than that, I think Chron sports is great.

Thank god for the ht.com news items and archive. Nick, Nick, Brooke and everyone else there do a fantastic job with that, and it's definitely become the best source for news on the team.

Last edited by aj.; 07-13-2008 at 10:54 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #15
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Compare and contrast.

Is that a fair comparison? NFL teams are far more guarded about injuries than NBA teams, for obvious reasons.

There's plenty of criticism to heap on the Chron, "the General" and Justice in particular, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to blame the national coverage of the Texans on the Chronicle. IMO Megan Manful does a fair job of covering the team and assessing its strengths and weaknesses, but the reality is the national sports media adopted a narrative about the Houston Texans that can only be shed by the team defying the stereotypical, simplistic expectations. I don't want to defend the Chronicle's coverage because I agree that it's subpar, but that unnamed national writer's excuse won't fly, either.

Relying on the Chronicle to form an accurate impression of the team is just flat-out laziness. Watch a game and form your own impressions accordingly.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #16
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
QFTMFT.

I hate Chron.com comments, too. It's like this people do no research at all and just post anything.

Most of the comments are outsiders looking in. Most of them don't even know what's going on in the world of football. I like to read comments posted here for more logical football knowledge.

As far as the 7 1/2 O/U I'm going with the over.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #17
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year's O/U was a candy-baby bet.

I might have to call on my unsuspecting victim again.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was a bettor, I'd be all over the 7.5 over. I think 9 wins is a good central guesstimate this year.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #19
Xetuoh1836
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Xetuoh1836 is a Pro BowlerXetuoh1836 is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Is that a fair comparison? NFL teams are far more guarded about injuries than NBA teams, for obvious reasons.

There's plenty of criticism to heap on the Chron, "the General" and Justice in particular, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to blame the national coverage of the Texans on the Chronicle. IMO Megan Manful does a fair job of covering the team and assessing its strengths and weaknesses, but the reality is the national sports media adopted a narrative about the Houston Texans that can only be shed by the team defying the stereotypical, simplistic expectations. I don't want to defend the Chronicle's coverage because I agree that it's subpar, but that unnamed national writer's excuse won't fly, either.

Relying on the Chronicle to form an accurate impression of the team is just flat-out laziness. Watch a game and form your own impressions accordingly.
Interesting. Although I believe Megan Manfull to be a nice young lady/sportswriter, I could go to the AP wire/HT.com web site, and repost what was written by others! That does not make for "insightful analysis" from the local birdcage liner or the staff. What has the HOF writer/and HOF committee voting Jabba done to elevate the "national" recognition of the Texans? Yes, winning and losing brings you the publicity (both good and bad) but, when this hack spends more time on his "movie" career and assine spots on chron.video, with the equally inept AM, you get wasted ink, poor coverage, and a fan base (who might not be as "impressionable" to form an opionion, from the play on the field) to know this product/team, and what they are about.

Besides "just" watching the game, maybe an in-depth report on the new players, how the player's are coming along with the ZBS under Joe Gibbs, the safeties relating to Ray Rhodes, progress on signing our draft picks, ect...What do we get instead??? "Cooke County" hype, AM sitting on Jabba's lap for Xmas, and Jabba eating his way thru another country, with camp two weeks away!

Luckly, we have internet bloggers, who are passionate about their team and offer (free of charge, except for their time and energy) incite, answers, and reporting/analysis on all things Texans.

Buzz Bissenger be damned!
Xetuoh1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #20
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 22184 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
QFTMFT.

Agreed, the comments are almost as bad writing as the actual columns/blogs themselves. Especially considering you have group of writers at the Chron that love to write negative and redundant pieces.

[You're late, my friend. I've worked for the Dallas Times Herald, Dallas Morning News and Fort Worth Star-Telegram. I've also had stints at the Austin American-Statesman, Austin Citizen, Abilene Reporter-News, Chicago Sun-Times, Baltimore Sun and Washington Post. I've turned the resignation letter into an art form. And if you're not nice to me, I'll be gone from here so fast I'll be nothing more than the closest you ever got to greatness.--Richard]

Guess who wrote that in response to one of the comments left under his blog?
Our local Negative Nancy sports writer: Dick Justice. I was always under the impression that bouncing around from job to job is a bad thing? Perhaps not in the journalism world? He does great job of pumping himself up though, I for one would not be sad to see him go. Out of all the Chron sports writers he is, to me, the least talented (not saying much).

McClain on the other hand is just a closet Titans/Cowboys fan who is drawing a paycheck from the Chron.

As always when I want the BEST information, I just stop by here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read