Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-12-2008   #81
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predict the 53-man roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
LOL
Now you knew when you formed this thought it was wrong.
Like 3TP said, its the devil he knows vs. the devil he doesn't. And I'll say it again, if Kubes felt that Salaam was gonna be cut, he would have already released him out of respect. See Quinn Gray or Jordan Black.

Its not just experience
its the QUALITY of that experience vs. the quality of the alternatives.
OLT
Brown, Salaam, Frye, Butler
IMHO Salaam is the better option of the three guys behind Brown.

CB
Bennett, Reeves, J.Williams, Fletcher, Faggins, Molden, Roberson
Once you get past Reeves (we know he's only a placeholder till Dunta is 100%) and Molden (who's this year's project CB) you can put the others in a bag and grab any one of 'em.

My guess is, there's gonna be a free-for-all between Faggins, Fletcher, Williams, and Roberson for that last CB spot. And Petey may have the inside track due to starting experience with the team, but unlike Salaam, it wasn't of high enough quality to make me wanna keep him as "insurance". Actually, no one of that last four inspires gobs of confidence:
- Faggins photo is in the dictionary next to the word "TOAST".
- Fletch is too small for my tastes.
- Williams was a decent cover guy in Seattle but didn't even make a team last year
- Roberson is a P/S guy without the size/speed that Molden brings to the table.

I don't understand what you people are watching when you come away with the impression that Salaam is a "quality" tackle. Sure, he's better than Jimmy Herndon and Victor Riley but that's not what we're talking about. In order to keep Salaam on the team, people like Briesel, Studdard, Frye, Butler, C.White are going to be cut. I wouldn't do that in order to keep Salaam. If Butler beats out Salaam at swing tackle, then I would use Pitts or Frye for further tackle depth and keep someone younger with more ability from the list above.

The idea that Salaam doesn't have to win his job in what will be a highly competitive camp doesn't make sense. Faggins has been on the team since 2002. Why wouldn't he be guaranteed a job if he wasn't already cut.. I don't understand the distinction everyone is making.

What's so special about Salaam?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #82
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
1.) Salaam != Faggins. Those are two entirely different positions. One keeps your QB healthy, the other tries not to get burned deep.

2.) Salaam has about 10 times the game experience that Butler, Frye and Brown have put together. Not for nothing, but what happens if you put Duane Brown in at left tacke in game 1 vs Pittsburgh and Jerry Porter comes in untouched and wrecks Matt Schaub? Put in Butler? Okay, what if that happens again? You at least know what you're getting in Salaam and that's the distinction. As much as we want Brown to succeed he hasn't done it yet, and frankly, I'd keep Salaam over White, Butler, and Frye just because he is a capable LT. He's not great, not even good, but Schaub will at least survive a few games with him in there.

I think that's why everybody is in favor of keeping a 10+ veteran who CAN do the job rather than a rookie or 2 year pro who hasn't played any games that we don't know if they are even capable of playing on this level. Right?

However, during training camp, if it is shown that Salaam just doesn't have what it takes anymore, or that all other options are better, then yeah go ahead and cut him. But I don't think we'll see him getting cut unless we have a lot of great things happen in TC (Like the entire OT department just showing up big). Also, I'd be on board with any decisions Kubiak or Gibbs makes reguarding the line.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #83
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand what you people are watching when you come away with the impression that Salaam is a "quality" tackle. Sure, he's better than Jimmy Herndon and Victor Riley but that's not what we're talking about. In order to keep Salaam on the team, people like Briesel, Studdard, Frye, Butler, C.White are going to be cut. I wouldn't do that in order to keep Salaam. If Butler beats out Salaam at swing tackle, then I would use Pitts or Frye for further tackle depth and keep someone younger with more ability from the list above.

The idea that Salaam doesn't have to win his job in what will be a highly competitive camp doesn't make sense. Faggins has been on the team since 2002. Why wouldn't he be guaranteed a job if he wasn't already cut.. I don't understand the distinction everyone is making.

I have a hard time seeing Brisiel not making this team regardless, and if White or Studdard are cut, I don't believe it's going to have anything to do with us keeping Salaam.

I don't believe anybody ever said Salaam shouldn't have to earn the roster spot - but including him in a predicted 53 man roster kind of implies the belief on the part of the poster that he will earn it.

My point is that with Brown coming on board as the hoped for 10-year solution, youth and future upside gets less weight when selecting a backup. I want to know who's better today if we need him, and who will help make Duane Brown a better OLT down the road if we don't. As to who's better today, clearly at the end of the '07 season, the coaches thought it was Salaam or they wouldn't have been starting him. Both Butler and Frye were available last year, and neither was deemed to be a better option than Salaam. Has the offseason allowed Frye or Butler to become better offensive linemen than Salaam, or has an additional 8 months of time caused Salaam's skills to deteriorate to the point where he's not as good as those two guys? I'm thinking the answer is no. If training camp causes the coaches to say it has, then I'm good with that, but I'm just addressing the question that was posed. As to who can make Duane Brown better down the road, I just believe 10 years of experience and well over 100 starts give Salaam the opportunity to become a tremendous mentor.

You made the comment earlier that you were concerned about Frye clearing waivers if they put him on the PS. I'm not. I don't think anyone will claim him. He's a 5th round pick who didn't get claimed in the first half of the '07 season, and I don't think 8 games of being inactive will change that for '08. If I'm right, and he does go on the PS, and develops, then great-maybe he can take Salaam's place as backup OT when he retires (which if it happened after next year wouldn't surprise me at all). As to Butler, my belief is that he'll be on the roster as the 4th OT in addition to Salaam.

I'm not expecting you to change you're opinion, just clarifying a different one.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #84
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
...My point is that with Brown coming on board as the hoped for 10-year solution, youth and future upside gets less weight when selecting a backup. I want to know who's better today if we need him, and who will help make Duane Brown a better OLT down the road if we don't. As to who's better today, clearly at the end of the '07 season, the coaches thought it was Salaam or they wouldn't have been starting him. Both Butler and Frye were available last year, and neither was deemed to be a better option than Salaam. Has the offseason allowed Frye or Butler to become better offensive linemen than Salaam, or has an additional 8 months of time caused Salaam's skills to deteriorate to the point where he's not as good as those two guys? I'm thinking the answer is no. If training camp causes the coaches to say it has, then I'm good with that
excellent angle. great point.

Quote:
I don't think anyone will claim (Frye). He's a 5th round pick who didn't get claimed in the first half of the '07 season, and I don't think 8 games of being inactive will change that for '08. If I'm right, and he does go on the PS, and develops, then great.
yeah. me too. what he said there also.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #85
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have a hard time seeing Brisiel not making this team regardless, and if White or Studdard are cut, I don't believe it's going to have anything to do with us keeping Salaam.

I don't believe anybody ever said Salaam shouldn't have to earn the roster spot - but including him in a predicted 53 man roster kind of implies the belief on the part of the poster that he will earn it.

My point is that with Brown coming on board as the hoped for 10-year solution, youth and future upside gets less weight when selecting a backup. I want to know who's better today if we need him, and who will help make Duane Brown a better OLT down the road if we don't. As to who's better today, clearly at the end of the '07 season, the coaches thought it was Salaam or they wouldn't have been starting him. Both Butler and Frye were available last year, and neither was deemed to be a better option than Salaam. Has the offseason allowed Frye or Butler to become better offensive linemen than Salaam, or has an additional 8 months of time caused Salaam's skills to deteriorate to the point where he's not as good as those two guys? I'm thinking the answer is no. If training camp causes the coaches to say it has, then I'm good with that, but I'm just addressing the question that was posed. As to who can make Duane Brown better down the road, I just believe 10 years of experience and well over 100 starts give Salaam the opportunity to become a tremendous mentor.

You made the comment earlier that you were concerned about Frye clearing waivers if they put him on the PS. I'm not. I don't think anyone will claim him. He's a 5th round pick who didn't get claimed in the first half of the '07 season, and I don't think 8 games of being inactive will change that for '08. If I'm right, and he does go on the PS, and develops, then great-maybe he can take Salaam's place as backup OT when he retires (which if it happened after next year wouldn't surprise me at all). As to Butler, my belief is that he'll be on the roster as the 4th OT in addition to Salaam.

I'm not expecting you to change you're opinion, just clarifying a different one.

a few things:

1. The argument was that Salaam wouldn't be cut now. If the coaches were going to cut him, they would've done it already. My argument is that he'd better be one of the 9 best OLmen on this team if he makes it, and, I don't believe he will be when the dust settles in the preseason.

2. Furthermore, I've been saying that if Butler beats out Salaam as the swing tackle, it is at that point that I believe we need to cut Salaam. If Butler can't do that, then I agree he should make the team.

3. The tremendous upgrade in coaching combined with the talent and the acquired experience over the past year had better improved the quality of play of Studdard and Frye.

4. Watch tape of last season. Salaam was flopping all over the place. He was consistently getting beat pretty badly.
Old 07-12-2008   #86
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hell, I liked the Frye pick. I thought he was going to make his move last year. But apparently he didn't show enough to move Salaam out last season. Maybe he will be a better fit under Gibbs' system. Maybe.
we'll see when camp starts.... I can hardly wait

Quote:
a few things:

1. The argument was that Salaam wouldn't be cut now. If the coaches were going to cut him, they would've done it already. My argument is that he'd better be one of the 9 best OLmen on this team if he makes it, and, I don't believe he will be when the dust settles in the preseason.
The fact that he hasn't been cut already merely indicates the coaches aren't all that impressed with Butler or White over Salaam. For example, they knew Jordan Black didn't stand a chance so he's gone. That's not to say that the younguns can't/won't step up in T/C and beat the old man out. If Salaam gets outplayed, he gets cut. No argument.

Quote:
2. Furthermore, I've been saying that if Butler beats out Salaam as the swing tackle, it is at that point that I believe we need to cut Salaam. If Butler can't do that, then I agree he should make the team.
No one is arguing against this viewpoint.

Quote:
3. The tremendous upgrade in coaching combined with the talent and the acquired experience over the past year had better improved the quality of play of Studdard and Frye.
This remains to be seen.

Quote:
4. Watch tape of last season. Salaam was flopping all over the place. He was consistently getting beat pretty badly.
no one said that Salaam would be GIVEN his job. Those days are over. All I'm saying is that, until one or more of those young'uns go out and prove otherwise, Salaam is the better option at backup.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 07-12-2008 at 04:32 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #87
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
excellent angle. great point.

yeah. me too. what he said there also.

If he has a good preseason they will!
Old 07-12-2008   #88
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
1.) Salaam != Faggins. Those are two entirely different positions. One keeps your QB healthy, the other tries not to get burned deep.

2.) Salaam has about 10 times the game experience that Butler, Frye and Brown have put together. Not for nothing, but what happens if you put Duane Brown in at left tacke in game 1 vs Pittsburgh and Jerry Porter comes in untouched and wrecks Matt Schaub?

That would be amazing! The fact that you envision Jerry Porter playing for Pittsburgh in 2008 belies your view of Salaam being the best option for us at LT in 2008... Only two years ago, you would've been right on both counts.
Old 07-12-2008   #89
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That would be amazing! The fact that you envision Jerry Porter playing for Pittsburgh in 2008 belies your view of Salaam being the best option for us at LT in 2008... Only two years ago, you would've been right on both counts.
Yes, begs a multiple choice question:

A) b0ng has become a case of life imitating virtual life.

B) he is a serious gamer and the line of roster movements in his world has become blurred

C) he had a momentary lapse of reason

D) He is the Architect and is trying to fix the glitch

E) This faux-pas once again proves that the Germans love David Hasselhoff
Old 07-12-2008   #90
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Regarding the first bolded statement, ChampionT already covered it.

Regarding the 2nd one, no one said that Salaam would be GIVEN his job. Those days are over. All I'm saying is that, until one or all of those young'uns go out and prove otherwise, Salaam is the better option at backup.

Hell, I liked the Frye pick. I thought he was going to make his move last year. But apparently he didn't show enough to move Salaam out last season. Maybe he will be a better fit under Gibbs' system. Maybe.
we'll see when camp starts.... I can hardly wait
(sings: I got my tiiiickets! I got my tiiiickets!)
You said they would've already cut him if they were going to do that...

that pretty much eliminates the possibility of cutting him in preseason if you say that they won't cut him in preseason. Am I missing something? Sounds like you're saying that he's already earned his spot on the roster regardless of the efforts, improvements, and play of others during training camp and the assessment of the staff of those players in comparison to Salaam.
Old 07-12-2008   #91
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Yes, begs a multiple choice question:

A) b0ng has become a case of life imitating virtual life.

B) he is a serious gamer and the line of roster movements in his world has become blurred

C) he had a momentary lapse of reason

D) He is the Architect and is trying to fix the glitch

E) This faux-pas once again proves that the Germans love David Hasselhoff
If "he had a momentary lapse of reason" = "temporary brain fart" then I'm going with "C" Regis.
And that's my final answer
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #92
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
... but what happens if you put Duane Brown in at left tacke in game 1 vs Pittsburgh and Jerry Porter comes in untouched and wrecks Matt Schaub?
Why would a Jags WR be rushing the passer for the Steelers?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #93
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At least you almost acknowledged that you know who I'm talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Why would a Jags WR be rushing the passer for the Steelers?
Great addition thanks.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #94
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Besides trying to encite a heated exchange, this is what I'm trying to say...

Sometime in August, the coaching staff is going to be sitting in a room, having to cut this team down to 53. When they go over this list:

Brown
Pitts
Winston
Myers
Briesel
Weary
Studdard
Frye
Butler
Eslinger
C. White
Spencer (I know!)
Salaam

They are going to be looking at 3 or 4 cuts out of that group, at least.
Assuming the top 5 guys are locks, then either Eslinger or CWhite has to make the team, then only three of these guys can make the squad:

Weary
Salaam
Butler
Frye
Spencer
Eslinger/CWhite
Studdard

There will be some tough decisions that day. I think it's likely that they're going to have enough confidence in some of that youth to let Salaam go. He's by far the oldest of the group and offers the least roster flexibility... Everyone else on that list, other than Studdard?, can play multiple positions on the line, in theory.
Old 07-12-2008   #95
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And yet none of the guys we're talking about could displace him in the starting lineup.
Old 07-12-2008   #96
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
And yet none of the guys we're talking about could displace him in the starting lineup.
Butler had a disease that was causing him to lose weight. Once resolved, he went from an afterthought to the swing tackle. Frye was a 5th round rookie they were working to convert to guard. Brown wasn't on the team.

My point, again, is that if Brown wins the starting job, which he likely will- I think Butler will likely beat out Salaam, based on the coaches' enthusiasm for his play this offseason, his youth, and superior athleticism. If that happens, treating Pitts or Briesel or Frye (if he makes the team) as our 4th option at tackle, makes more sense than hanging on to Salaam and cutting a young, athletic guard that the coaches have hopes for.
Old 07-12-2008   #97
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

11 days until each of us start building our case as to why we were right and everybody else was wrong. googoogoogoo.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #98
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
11 days until each of us start building our case as to why we were right and everybody else was wrong. googoogoogoo.

to quote Chevy Chase,

"Barrett, you ignorant Sl*t!"... 13 days. Don't offer false hope.
Old 07-12-2008   #99
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
to quote Chevy Chase,

"Barrett, you ignorant Sl*t!"... 13 days. Don't offer false hope.
Yeah - when you're having heated in-depth discussions about backup offensive linemen, it's probably time for some real football!
Old 07-12-2008   #100
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At least you almost acknowledged that you know who I'm talking about
You mean, the guy that's playing LB for the DOLPHINS now?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read