Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2008   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predict the 53-man roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
LOL
Now you knew when you formed this thought it was wrong.
Like 3TP said, its the devil he knows vs. the devil he doesn't. And I'll say it again, if Kubes felt that Salaam was gonna be cut, he would have already released him out of respect. See Quinn Gray or Jordan Black.

Its not just experience
its the QUALITY of that experience vs. the quality of the alternatives.
OLT
Brown, Salaam, Frye, Butler
IMHO Salaam is the better option of the three guys behind Brown.

CB
Bennett, Reeves, J.Williams, Fletcher, Faggins, Molden, Roberson
Once you get past Reeves (we know he's only a placeholder till Dunta is 100%) and Molden (who's this year's project CB) you can put the others in a bag and grab any one of 'em.

My guess is, there's gonna be a free-for-all between Faggins, Fletcher, Williams, and Roberson for that last CB spot. And Petey may have the inside track due to starting experience with the team, but unlike Salaam, it wasn't of high enough quality to make me wanna keep him as "insurance". Actually, no one of that last four inspires gobs of confidence:
- Faggins photo is in the dictionary next to the word "TOAST".
- Fletch is too small for my tastes.
- Williams was a decent cover guy in Seattle but didn't even make a team last year
- Roberson is a P/S guy without the size/speed that Molden brings to the table.

I don't understand what you people are watching when you come away with the impression that Salaam is a "quality" tackle. Sure, he's better than Jimmy Herndon and Victor Riley but that's not what we're talking about. In order to keep Salaam on the team, people like Briesel, Studdard, Frye, Butler, C.White are going to be cut. I wouldn't do that in order to keep Salaam. If Butler beats out Salaam at swing tackle, then I would use Pitts or Frye for further tackle depth and keep someone younger with more ability from the list above.

The idea that Salaam doesn't have to win his job in what will be a highly competitive camp doesn't make sense. Faggins has been on the team since 2002. Why wouldn't he be guaranteed a job if he wasn't already cut.. I don't understand the distinction everyone is making.

What's so special about Salaam?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read