Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-10-2008   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Have Things Turned Out As Planned?

This is a thread that I am beginning as a springboard from a Nunusguy post on another thread.

The Texans placed a lot of emphasis on the planning of strategies to make Reliant Stadium and its support facilities the safety and maximum home field advantage:

Real grass which could be maintained fresh every game by allowing frequent feeding by sun and changing pallets often............The architects miscalculated the angle of the sun and the amount of time that the grass would be exposed for adequate growth. The frequency of changing of the pallets initially was very inadequate. Recently, the grass condition at game time has been improved by more frequent pallet changes. However, changes have not been able to be performed often enough to maintain a relatively uniform field.

Practices in the mid day Houston sun would harden the troops. There is no doubt that the 1st few years, the players sustained an inordinate number of muscle injuries during OTA’s, TC, preseason and regular season practices, with the heat factor (dehydration, improper pre-activity preparation, etc). This has improved in recent years, but is still suspect.

The heat factor would beat down the opponent. The sun would fry the opponent’s bench. We only have to ask ourselves, how often do we have the roof open in extremes of heat???? How often are the players exposed to extreme heat and humidity in away games???
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #2
maddogmrb
Veteran

Rep Power: 5153 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Have Things Turned Out As Planned?

Seldom does anything happen as planned.

You make your plan.

Work your plan.

Adjust your plan along the way.

Look for improvement every year.

Good news is cheerleaders are always hot!

maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The heat factor would beat down the opponent. The sun would fry the opponent’s bench. We only have to ask ourselves, how often do we have the roof open in extremes of heat???? How often are the players exposed to extreme heat and humidity in away games???
I didn't attend the Pittsburg game in Reliant a few years back, but from what I understand that strategy worked out OK then ? But for the Steelers. And they come from a climate which is anything but like the very steamy, hot climate we have in Houston so go figure ? And many fans were crucified by the temp & humity from what I understand ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #4
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I didn't attend the Pittsburg game in Reliant a few years back, but from what I understand that strategy worked out OK then ? But for the Steelers. And they come from a climate which is anything but like the very steamy, hot climate we have in Houston so go figure ? And many fans were crucified by the temp & humity from what I understand ?
That game defined the 2005 season.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #5
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
That game defined the 2005 season.
What 2005 season? I've blocked that season out of my head.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not to poke at old wounds, but that was the home opener for a team coming off of a 7-9 season. We were playing a team coming off a 8-8 season, so expectations were high. We are painfully aware of how that season went for the 7-9 team, and that 8-8 team ultimately was the Super Bowl Champion. In retrospect, the idea that playing conditions would have a meaningful impact on the outcome of that game is laughable.

As to the overall concept, the Texans went 6-2 in Reliant last year, and are 10-6 in in Kubiak era. This compares to 4-12 on the road. There appears to be a developing home-field advantage. As with so many things about this franchise, if we keep doing what we're doing, everything will be fine. Perhaps there will be a bump or two along the way, but we're doing it right.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #7
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Man Plans - God Laughs....Yiddish expression.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2008   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Practices in the mid day Houston sun would harden the troops. There is no doubt that the 1st few years, the players sustained an inordinate number of muscle injuries during OTA’s, TC, preseason and regular season practices, with the heat factor (dehydration, improper pre-activity preparation, etc). This has improved in recent years, but is still suspect.

I think the hardened pros from 2002-2004 were Sharper , Glenn , Dunta , AJ , and Walker . The rest were ... when the going gets tough ... hey we're an expansion team ... it showed in 2005 . This does'nt translate well if your going to try to out tough someone .
Old 07-10-2008   #9
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This is a thread that I am beginning as a springboard from a Nunusguy post on another thread.

The Texans placed a lot of emphasis on the planning of strategies to make Reliant Stadium and its support facilities the safety and maximum home field advantage:

Real grass which could be maintained fresh every game by allowing frequent feeding by sun and changing pallets often............The architects miscalculated the angle of the sun and the amount of time that the grass would be exposed for adequate growth. The frequency of changing of the pallets initially was very inadequate. Recently, the grass condition at game time has been improved by more frequent pallet changes. However, changes have not been able to be performed often enough to maintain a relatively uniform field.

I have to say I am a bit PO'd about the practice in the heat. It hasn't helped the Texans in the least and there is plenty of evidence that it has hurt the team. CUT THAT OUT! We don't really even have an outdoor stadium anyway. The roof is ALWAYS closed.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #10
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4090 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We have adjusted down to when to open the roof and if it is above 80 degrees then you can bank on no sunburn.
Old 07-10-2008   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Steelers also brought cooled benches while the Texans were sitting on metal ones with no cooling features. Whatever braniac with the Texans made that decision was hopefully fired with the rest of that pathetic staff.

Reliant is a dome with a sun roof. I'm always looking down at the field anyway, so I could honestly care less if that thing is open or closed during the game.
Old 07-10-2008   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

It has worked a few times on kickoffs. Last year against the Jags come to mind. Ever since we messed up punt returns against the Bills in 06 Kubiak has used the sunlight to our favor.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #13
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 14 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

After that Pittsburgh game, I doubt we will ever try to use the heat as an advantage again. Too many fans were spoiled by the Astrodome and are too used to being comfortable during a game as opposed to the rest of the football universe who realize that weather is a factor in football games.

Many franchises actually get part of their identity from their weather. Green Bay, Chicago, New England, Buffalo, Cleveland have all used the cold to their advantage. Miami has used its warm weather to its advantage, as has Dallas. Miami, San Francisco, Oakland and recently Seattle have also had an advantage by playing in rainy conditions at home. When Minnesota moved into a domed stadium, they actually lost a large part of their identity and have gone from a tough defensive team to a team that is usually soft.

I'm afraid that prioritizing fan comfort works against what should be the highest priority for the Texans....winning games.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #14
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, it's not a very good plan to think you're going to use your stadium to help you win football games. Stadiums don't win football games, good teams do, in any stadium. Put a team on the field that wins football games, and I don't care if they play in the Fiesta parking lot.

You don't go to Lambeau in December and lose because of the stadium, or the weather that stadium allows in. You lose because the Packers are usually a pretty good football team. And when the Packers weren't very good back in the 70's and 80's, you go to Lambeau and beat them. Doesn't matter about the weather. Where was the stadium "advantage" then?

Personally, in this day and age of technology, I find it difficult to believe there was a miscalculation of sun angle by architects regarding Reliant. I think that's just the way it was going to be from the get go, once the rodeo said there needed to be a roof on the thing. The problem in the beginning was that they simply didn't have enough pallets to rotate. I think that has now been rectified. I don't recall the field looking as bad at the end of the year the last couple of seasons, as it did the 1st couple of years. They have adequate pallets now that they can switch out. Now, sometimes there's a problem switching when you have high school and college games Friday and Saturday, and then a Texans game Sunday. Yeah, the field will look a little worn then, but still nothing like I've seen Hienz Field and some of the other open air grass fields, look like in December.

Quote:
Many franchises actually get part of their identity from their weather. Green Bay, Chicago, New England, Buffalo, Cleveland have all used the cold to their advantage. Miami has used its warm weather to its advantage, as has Dallas. Miami, San Francisco, Oakland and recently Seattle have also had an advantage by playing in rainy conditions at home. When Minnesota moved into a domed stadium, they actually lost a large part of their identity and have gone from a tough defensive team to a team that is usually soft.
Again, that has nothing to do with stadiums and weather. It has to do with those teams being good. How come Miami hasn't used their so-called advantage lately? Or the Niners? Or Buffalo? Why, because it has nothing to do with their stadiums or the weather they play in. It has to do with their football teams not being very good.

What advantage or identity does Dallas have? They can play in 105 degree heat in September and then play an ice bowl game on Thanksgiving on the same field.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #15
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

If my memory serves me correctly, the architects did calculate for not only the Sun, but the prevailing wind direction as well, but they got trumped because those that have the ultimate say wanted the stadium to run parallel to Kirby, so that it would look better from the street.
Old 07-11-2008   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
After that Pittsburgh game, I doubt we will ever try to use the heat as an advantage again. Too many fans were spoiled by the Astrodome and are too used to being comfortable during a game as opposed to the rest of the football universe who realize that weather is a factor in football games.

I'm afraid that prioritizing fan comfort works against what should be the highest priority for the Texans....winning games.
It's not just a fan comfort thing. It is fan safety. They ran out of water, fans physically couldn't sit in the seats, and ambulances were all around the stadium.

The Texans have a huge file filled with all the problems that they had during the Pittsburgh game.

Reliant Stadium isn't an open air stadium. It is very vertical so little wind gets in. If it didn't have a roof, it wouldn't exist because the Texans owe their existence to the rodeo supporting the plan.

So:

Having a stadium with a retractable roof > no team at all.
Old 07-11-2008   #17
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Reliant Stadium isn't an open air stadium. It is very vertical so little wind gets in. If it didn't have a roof, it wouldn't exist because the Texans owe their existence to the rodeo supporting the plan.
The vertical seat design is its best feature IMO. The upper level seats I sat in at Reliant had a better view than my mezzanine season tickets I had at the dome.

Personally, given the advances in turf, I think Reliant should scrap the grass, put in turf and stick with the roof policy based purely on fan comfort.
Old 07-11-2008   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224914 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Personally, given the advances in turf, I think Reliant should scrap the grass, put in turf and stick with the roof policy based purely on fan comfort.
The players love the grass and I think the team should defer to them.

On the roof, I would just like them to open the range up a few degrees. No 95 degree games but edge it up 2-3 degrees this year and see how it works out so maybe we get more than one open roof game per season.
Old 07-11-2008   #19
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The players love the grass and I think the team should defer to them.
Agree if that's true. I was under the impression that many preferred the new turf as safer with more consistent footing.

Either way, you're right. The players should have the ultimate say.
Old 07-11-2008   #20
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 14 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

No, weather alone doesn't win games. But it can be a factor between teams that are closely matched. Look at the lack of success of dome teams playing in cold weather during the playoffs. I guarantee you that dome teams and southern teams have a better road record in games over 40 than in under 40.

I admit I didn't think about Reliant's vertical design. Yes, it does make it difficult for air to circulate compared to the open air stadiums I am used to like UT, A&M, Rice, Baylor, etc. However, Dallas has an even worse situation with that stupid little hole in the roof. I think a big problem with the Pittsburgh game was that fans and stadium personnel just weren't prepared for a hot weather game. If everyone knows that it is going to be a sauna and takes the proper precautions (including giving someone else your tickets if you aren't able to endure the heat), there wouldn't be so many problems.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read