Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-10-2008   #61
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Predict the 53-man roster

Maybe just another year or two for Salaam and that would be it.
Old 07-10-2008   #62
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Really? Only 1st round pick and zero high priced FAs. I wouldn't say the Texans have shopped strictly at the dollar store here, but it's nothing compared to the Saks prices spent on the d-line.

I'm having a difficult time believing I'm the guy defending Salaam's spot on the team. I wanted him replaced in the draft, and was hoping for Chris Williams. That didn't happen, but I've totally bought into the Duane Brown pick and am in total agreement that he should get every chance at the starting LT spot. Salaam has been a fringe starter his entire career. He's been replaced in Atlanta by Todd Weiner, in Denver by Matt Lepsis, in Jax by Khalif Barnes, and hopefully in Houston by Duane Brown. Salaam wouldn't have even been a starter the past 2 seasons but for injuries at the Tackle position.

But what Salaam has going for him is 9 seasons of starting experience in the NFL. Playing both Tackle spots. I understand that Rashad Butler has more potential, and could even beat Salaam for the swing Tackle spot. That would be great. But Brown and Butler have zero games as starting NFL Tackles between them. Zero.

I can't see Gary Kubiak and Alex Gibbs going into the season with that stat staring them in the face. I would consider Salaam a security blanket for the '08 season.
A season critical for this team and this staff. All goes well, they can send Salaam on his way in '09. Not just yet.
absolutely great post and great points all across the board.

key to me is i just don't see Kubiak being comfortable with D. Brown at LT without Salaam behind him for one season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If they thought Salaam wasn't going to make the squad, they would have let him go just as they did Quinn Gray....
...to give him a shot to get picked up by someone else prior to T/C.

I'm with Champ, Ole Miss, & Lucky. Salaam is damned good insurance at the LT spot. And with him not having to play every down in every game, I'm thinking that his spot appearances will be of higher quality.
and i think Salaam is that insurance policy that makes Kubiak comfortable throwing Brown to the wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Getting rid of Salaam would be like getting rid of Sage. Both have capabilities of stepping into the starting role if injuries come up, with out missing too much of a beat (if any). However, neither is a longterm answer for their respective positions on this team.
not taking anything away from the younger options but when it comes to security it's a pretty big gamble to have inexperience as your security net specifically for this one season

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If they thought Salaam wasn't going to make the squad, they would have let him go just as they did Quinn Gray....
...to give him a shot to get picked up by someone else prior to T/C.

I'm with Champ, Ole Miss, & Lucky. Salaam is damned good insurance at the LT spot. And with him not having to play every down in every game, I'm thinking that his spot appearances will be of higher quality.
great observation Obsi, i agree with that thinking as well. he would have been given a chance elsewhere. but i also agree with dull murphy that if salaam doesn't make the team that that says alot about our young talent that we do have.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #63
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, let me give this a shot.

QB- Schaub, Rosenfels, Boyd
RB- Green, Brown, Taylor, Slaton
FB- Leach, Cook
WR- Johnson, Walter, Davis, Jones, Anderson
OT- Winston, Brown, Salaam, Butler
OG- Pitts, Brisiel, Studdard
OC- Myers, White
TE- Daniels, Bruener, Dreessen

Total Offense- 26

DE- Williams, Weaver, Bulman, Colvin, Cochran
DT- Okoye, Johnson, Maddox, Okam
LB- Ryans, Greenwood, Diles, Thompson, Adibi, Bentley
CB- Bennett, Molden, Reeves, Faggins
S- Brown, Demps, Earl, Mitchell, Harrison

Total Defense- 24

LS- Pittman
K- Brown
P- Turk

Total ST- 3

Pup- Weary

IR- Robinson

PS- Abbate, Barber, Brink, Frye, Moffitt, Nading, Walker, Jenkins

Well, this is what I came up with for now. I know a lot will change between now and opening day, but this is what I think they will look like on opening day at this point in time. It's a fun exercise that keeps the brain going during this slow period.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #64
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Pittman will almost certainly make the team. I know it is tempting every year to get rid of the long snapper but almost every team has one.

They will probably carry more than 5 CB's.
I've seen a lot of LS's cut this off season. I think it goes 180 degrees against Kubiak's nature. Pittman makes the team.
Old 07-10-2008   #65
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I like it, but a couple of things:

1. I'm guessing Frye makes the team instead of Salaam
2. I also like Brandon Mitchell over either Fletcher or JWilliams.

Otherwise, I'm right there with you.
We'll see. My guess is Kubiak will keep the devil he knows over the devil he doesn't. he knows in pinch Salaam can give him Quality starts @ OLT. If they do this , cut a guy who provided them outstanding service above and beyond what anyone could of ever in their wildest dream expected at the time...Salaam would be the first vet they've screwed over. If anything they've done the exact opposite. all you know bout Frye at this point is that when weary went down, when the two centers went down...Frye wasn't an option.

Fletcher is the dime guy covering the slot. He's not going any where unless he's hurt.
Old 07-10-2008   #66
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
IR- Robinson
You're going to put him on the shelf for the year...with the contract expiring in an uncapped year ? Good luck with that one. Either they pup him with a new contract or cut him. There is no third option. IMHO.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 07-10-2008 at 11:41 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #67
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
all you know bout Frye at this point is that when weary went down, when the two centers went down...Frye wasn't an option.
Not that I'm disagreeing with you on this. But Frye wasn't an option because he was on IR, right? It wasn't like Studdard where they put him in and then pulled him back out and put White in and then finally Brisiel in.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #68
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Not that I'm disagreeing with you on this. But Frye wasn't an option because he was on IR, right? It wasn't like Studdard where they put him in and then pulled him back out and put White in and then finally Brisiel in.
all I remember is he got the one start then got hurt....before that, there was a dire need @ center, like the Atlanta game, where Grady Jackson lite up Flanagan like a Christmas tree, and he couldn't get on the field. Pitts was playing hurt, Salaam's playing hurt two centers down...Frye can't get on to the field. maybe I'm ready too much here. I can take a hint. Frye isn't playing center or OLT.
Old 07-11-2008   #69
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
all I remember is he got the one start then got hurt....before that, there was a dire need @ center, like the Atlanta game, where Grady Jackson lite up Flanagan like a Christmas tree, and he couldn't get on the field. Pitts was playing hurt, Salaam's playing hurt two centers down...Frye can't get on to the field. maybe I'm ready too much here. I can take a hint. Frye isn't playing center or OLT.
My bad. Frye was on the PS the first 8 games and then made the roster the final 8 games but was never activated for a game.

And... yeah, you're right. That's not a whole lot of confidence in the kid when we needed a warm body to stick in there. Especially if they're looking at him as a guard and not a tackle.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #70
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember reading that the Texans were going to try Frye at Guard.
Old 07-11-2008   #71
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
OK, let me give this a shot.

QB- Schaub, Rosenfels, Boyd
RB- Green, Brown, Taylor, Slaton
FB- Leach, Cook
WR- Johnson, Walter, Davis, Jones, Anderson
OT- Winston, Brown, Salaam, Butler
OG- Pitts, Brisiel, Studdard
OC- Myers, White
TE- Daniels, Bruener, Dreessen

Total Offense- 26

DE- Williams, Weaver, Bulman, Colvin, Cochran
DT- Okoye, Johnson, Maddox, Okam
LB- Ryans, Greenwood, Diles, Thompson, Adibi, Bentley
CB- Bennett, Molden, Reeves, Faggins
S- Brown, Demps, Earl, Mitchell, Harrison

Total Defense- 24

LS- Pittman
K- Brown
P- Turk

Total ST- 3

Pup- Weary

IR- Robinson

PS- Abbate, Barber, Brink, Frye, Moffitt, Nading, Walker, Jenkins

Well, this is what I came up with for now. I know a lot will change between now and opening day, but this is what I think they will look like on opening day at this point in time. It's a fun exercise that keeps the brain going during this slow period.
your probably right on almost all of these but i don't think Kubiak will keep Cook for another year with not only Abbate healthy but with such a deep backfield. correct me if im wrong but isn't one of the key attributes of Cook's game his versatility. now you have Walker on PS and Walker isn't a bad player. sure 3 out of the 5 RBs on the roster are injury prone but the number 5 looks pretty safe to me.

my only other prediction is that Grice-Mullen will come back during TC unless Simmons, Carter, or Tim McCoy show that they can beat out Anderson for the last spot. It happened with Walker last year and i remember a Rick Smith interview where he said that Walker couldn't believe he wasn't drafted after leaving after his junior season and got destracted during OTAs with that fact. i don't know if that is what happened here but consivably it could be. yeah he played in a pass heavy offense but he was still a threat. i don't know if he beats out Anderson for the 5th spot or even Jenkins for PS but he'll be back.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #72
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
You're not the only one!

I won't just parrot your comments, but given his experience, Salaam's probably the best choice to play OLT if for one reason or another, someone other than Brown is playing that position this year. If Brown plays every snap of the 2008 season at OLT, then Salaam is unquestionably the best option to be his backup.

When we talk CBs, you guys so infatuated with experience, be sure to pipe up in defense of Petey Faggins!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #73
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When we talk CBs, you guys so infatuated with experience, be sure to pipe up in defense of Petey Faggins!
Salaam's not as bad as Petey. Come on! Besides, didn't the Texans bring in a CB with some experience (Reeves)?
Old 07-11-2008   #74
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is not just about experience it is about who can at least be servicable and perform the job. Faggins sucks and is completely worthless in my opinion he is not even a good nickle corner. Hell I am not sure I would put him against any WR in the league cause I do not know any the run4.7 and are only 6' tall.

At least Salaam you can put in there and you know he is not a world beater but you know it was not be the autoban of DE going by him.
Old 07-11-2008   #75
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Salaam's not as bad as Petey. Come on! Besides, didn't the Texans bring in a CB with some experience (Reeves)?

1. Petey had a bad season last year, no doubt. However, many Jaguar fans would gladly tell you how bad Salaam was for a couple years as well. Also, just because overall sacks were down doesn't mean that I was dreaming when I saw Salaam getting thrown around like a rag doll most of the year.

2. We're going to start the season with a second year CB, Reeves (who has only started about 12 games in his career) and a Div. II rookie- as our top three CBs, probably.... Somehow, that situation doesn't encourage members of this board to want a stable veteran like Faggins... Yet, our OL has very good depth this year with plenty of tackle options to be explored, and people scream over keeping Salaam... I just don't get it!
Old 07-11-2008   #76
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Petey had a bad season last year, no doubt. However, many Jaguar fans would gladly tell you how bad Salaam was for a couple years as well. Also, just because overall sacks were down doesn't mean that I was dreaming when I saw Salaam getting thrown around like a rag doll most of the year.

2. We're going to start the season with a second year CB, Reeves (who has only started about 12 games in his career) and a Div. II rookie- as our top three CBs, probably.... Somehow, that situation doesn't encourage members of this board to want a stable veteran like Faggins... Yet, our OL has very good depth this year with plenty of tackle options to be explored, and people scream over keeping Salaam... I just don't get it!
1. After 2 years of decent (nobody said great) play, I don't care what Jacksonville fans think of Salaam any more than Patriots fans care what we (or Philly fans) think of Jabar Gaffney. I don't see Gibbs and Kubiak sitting down with him and saying "We just realized you sucked two years ago in J'ville, so we're gonna have to let you go.

2. Reeves has only started 14 games, but he's played in 60 games. I don't know how many of those were ST only, and how many were as a replacement or nickel, but I do know he's gone through 4 Training Camps, and 4 years worth of in-season practices and game review/prep.

And no, I don't compare Faggins to Salaam just because he has experience. If experience were the only thing I cared about, I'd still want Jordan Black around. Salaam is servicable as a starter, and above average as a backup. Typically guys don't spend 10-plus years in the NFL if they don't have something to offer. If you're going to try to bust on Reeves because he's only got "about 12" starts in the NFL, how about giving some credit to Salaam for having 129
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #77
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
1. After 2 years of decent (nobody said great) play, I don't care what Jacksonville fans think of Salaam any more than Patriots fans care what we (or Philly fans) think of Jabar Gaffney. I don't see Gibbs and Kubiak sitting down with him and saying "We just realized you sucked two years ago in J'ville, so we're gonna have to let you go.

2. Reeves has only started 14 games, but he's played in 60 games. I don't know how many of those were ST only, and how many were as a replacement or nickel, but I do know he's gone through 4 Training Camps, and 4 years worth of in-season practices and game review/prep.

And no, I don't compare Faggins to Salaam just because he has experience. If experience were the only thing I cared about, I'd still want Jordan Black around. Salaam is servicable as a starter, and above average as a backup. Typically guys don't spend 10-plus years in the NFL if they don't have something to offer. If you're going to try to bust on Reeves because he's only got "about 12" starts in the NFL, how about giving some credit to Salaam for having 129

I'm not busting on Reeves. I'm excited about him. I am not the one arguing that experience should carry heavy weight at a position. We've been in a talent deficit for a long time and have finally climbed out of it. So, the last thing I want to see this season are guys like : Salaam, Zoniga, Faggins, Fletcher, Ferguson, etc... make this team because they have experience. Meanwhile, talented players get cut becuase they are unproven.

Regarding Salaam, specifically, I'd rather have a fall back plan of using Pitts at LT if Brown and Butler falter if that enables us to keep a promising young player like Studdard or Frye.

I don't believe this team can win anything of significance with Salaam at LT. That's what I've learned from all of his experience in Houston. I appreciate his efforts and the contributions he made, much like I appreciated Ron Dayne, and Billy Miller... But they aren't good enough to contribute substantively on a team trying to win the AFC south and make Superbowls.
Old 07-11-2008   #78
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We just got Duane Brown to be our franchise LT.
Ephraim Salaam provides quality depth as a LT.

If Duane Brown goes down for an extended amount of time, Salaam provides servicable play. If Brown goes down due to injury, we've got problems. He'd be injured, unable to play, practice, etc. would lose the quality learning time and experience... it'd be Charles Spencer all over again. What I hear some of you saying is, IF that were to happen again you would want the next franchise young left tackle to be the back up to be able to step in and play without missing a beat.

I think it would be unrealistic to expect to get two brand new starter quality young left tackles in one offseason. Salaam is good insurance that gives us time to find quality starters/depth at other positions for another 1/2/3 years and not have to worry about finding one for the LT spot.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #79
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Regarding Derrick Roberson, I was wrong when I thought he was released.

It was a different guy, Derrick Johnson, who was cut.

5/29/2008 Waived CB Derrick Johnson

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #80
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL
Now you knew when you formed this thought it was wrong.
Like 3TP said, its the devil he knows vs. the devil he doesn't. And I'll say it again, if Kubes felt that Salaam was gonna be cut, he would have already released him out of respect. See Quinn Gray or Jordan Black.

Its not just experience
its the QUALITY of that experience vs. the quality of the alternatives.
OLT
Brown, Salaam, Frye, Butler
IMHO Salaam is the better option of the three guys behind Brown.

CB
Bennett, Reeves, J.Williams, Fletcher, Faggins, Molden, Roberson
Once you get past Reeves (we know he's only a placeholder till Dunta is 100%) and Molden (who's this year's project CB) you can put the others in a bag and grab any one of 'em.

My guess is, there's gonna be a free-for-all between Faggins, Fletcher, Williams, and Roberson for that last CB spot. And Petey may have the inside track due to starting experience with the team, but unlike Salaam, it wasn't of high enough quality to make me wanna keep him as "insurance". Actually, no one of that last four inspires gobs of confidence:
- Faggins' photo is in the dictionary next to the word "TOAST".
- Fletch is too small for my tastes.
- Williams was a decent cover guy in Seattle but didn't even make a team last year
- Roberson is a P/S guy without the size/speed that Molden brings to the table.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 07-12-2008 at 05:06 PM.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read